Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #121
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
I don't have an iPhone but it could conceivably get the date and time from GPS satellites if they were still working.

Lithium ion batteries probably would have self-discharged in a year or less. Most have a low (and high) voltage protection circuit. Once a battery discharges below a certain voltage level, the circuit kicks in and won't allow the battery to be recharged. A lithium ion battery that has sat for too long below a certain voltage will deteriorate and become dangerous to recharge.

The battery might last that long if it was kept in a partially-charged state by receiving maintenance charges every few months.
The iPhone gets its time from the cell network, so my take is that the date and time were wrong,

As for the battery, the fact that it still worked makes me think that the issue with electricity is that electrons are locked in place. That would explain the lack of electricity working as well as the lack of any leaking in the battery. Though that wouldn't explain why electricity still works inside the human body.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #122
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Another thing that bugs me is how can anyone belong to a militia where your CO uses your life to deplete the bullet inventory of your enemy.
That was so ridiculously stupid that it was actually funny.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #123
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I think this is the first TV drama that properly showed that car doors (and houses) aren't bullet proof. If for nothing else, that gets this episode a thumbs up...
Double thumbs up for me....that shot through the car door was awesome...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #124
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
...To my surprise, the Google guy is the most compelling character so far...
I just can't get past the obvious fact that his glasses are SO fake...
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #125
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post

I just can't get past the obvious fact that his glasses are SO fake...
Someone once pointed out something to me about glasses on television shows, and now that I know it I can't stop looking for it (and I see it all the time) -- very often, you can see reflections of prompters and monitors (or reflections of the greenscreen itself) in actors' glasses. Look for glowing green squarish reflections. They're often edited out in post, but frequently get missed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #126
voripteth
User Advocate

The premise that the lack of electricity causes the downfall of society I find hard to swallow. We did just fine for thousands of years before electrification. Will it be a pain to go back to using older technologies? Sure! Somehow the series completely ignores the resourcefulness of humanity.

Take bullets for example. Revolution says they can't be made any more yet this Wikipedia article says there were invented in the 1800's before electricity.

My father restores antique cars so I went to many antique car shows growing up and saw dozens steam powered cars, trucks and tractors in my local area. Steam powered trains would certainly still be around as well. Heck, why don't we see bicycles everywhere?

Perhaps there will be explanations in future episodes but for now the premise feels poorly thought through.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #127
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth View Post
The premise that the lack of electricity causes the downfall of society I find hard to swallow. We did just fine for thousands of years before electrification. Will it be a pain to go back to using older technologies? Sure! Somehow the series completely ignores the resourcefulness of humanity.
My great-great grandfather probably shot and ate squirrels. I don't have a gun, probably couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and have no clue how to prepare a squirrel, or even start a fire to cook one without electricity. I doubt that any of my neighbors could either. Sure, humanity will survive, but a lot of indivdual humans won't and I could easily see the disruptions bringing down society as we know it.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #128
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #129
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Well, let's put it this way... a lot of people can see it happening and don't feel the need for the story to fill in the gaps. But some people don't see it happening. Which goes to my original point... they should show it even if it's what some people assumed would happen. The more we talk about it, however, the more convinced I am that the writers don't think deeply about such things. The show has a great opportunity to address a lot of interesting questions about a world like they've set up, but seems only interested in swashbuckling, whiny teens, and boogeymen so far.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #130
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
My great-great grandfather probably shot and ate squirrels. I don't have a gun, probably couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and have no clue how to prepare a squirrel, or even start a fire to cook one without electricity. I doubt that any of my neighbors could either. Sure, humanity will survive, but a lot of indivdual humans won't and I could easily see the disruptions bringing down society as we know it.
Exactly. Those people "grew out" of the old ways and into an electric era. They already possed the required skills to survive. Most people don't possess any of those skills today because we haven't known anything different than what we've grown up with.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #131
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Seriously.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #132
pmyers

The Iphone discussion did leave me with a question.....I wonder how far reaching this "blackout" is. We know that planes fell from the sky but what about satellites? Are they still in orbit or did those come crashing down too?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #133
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Exactly. Those people "grew out" of the old ways and into an electric era. They already possed the required skills to survive. Most people don't possess any of those skills today because we haven't known anything different than what we've grown up with.
I think you would be surprised at how many people have such skills. Mostly hipsters. I hope you will all welcome the hipster overlords who have been practicing whole hog butchering, pickling, and mustache growing of late. Cue the Portlandia dream of the 1890's sketch.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #134
Win Joy Jr

Very good question...

Quote:
The Iphone discussion did leave me with a question.....I wonder how far reaching this "blackout" is. We know that planes fell from the sky but what about satellites? Are they still in orbit or did those come crashing down too?
Did the "Event" extend past the atmosphere? If so, how far? If it did not, then the sats in orbit would safe and be floating along if their orbits are high enough. Others would have re-enterd and burned up. ISS? not sure if it would still be in orbit. i wonder what happened to the crew? did they abondon the station and do a blind re-entry? After 15 years of no communications from the ground, the ones still in orbit would be dead from no management, so solar array and battery management would not have been done, leading to electrical systems failures.

It seems the laws of physics regarding gravity and momentum are not affected, so nothing tells me that they would have fallen from orbit...
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #135
dtle

First of all, here's a quote: "Any society is only three square meals away from revolution"

Secondly, we saw that Monroe and Miles killed the thugs six months after the blackout, and picking the 3rd guy. I assumed as they travel to Chicago, they will pick up more men for their militia. Once they get there, there will be a power vacuum, and they will gradually rule the area.

As for "the Event", I've wondering since the 1st episode, if there's any significant to the order in which the blackout started. As you can see from the Earth view, it started on the East Coast and then move to the West Coast, instead of going dark all of the sudden. Maybe it's just done for dramatic effect.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #136
Win Joy Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
No, you are the one missing the point. I read what you wrote. Some is correct, much is incorrect. But that is irrelevant to the fact that it does not explain the inconsistency of why Monroe is able to rule while none of the established government police and military from 15 years ago were able to adapt to provide some amount of order. You can't have it both ways.
The local militia did not adapt, they saw an opportunity and seized it. And you seem to be thinking that the 2 are happening in close time proximity to the other. I do not think that happened, nor have we seen any information to draw that conclusion. The US Government may have fallen / evaporated in a short time and the militia did not start to rise until weeks/months/years after the event.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #137
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200

No, you are the one missing the point. I read what you wrote. Some is correct, much is incorrect. But that is irrelevant to the fact that it does not explain the inconsistency of why Monroe is able to rule while none of the established government police and military from 15 years ago were able to adapt to provide some amount of order. You can't have it both ways.
You don't even know when Monroe took power. Everything had to collapse before rebuilding started. It probably took a while for Monroe to get any kind of power. By that time the military was long gone. The militias gained power after they were able to meet their basic needs and grow from there.

Most soldiers would have left before basic needs were met or they could do anything useful. You really seem to think soldiers are robots and not human beings.

If Monroe took over five years in cant you see how that is vastly different from paid soldiers doing something in the wake of the black out?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #138
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

It is still not clear to me why anyone thinks that Monroe is able to meet the basic needs of people. Or do you just mean of his own militia? That is reasonable, but so far it doesn't seem like the random farm collectives are actually getting anything out of the relationship. It's kind of a seven samurai situation as far as I can tell. And I have no doubt they will rip off seven samurai at least once this season.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #139
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
It is still not clear to me why anyone thinks that Monroe is able to meet the basic needs of people. Or do you just mean of his own militia? That is reasonable, but so far it doesn't seem like the random farm collectives are actually getting anything out of the relationship. It's kind of a seven samurai situation as far as I can tell. And I have no doubt they will rip off seven samurai at least once this season.
I believe....that protection was mentioned when the milita came to the "sub division". I could be wrong though.

So far, the relationship does seem to be severly one sided.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #140
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
I believe....that protection was mentioned when the milita came to the "sub division". I could be wrong though.

So far, the relationship does seem to be severly one sided.
I think you meant, "protection" ... and I assume you mentally said it with a cliched mafia accent.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #141
pmyers

Quote:
I think you meant, "protection" ... and I assume you mentally said it with a cliched mafia accent.
and "air quotes".
Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #142
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wonder why the amulet came on all by itself? Didn't Grace have to push the button to turn it on? And, was the amulet on the table the one Grace had, or the one now belonging to Mr. Google?

Questions......

Dave
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #143
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
I wonder why the amulet came on all by itself? Didn't Grace have to push the button to turn it on? And, was the amulet on the table the one Grace had, or the one now belonging to Mr. Google?

Questions......

Dave
Don't they light up when someone else with an activated one is nearby? I thought we saw that last episode.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #144
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Another thing that bugs me is how can anyone belong to a militia where your CO uses your life to deplete the bullet inventory of your enemy.
Yeah, I was waiting for someone to waste him, but he obviously has a connection to our hero, so he survives.

Quote:
Don't they light up when someone else with an activated one is nearby? I thought we saw that last episode.
Or maybe not so nearby? Is that how Grace connected with the person on the other end of the computor?

When this occurred, first a huge percentage of people in even smaller cities would die, then the rest would overrun the nearly countryside, and lots of them would die--then you would have dead bodies everywhere plus no sanitation, so another big group of the survivors would get sick and die.... How many years would it take to be able to form any kind of societal organization? I wonder how big an area and how many people are really controlled by this militia? I can't imagine it's huge. The whole idea of reforming the United States does seem really stupid. Forming a democracy instead of a dictatorship, that I can see.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #145
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
When this occurred, first a huge percentage of people in even smaller cities would die, then the rest would overrun the nearly countryside, and lots of them would die--then you would have dead bodies everywhere plus no sanitation, so another big group of the survivors would get sick and die.... How many years would it take to be able to form any kind of societal organization? I wonder how big an area and how many people are really controlled by this militia? I can't imagine it's huge. The whole idea of reforming the United States does seem really stupid. Forming a democracy instead of a dictatorship, that I can see.
I'd guess that there's a whole slew of militias, most of which don't even control a whole state. I can't see a pre-electric (oops, post-electric) government controlling more than a fraction of a nation as big as ours.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #146
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Someone once pointed out something to me about glasses on television shows, and now that I know it I can't stop looking for it (and I see it all the time) -- very often, you can see reflections of prompters and monitors (or reflections of the greenscreen itself) in actors' glasses. Look for glowing green squarish reflections. They're often edited out in post, but frequently get missed.
What I've heard is that prop glasses often don't have lenses to avoid the reflection issue. Another technique is to make the lenses so they are perfectly flat on the front (not sure how that helps, perhaps it reduces glare off lights since there's a smaller range of vunerable angles).
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #147
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I'd guess that there's a whole slew of militias, most of which don't even control a whole state. I can't see a pre-electric (oops, post-electric) government controlling more than a fraction of a nation as big as ours.
They've bascially gone back to a feudal structure. How big was a barony?
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #148
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
What I've heard is that prop glasses often don't have lenses to avoid the reflection issue. Another technique is to make the lenses so they are perfectly flat on the front (not sure how that helps, perhaps it reduces glare off lights since there's a smaller range of vunerable angles).
Ugh...well, it didn't work. That was SO distracting on Google guy in this ep. Every time he moved his head, those flat pieces of glass (NOT lenses) reflected so much light...curved lenses don't reflect nearly as much.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #149
RickStrobel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
After fourteen days of a blackout with no communication and millions of dead people, nobody is staying around to protect the non existent United States.

Food. Shelter and water and security are primary goals for everybody.
Reading this gave me one thought - soylent green! Wouldn't canabalism become rampant? Millions of people are dying. No immediate sources of food?

How do they make US flag tattoos? Don't know how tattoos are made but would think modern tattoos require electricity.

Wonder if Monroe is behind the initial cause of the blackout. Seems that he had a bit on unabomber-esque anti-technology bent to him. Remember him and Miles in the car? He was complaining that the young girl he was hitting on would only communicate via text messaging

Loved how the iPhone powered up and the date was September 17th - the exact date of episode 1. Also funny seeing the "Searching…" on the display. Must have been an AT&T iPhone
RickStrobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #150
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
Loved how the iPhone powered up and the date was September 17th - the exact date of episode 1. Also funny seeing the "Searching…" on the display. Must have been an AT&T iPhone
It was just nice to see that it wasn't being used to make a phone call in airplane mode like some other shows do.

Also the real reason the woman is dragging around an iPhone is because Apple sponsors the show.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote