TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
KCobraII

DirecTv TiVo Advise

So, I've decided to retire my SD-DVR 80. With its tuner 2 issues, I'm afraid that if it gets much worse it will die and I won't be able to watch any of the shows I have recorded on it.

That leads me to my question for the group. I have several series 2 DTV TiVo's sitting on my shelf. An R10, HR10-250, SD DVR-40, HDVR2, and another SD DVR-80 (or maybe it's a 120). I also have access to a GXCEBOT. Is any of those more resistant to the tuner 2 pixelization issue than another? I have a replacement large hard drive I purchased during the recent rebooting issue, so original drive size is not a consideration.

It is my understanding that all of the SD boxes use the same software image, but the HR10-250 uses a different one? Is that correct? I'd like to keep the same image if possible so I could clone that part of my existing drive and keep my season passes and such.

Also, if I remove the access card from my existing DVR80, can I just insert it in the new unit and have it work since they are non RID boxes, or do I need to call DTV to authorize something?

Thanks.

Last edited by KCobraII : 12-17-2012 at 06:09 AM.
KCobraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, the HR10 uses a different image.

Were these old non-RID boxes previously on your account? If not, then DirecTV will not activate them for you.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
KCobraII

The only one that has been activated on my account is the SD-DVR80 that is on there now. The rest were picked up from a local DTV storefront or from a thrift store. Bought the HR10-250 brand new from Best Buy, but never activated it.

However, it was my understanding that since there is an active non RID unit on my account, I could replace it with another one (or even add an additional one) and DTV would do that ok. I also thought I read on here somewhere that since they are non RID units, you could just pull the card from the active unit and stick it in one of the others and it would work, and I wouldn't even have to call DTV. Since that's kind of the point of the RID on the newer units (to stop people from being able to do that). Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

That still leaves the question of whether any of the newer or older units have more robust power supplies. Sure don't want to have a similar problem in a few months after going to all this trouble.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I will admit that I am not certain about what will happen if you just swap the cards. You should try it and see.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If you are moving the access card from one non-RID box to another non-RID box, you can use this link at directv.com to refresh your account and make the new box work: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydire...horization.jsp

If you put the card in an RID box, it may or may not work. A phone call may be required.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

It's been a number of years since I've owned a DTivo (I'm not sure why I popped into this thread ). Anyway, the tuner 2 pixellation is typically caused by a bad capacitor on the power supply. This is an easy fix if you are the least bit handy with a soldering iron. If not, since you have a number of other DTivos, you can just swap out the power supply. I believe the DVR-40, DVR-80 and HDVR2 all use the same power supply.

By swapping out the power supplies you don't have to worry about whether you can activate a replacement unit or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Spud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
KCobraII

Thanks everyone for the replies.

For a couple of follow-ups... The power supplies in the spare Hughes series 2 units have all been removed and used in my current SD DVR-80. All except one. Most would work for a month or two before they started the same pixelization. I tried to repair one of them with a couple of new capacitors, and it worked fine until the first time I plugged in the S-video cable. Then it immediately started the same pixelization. I rarely use S-vid, but do on occasion. I am going to replace all the capacitors on one of the power supplies just to see if it works, but wanted to get something workable in place before Christmas.

Also, the reason I didn't want to just swap the card into a new machine without checking is I was afraid the new DVR might write something to the card if it didn't work that would prevent it from working in the original DVR, and then I would be without anything until I was sent a new card. I don't know if those cards even are writable, but that was my concern.

So, now that apparently I can swap the DVR out, I'm still wondering if any other series 2 Directivo is more resistant to the power supply pixelization issues than another one. I'm leaning toward the R10 since I believe it's the newest of the lot, but even if it meant obtaining another unit like the Philips or Sony, I would do that if it meant I would have less hassle in the future.

Also, I am running 6.4a on my DVR-80. I don't remember the build number after that, but was wondering if all the series 2 units (other than the HR10) used the exact same version, or are they different? I'd like to clone the part of my drive that has the season passes and such. I know my shows won't work in the new unit, but if I could bring the basic stuff it would help a lot. I am looking specifically at the comparison to an HDVR2 or an R10 since they are the easiest for me to get to.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I do appreciate it.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

HDVR2 and GXCEBOT are non-rid. Should be able to move the card to one of these and run the link from earlier to get programming again on one of them. Also, the Philips DSR7000 is non-rid.

The R10 is not hackable without a PROM mod. So, I'd stick with the HDVR2... if it were me.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote