TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Shaunnick

Fox News Suicide

So I am at work and we just watched something crazy.

There is a high speed chase in Arizona. The guy is driving a newer model SUV. The SUV looks like it ran out of gas so the guy bails. As he is running from the cops he gets behind a bush.

This is where it gets crazy. he starts messing with soemthing that we can't see (viewpoint is from an overhead helicopter cam. He then puts the object to his head and falls over.

Fox immediately cuts to a commercial break and it takes me and my coworkers about 5 seconds to realize what we had just seen. I t was a little freaky.

Afterwards Shepherd Smith comes back on air and apologizes that Fox did not hit its delay button and time and did not intend for us to see that.

I feel bad for having seen it now.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Smith's statement seems sincere.

"And we really messed up. And we're all very sorry. That didn't belong on TV. We took every precaution we knew how to take to keep that from being on TV. And I personally apologzie to you that that happened.

Sometimes we see a lot of things that we don't let get to you, because it's not time appropriate, it's insensitve, it's just wrong. And that was just wrong. And that won't happen again on my watch, and I'm sorry"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...crime&ir=Crime
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Gromit

Can't have CNN showing it 15 seconds before they do.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Ment

When those bank robbers in CA years back with assault rifles and body armour kits were on live TV going toe-to-toe with the cops didn't they show one of them getting a head shot?
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hmph. Kinda considerate of the guy to off himself and save everybody some money prosecuting him. Perhaps they need to stop cutting away from such stuff on live TV. It should set a good example for other such idiots in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
When those bank robbers in CA years back with assault rifles and body armour kits were on live TV going toe-to-toe with the cops didn't they show one of them getting a head shot?
Yeah I think they did.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Shaunnick

I am not going to post it, but my coworker just found it on youtube. Search 'Car Chase Suicide Aired On FOX News'
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

This thread is not exactly what I was expecting it to be about. But it's still an interesting story.

I agree this is all happened because they wanted to be the FIRST to show anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Saw it too. I mean it's a bad deal for sure, but it's not really graphic as in a mega close up of the ending.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

I was watching and saw it happen. Shocking, but no real blood or gore was shown. The car jacker was running around and appeared to be disoriented. He hid behind a bush raised the pistol to his head and then fell over.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Hmph. Kinda considerate of the guy to off himself and save everybody some money prosecuting him. Perhaps they need to stop cutting away from such stuff on live TV. It should set a good example for other such idiots in the future.
Although I will not watch it, I agree.

How can we get criminals to do this BEFORE they commit the crime?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Can't have CNN showing it 15 seconds before they do.
Oh for crying out...let's start the Fox News bashing right now...geez...like that's never happened on any other network.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Gromit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Oh for crying out...let's start the Fox News bashing right now...geez...like that's never happened on any other network.
If you want to start bashing Fox, go for it. But I wasn't. I was just explaining the need to show it without delay.

How in the world do you jump to Fox bashing? Defensive much?

But since you brought it up... Fox does suck.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That's not Fox bashing, it's news bashing.

They all have that mentality.

There's plenty of other reasons to bash Fox, but this one isn't particular to them.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
GoHalos

There was a similar incident on the local Los Angeles stations about 15 years ago, but it was probably worse, as the guy pulled out a shotgun and shot himself in the chin.

Spoilerized for the squeamish:
Spoiler:
He basically blasted off the top of his head, and the "spray" was quite visible to viewers.

There was a big uproar about it because it was in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday and the coverage had preempted kids cartoons.

Edit: Here's the incident:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki article
April 30, 1998 – Daniel V. Jones, a cancer and HIV-positive patient apparently frustrated with his HMO coverage, ended a live televised stand-off with police on a Los Angeles freeway by committing suicide, shooting himself in the chin with a shotgun. The event, which took place on a Thursday afternoon, was witnessed by many children whose after-school cartoons had been interrupted in order to broadcast the incident, which originally began as a high-speed pursuit, and led many to criticize Los Angeles television stations' practice of airing police pursuits live.
Wikipedia Link
GoHalos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

TV Station I work at came this close (picture my thumb and forefinger right next to each other) to showing a guy getting shot by the SWAT team on live TV outside our building last night.

