TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #151
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

After 15 minutes in I realized I didn't care about anyone and deleted the episode and SP. I'm not going to commit to a series I know will be cancelled.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #152
danterner
Not it!

I predict that Giancarlo Espisito's character will begin to have growing respect for Charlie's brother, and will eventually take him under his wing. Some sort of Stockholm Syndrome relationship will develop, and by the time Charlie finally reaches her brother (at the end of this season), he'll be fully involved as a member of the militia. Maybe even directly involved with Monroe.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #153
DouglasPHill

One of my favorite books is The Stand. The second he said Stu Redmond and Franny I was rolling on the floor. My wife had to ask why.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #154
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
After 15 minutes in I realized I didn't care about anyone and deleted the episode and SP. I'm not going to commit to a series I know will be cancelled.
And yet it was just renewed for a full season...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #155
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
It shouldn't be cancelled this season since they got an order for a full season yesterday. The ratings are currently very good for Revolution.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #156
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And yet it was just renewed for a full season...
Didn't The Event and FlashForward also get a full season ticket?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #157
Win Joy Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Didn't The Event and FlashForward also get a full season ticket?

True, but they also got "retooled" mid-season. That has not happened for Revolution. Could it? Maybe...
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #158
aaronwt
HD Addict

As long as they keep getting decent ratings they will be ok. If the ratings start to drop alot then that is another story. But currently it's beating everything in it's time slot by a good margin. (At least in the demographic that matters to advertisers)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #159
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
How do they make US flag tattoos? Don't know how tattoos are made but would think modern tattoos require electricity
The only requirement for a tattoo is some sort of needle and some sort of pigment.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #160
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
The only requirement for a tattoo is some sort of needle and some sort of pigment.
Sure, but an intricate us flag tattoo is certainly going to be a lot more effort.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #161
Craigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
One of my favorite books is The Stand. The second he said Stu Redmond and Franny I was rolling on the floor. My wife had to ask why.
+ 1. I thought it was great. At least one writer is a fan of the Stand. Not to mention the unknown baddie called Randall. I immediately thought Flagg.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #162
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Sure, but an intricate us flag tattoo is certainly going to be a lot more effort.
I'm not saying it's quick and easy, and in fact I think it's kind of ridiculous to think the rebels would take the time to do it given the situation they're in. I'm just saying it doesn't require any electricity. Lots and lots of absolutely beautiful tattooing was going on long, long, long before anyone ever even thought about electricity.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #163
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
I'm not saying it's quick and easy, and in fact I think it's kind of ridiculous to think the rebels would take the time to do it given the situation they're in. I'm just saying it doesn't require any electricity. Lots and lots of absolutely beautiful tattooing was going on long, long, long before anyone ever even thought about electricity.
True. And the whole us flag tattoo thing is kind of weird anyway since, as I alluded to earlier, there are a LOT of people who currently already have them. Unless they go around and force the removal of them, it's not really all that significant for someone to have one.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #164
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
True. And the whole us flag tattoo thing is kind of weird anyway since, as I alluded to earlier, there are a LOT of people who currently already have them. Unless they go around and force the removal of them, it's not really all that significant for someone to have one.
That wouldn't be a problem. Tattoos that were made with electricity would have disappeared.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #165
robojerk

I looked and looked, but I couldn't find a tattoo gun on the interwebs that worked by pumping a treadle with your foot instead of using electricity. I'm sure one exists out there, I found dental drill that worked by pumping a foot, and of course there's sewing machine's.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #166
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
The tattoo only used one color ink and the flag only had 13 stars, didn't seem that intricate to me.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #167
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
The tattoo only used one color ink and the flag only had 13 stars, didn't seem that intricate to me.
There were at least three ink colors (white, blue, and red or black - can't tell from screen caps). The stars were tiny. That would be pretty impressive work for a prison tattoo.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #168
Dawghows

Quote:
There were at least three ink colors (white, blue, and red or black - can't tell from screen caps). The stars were tiny. That would be pretty impressive work for a prison tattoo.
I think it's just red & blue, with her skin serving as white. And there's no reason it has to be a "prison" tattoo in regards to the skill level. As I said, there were plenty of people doing gorgeous tattoo work long before there were any powered needles.

Again, I'm not saying there's any good reason for the rebels to be doing this in the context of the story that's being told here. I'm just saying that tattoos can be done, and done very well, without any modern technology whatsoever.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #169
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I looked and looked, but I couldn't find a tattoo gun on the interwebs that worked by pumping a treadle with your foot instead of using electricity. I'm sure one exists out there, I found dental drill that worked by pumping a foot, and of course there's sewing machine's.
Just a plain old sewing needle will work just fine. No machine necessary. It won't be quick, it won't be convenient, and it won't make any story sense in this show, but it will work. I promise.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #170
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
I think it's just red & blue, with her skin serving as white. And there's no reason it has to be a "prison" tattoo in regards to the skill level. As I said, there were plenty of people doing gorgeous tattoo work long before there were any powered needles.

Again, I'm not saying there's any good reason for the rebels to be doing this in the context of the story that's being told here. I'm just saying that it tattoos can be done, and done very well, without any modern technology whatsoever.
Yes. I'm agreeing with you. The tattoo is more impressive than a typical prison tattoo (though some prison tattoos are pretty impressive!) and seemed like a lot of effort for what it is supposed to be.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #171
Haps
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
That's is the one believable thing about this show, that we'd go to hell in a hand basket within 15 years.
I would expect hell to arrive during the first 2-5 years. But 15 years later I would think normal societies would be back.
Haps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #172
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

We were driving through Wilmington, NC this summer from the beach house and my wife says "Hey their filming a civil war scene". Now thinking back it must have been a "Revolution" scene.

Was the military using muskets?? Why are rifles/ shotguns so rare? I have three in my basement with plenty of ammo they can use. I know only a few hard core deer hunters that use muskets to get a few extra weeks of deer hunting in but shotguns and rifles are quite bountiful.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #173
aaronwt
HD Addict

Well it is 15 years later. I'm sure it was hell for many years while the global herd was thinned out.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #174
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Show is moving too slow for me.. hard for me to really get into it. Gotta pick up the pace.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #175
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Show is moving too slow for me.. hard for me to really get into it. Gotta pick up the pace.
It's moving too slowly on the central mythology side of things for me. I don't really care that what that one soldier has to tell to his dead buddy's wife, or that what's-her-name is doing it for her miscarried kid, or that the other lady's son had asthma, or how Elizabeth Mitchell shot that guy for stealing their stuff. This show isn't written well-enough to be able to get away with it like Lost did. I want to know what caused the "event", where those amulets came from, how did Miles' brother come by it, etc., etc.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #176
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

yeah... Me too. I want to know about the power outage.. More on that. less on the current day crap. even the history of the militia. I would think they would have some flash backs back PRIOR to the black out. And why haven't they shown us other people that have power and computers??

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #177
RickStrobel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
I want to know what caused the "event", where those amulets came from, how did Miles' brother come by it, etc., etc.
What would they have left once that was revealed?

Shows like this can be a drag because you know if they ever solve the main problem (i.e. get the electricity back) the show would be over. Just like if Gilligan got off the island.

Another nit-pick: the condition of the houses...

They act like every house is pretty normal except they burn candles. Wouldn't they all be rotting and mold infested after 15 years? Roofs would eventually leak. Water would freeze in the winter. Rain would come in because not everything would remain perfectly sealed.
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #178
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
They act like every house is pretty normal except they burn candles. Wouldn't they all be rotting and mold infested after 15 years? Roofs would eventually leak. Water would freeze in the winter. Rain would come in because not everything would remain perfectly sealed.
Yeah, I want to see the outhouses they all presumably have in the backyard because the bathrooms are unusable, or see everyone sleeping outside in the summer because the windows aren't big enough to get much air into the house...
Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #179
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'm still watching for now. I did get a huge kick out of Miles introducing himself and Charlie as Stu Redman and Franny. I just started re-reading The Stand on Sunday so that jumped out at me.
Yup - that hooked me, too.

I love clever pop culture references - this one worked!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #180
stellie93

Quote:

Another nit-pick: the condition of the houses...

My grandmother grew up in a farmhouse with no electricity and no running water--it stood there for quite a few years. They still have hammers and nails and nothing to do except hunt and plant--no tv, no internet. To me the interesting part of these shows is how they adjust to this kind of stuff, but they're pretty much ignoring that. That tiny little patch of corn they had in their "village"--in 15 years you should have bigger fields than that.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote