TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
pigbat

Strange Cancellation Experience

I've been a customer since 2004 and needed to upgrade to a premiere or move to a cable DVR due to a migration to MPEG-4 transition at our cable co. I figured I'd call and explain my situation. Our cable DVR is actually cheaper than Tivo service on a new unit so I assumed they would try to sell me a premiere and I'd try to get grandfathered in on my plan. There was absolutely no attempt to keep me as a customer. I called and was cancelled within 5 minutes.

Bravo for making cancellation easy but I would have been an easy customer to retain. I'm not sure I understand their business model.
pigbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

If you wanted a deal, then you should have asked for one. I'm not sure you would have goon anything other than cheap lifetime on your old unit.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
pigbat

I would have settled with them asking to retain my business. At that point I would have asked for a deal. They could have said no and I may have opted to still buy a Premiere. The fact that they didn't even attempt to retain is a little shocking.

No big deal I guess. I already have one cable DVR and ill just get a second one for now. I am also a current Tivo stock owner so I'm just a little dismayed at their lack of training for the associates to retain. I suppose they are more focused on revenue from patent law than subscription revenue.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
MeInDallas

What kind of deal were you looking for when you called in?

Usually if you dont get the deal you want when you call, its better sometimes to just let the dust settle, and call back later and get someone different. I did that when I got the $99 lifetime deal on my TivoHD's. The first person I talked to didnt want to do it, so I called back the next day and got it right away. A lot of times it just depends on who you get on the phone at Tivo.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
pigbat

My provider is changing things up so lifetiming my HD is no good to me. The Tivo HD doesn't support MPEG-4 programming. I was planning to buy a Premiere if I could grandfather the $6.95 MSD. It was pretty clear this wasn't an option so I went ahead and asked to be cancelled. They transferred me to the advanced billing team who processed my cancellation.

Like I said, no big deal. My DVR service through Cox is actually cheaper than going the Tivo route when you start to look at the higher MSD pricing. I will probably be back at some point but I'll wait for new hardware to be released and either go with a second Cox DVR or just a Roku for now.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
trip1eX

YOu did like I do sometimes. Don't care if you stay with a decent deal or get canceled. And just like to see what happens if you don't influence them.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigbat View Post
My provider is changing things up so lifetiming my HD is no good to me. The Tivo HD doesn't support MPEG-4 programming. I was planning to buy a Premiere if I could grandfather the $6.95 MSD. It was pretty clear this wasn't an option so I went ahead and asked to be cancelled. They transferred me to the advanced billing team who processed my cancellation.

Like I said, no big deal. My DVR service through Cox is actually cheaper than going the Tivo route when you start to look at the higher MSD pricing. I will probably be back at some point but I'll wait for new hardware to be released and either go with a second Cox DVR or just a Roku for now.
Which Market (City) are you in?
I've done the math and the Cox Whole Home DVR w/ the "Plus Package" (MPEG4 Channels) is quite a bit more than the TiVo Premiere, and the Cox Trio IPG has been plagued with problems.

Cox also charges $5-$10/mo for the MPEG4 channels on their equipment but are free with a CableCARD. (Note Cox San Diego will be un-bundling the Plus Package channels from the Whole Home DVR effective Nov. 7th, but that is the only market I am aware of)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
pigbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Which Market (City) are you in?
I've done the math and the Cox Whole Home DVR w/ the "Plus Package" (MPEG4 Channels) is quite a bit more than the TiVo Premiere, and the Cox Trio IPG has been plagued with problems.

Cox also charges $5-$10/mo for the MPEG4 channels on their equipment but are free with a CableCARD. (Note Cox San Diego will be un-bundling the Plus Package channels from the Whole Home DVR effective Nov. 7th, but that is the only market I am aware of)
I am in Omaha. The whole home DVR is definitely more expensive. I was going to go with a second standalone which is cheaper over 42 months in comparison to buying a premiere.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

This is a new one. A customer calls Tivo customer service and gets exactly what was asked for in just a few short minutes and then calls it a strange experience and complains about it.

Last edited by scandia101 : 10-21-2012 at 01:25 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
This is a new one. A customer calls Tivo customer service and gets exactly what was asked for in just a few short minutes and then complains about it.
Yes, there was a post about somebody that wanted to cancel and TiVo put him through hell trying to keep him as a customer, and he complained. TiVo can't win.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigbat View Post
I would have settled with them asking to retain my business. At that point I would have asked for a deal. They could have said no and I may have opted to still buy a Premiere. The fact that they didn't even attempt to retain is a little shocking.

No big deal I guess. I already have one cable DVR and ill just get a second one for now. I am also a current Tivo stock owner so I'm just a little dismayed at their lack of training for the associates to retain. I suppose they are more focused on revenue from patent law than subscription revenue.
As a stock holder you should write a letter (stressing that you are a stockholder) to the board of directors making them aware of the situation.

Perhaps a registered letter where they have to sign for it to indicate that you're serious.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes, there was a post about somebody that wanted to cancel and TiVo put him through hell trying to keep him as a customer, and he complained. TiVo can't win.
Yes??? what are you boldly saying yes to? I didn't even ask a question.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Yes??? what are you boldly saying yes to? I didn't even ask a question.
The "yes" was an agreement with you, not expressed (by me) in the most elegant way.