Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
aaronwt
HD Addict

Revolution--S01E03--10/01/2012--"No Quarter"

Another good episode.

Now let's start all the complaining about it not being realistic.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
allan
I survived the Mayan

I haven't even seen it yet, and I'm ready to complain about that.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I haven't even seen it yet, and I'm ready to complain about that.
I think that's a pretty unrealistic attitude.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Another good episode.
Really?

I am still looking for the first good episode........
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
tiams

This show reminds me of Terra Nova. That's not a good thing.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
DougF

The iPod turned on and she got to see her kids!!!!!!!!! I never saw that coming.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
klj
Tivo Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
Really?

I am still looking for the first good episode........
lol. i was thinking the exact same thing.
klj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
mwhip
All better

Yeah I am still kinda waiting for it to find its footing. The "reveals" are setup like they were on Lost but the music and acting is just not the same it all falls flat. Charley is getting on my nerves, she has lived in a post apocalyptic world most of her life and someone she just meets who is dying on a table makes her cry?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Yeah I am still kinda waiting for it to find its footing. The "reveals" are setup like they were on Lost but the music and acting is just not the same it all falls flat. Charley is getting on my nerves, she has lived in a post apocalyptic world most of her life and someone she just meets who is dying on a table makes her cry?

It was established on the first episode that her father sheltered her. She had to sneak away to viiew any of the outside world and that was only for a very short trip. Like she did in the first episode. And her father did not want to make any waves with the militia either so they kept quiet and paid taxes and did what they were told.

I'm actually surprised how well she has done considering she was sheltered. She grew up in a sheltered area and was not seeing dead people or people killed like she is now.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see the preliminary ratings are in. Revolution dropped 6% from last week but still won it's time slot(18-49 which is what the advertisers care about) with it's 3.2 rating compared to a 1.9 for castle and a 1.9 for Hawaii Five 0.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...r-fall/150950/
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Martha

I'm still watching for now. I did get a huge kick out of Miles introducing himself and Charlie as Stu Redman and Franny. I just started re-reading The Stand on Sunday so that jumped out at me.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'm still watching for now. I did get a huge kick out of Miles introducing himself and Charlie as Stu Redman and Franny. I just started re-reading The Stand on Sunday so that jumped out at me.
So that is where the names came from? I see he also referenced The Shawshank Redemption.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
So that is where the names came from? I see he also referenced The Shawshank Redemption.
Yes, clearly he's the Sawyer of the show.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
dwatt

That and the Randall "Randall Flagg" bad guy character at the computer lady's door in episode 2. It seems the writers are trying to steal/borrow credibility from previous post apocalyptic stories/authors.

Quote:

dwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatt View Post
That and the Randall "Randall Flagg" bad guy character at the computer lady's door in episode 2. It seems the writers are trying to steal/borrow credibility from previous post apocalyptic stories/authors.
That was what I was thinking as well. I smiled when his name was Randall, but I loudly groaned when Miles gave his introduction. They're trying hard, "HEY AUDIENCE? See??? We know the same references YOU do!"

So that set it all up for me to be disappointed, then the music & phone powering up due to the device pushed me over the edge. On one hand, I'm happy they're doing these reveals quickly, but on the other, it was a REALLY stupid scene.

Remember, I'm the guy who usually defends these things.

My 10-year-old loves the show so far, but loves anything post-apocolyptic or action oriented, or with dinosaurs. He's still mourning Terra Nova, but I told him this morning, don't be too upset when Revolution is cancelled. At least he still has Falling Skies.

I also kept thinking something was missing, then I realized that this is the Walking Dead without the walking dead.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Yeah, I caught that immediately too. Definitely appropriate in a post-apocalyptic story.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Seattle

I still like the show and will keep watching. I thought the Back to the Future reference was funny (Lone Pine Mall).
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
I told him this morning, don't be too upset when Revolution is cancelled.
He's probably not going to be upset anytime soon - the ratings in the key demo (where Revolution is dominating both Castle and Hawaii:5-0) are going to keep this around for a while.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
He's probably not going to be upset anytime soon - the ratings in the key demo (where Revolution is dominating both Castle and Hawaii:5-0) are going to keep this around for a while.
Revolution has been picked up for a full season. Just announced.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

Sweet!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
stellie93

Quote:

I'm actually surprised how well she has done considering she was sheltered. She grew up in a sheltered area and was not seeing dead people or people killed like she is now.
Sheltered, but pretty good with a crossbow--I was surprised they let her take the shot at the bomb thingy.

I'm liking the flashbacks more than the current stories right now. And the girl just seems out of place with the rest of the show.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yup, I just came on to mention it but you beat me to it. But have no fear, here's a link.

I'll tell my son, he'll be happy.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

I've enjoyed it so far.

When I saw the Apple logo appear on her phone, I teared up. (Not because she'd get to see her kids, but because, hey, iPhone. Warmed my heart).
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 10-02-2012 at 09:00 PM.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
morac
Cat God

I think this is the first TV drama that properly showed that car doors (and houses) aren't bullet proof. If for nothing else, that gets this episode a thumbs up.

Also they brought up how quickly society crumbled and showed why the militia was formed.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
Gene S

I hope they don't turn into a big militia oriented show. That's what happened to Jerico and Terra Nova. They all started out as sci-fi type premises, then slowly turned into "cowboys vs Indians".
I did like all the talk about the Rebel Alliance, thought I was watching Star Wars. Kept waiting for someone to spit out the "dirty scums" reference.
I also think its neat that after 15 years, they still have an abundance of candles. Every room has like 50 of them burning. Yankee Candle must have gotten an advance notice of the power outage and ramped up production.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
The iPod turned on and she got to see her kids!!!!!!!!! I never saw that coming.
iPhone, not iPod.

I sure wish my iPhone booted that fast.. I'd turn it off more often (to conserve battery).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #27
cheesesteak
Meh.

I can't stand Charley even a little bit but I'll keep watching for a while hoping her character becomes less annoying over time. Her self righteousness and constant furrowed brow gets on my nerves.

Why were the militia troops using Civil War era rifles? Where would the blackout reduce government troops to using antiquated rifles?

The comparisons to Terra Nova are spot on. I'm not expecting much depth.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts

Last edited by cheesesteak : 10-03-2012 at 07:17 AM.
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #28
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Watched Ep3 last night. It's sort of hanging on by a thread for me.

I'm already tired of all the swashbucking scenes. Yawn.

But it still has a TINY nugget of strangeness to keep me watching to see if it gets better and more exciting.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
danterner
Not it!

There's a fundamental difference between the concepts of evolution and revolution, and one does not necessarily lead to the other. Thus far we've seen nothing to suggest that this show has anything whatsoever to do with evolution. The title card, therefore is interesting to me, as the animation seems to make a big deal over flashing the R off and on. I wonder if that's just a stylistic thing ("hey, those two words look almost alike, let's do something with that!") or if the show will eventually develop into something having to do with evolution. I doubt it, based on what we've seen so far.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene S View Post
I did like all the talk about the Rebel Alliance, thought I was watching Star Wars. Kept waiting for someone to spit out the "dirty scums" reference.
When my wife and I watched it, it was so clear Miles is Han Solo, and Nora is Princess Leia, which means Charlie is Luke?? Okay, that's not as good a fit, but Miles and Han are so alike it's painful.

This show is quickly slipping into "maybe I'll be in the room while it airs" for me. At any moment if you press Pause I can tell you what will happen in the next five minutes, and even get a lot of the dialog right, down to the word. The fight scenes are dull, none of the surprises are surprises, and the plot depends way too much on people being stupid and/or not talking to one another even when they have every reason to do so.

The big question for me is whether we're going to get more exploration of how the world changed, and how it got to where it is, after the blackout; each episode gives enough of that to tantalize, which is why I haven't given up, but not enough to convince me they have solid answers.

To my surprise, the Google guy is the most compelling character so far. His comment about how the blackout turned the world back into a big playground of bullies is the most insightful thing said yet about the effect that the blackout had on the world. When you think "how would I react to this?" you always start by thinking of having to deal without your favorite technology, or the ability to travel, and jump right from there to post-apocalypse; but his comment is the kind of thing that is (just slightly) less obvious but would end up more impactful on your life. (Assuming you survived. I doubt I would!)

The fact that the first thing he did with power was listen to music made me think, that's probably one of the things I'd do, too. 15 years without hearing music other than my own singing would make me batty. (On the up side, with no jobs and no computers, assuming I could scrounge up a drum kit, I would finally have the time to learn it. Maybe I could form a band!)