Guy calls the station about an hour before our 10pm News starts saying he is outside the building with a bomb strapped to his chest and is going to set it off.
Guy manning the desk asks the guy to hold, then calls 911.
Guy has a backpack with wires coming out of it to something in his hand, and is sitting on the light rail stop in front of our building.

Police swarm in and try to talk the guy down for about 2 hours.
During this time, SWAT has mobilized and have set up sniper nests right in front of our windows looking out on main street, on top of our building, on top of the building across the street and down the street.
Guy ends up getting agitated, rushes the cops reaching into the backpack supposedly holding the bomb and one of the SWAT shoots him dead center mass.

We had just switched from live footage of the guy talking to the cops, to our anchors in the studio.
We had to resort to using our kitchen set for our 10pm News, police said we couldn't broadcast from our normal set which is just a window away from the bomb guy, Kitchen set is on the other side of the building.

We did see it happen in on our monitors though, kinda surreal.

Two bomb squad robots come in and gently pick up the backpack, then slowly work their way down the street a little ways.
Bomb squad armored truck comes and parks between the backpack and the guys body so paramedics can get to work trying to save the guy who's obviously been dead about a half hour, guess they have to keep appearances by pretending to try to save the guy.
During this time we are trying to show the bomb robots, then the paramedics, all without showing the body lying in a pool of blood.

Interesting evening.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control

Last edited by phox_mulder : 09-28-2012 at 06:53 PM.
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
TheMerk
Always Bid First

I'd been waiting to see you post about that Phox. Interesting indeed.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
I'd been waiting to see you post about that Phox. Interesting indeed.
I haven't watched any of our news yet today, so don't know if they even found a bomb in the guys bag.

I'll have to remember to watch the 10 tonight, or at least have it in the buffer so I can FF through everything else.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

What station in SLC, Phox? Feel free to answer privately, if you like.

(I lived in SLC for a year or so.)
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
I am not going to post it, but my coworker just found it on youtube. Search 'Car Chase Suicide Aired On FOX News'
That's SOOOO Fake!
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
snowjay
40mph couch potato

The video really isn't graphic. The JFK assassination is much more graphic and the networks have no problem playing that over and over and over again.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
mattack

There was also some local (??) politician who shot himself in the head on live TV long ago. I saw it (unfortunately), on videotape.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Budd Dwyer. Pretty famous video. Kinda sad situation.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Well, two things about it.

Shephard Smith made it a LOT worse by yelling a thousand times to get off it. Just shut up, cut away, and apologize later. If kids ARE watching, they're not going to get what just happened if you don't make a HUGE deal about it.

Two, I always recommend pulling up your pants before offing yourself on live TV.

(And I feel a little bad about that joke. But I couldn't help myself.)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
Shephard Smith made it a LOT worse by yelling a thousand times to get off it. Just shut up, cut away, and apologize later. If kids ARE watching, they're not going to get what just happened if you don't make a HUGE deal about it.
He wasn't trying to make a big deal about it. He was trying to get the attention of whomever the dumbass was running the "dump" button, and get them to do their job.

I think Shephard did everything right in this case (except working for Fox News, of course... can't help that one).
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #26
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
He wasn't trying to make a big deal about it. He was trying to get the attention of whomever the dumbass was running the "dump" button, and get them to do their job.

I think Shephard did everything right in this case (except working for Fox News, of course... can't help that one).
I disagree. He SERIOUSLY called attention to the whole thing. He needs to keep it together better than that.

But Shephard is, in my opinion, a tool, anyway. So there's that.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Where will the FCC stand on this? Isn't this in many ways much worse than the Janet Jackson incident?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
DavidJL

It could have been a lot worse, if someone had zoomed in, or the shot had resulted in more of a JFK type exit wound. It happened pretty quickly in that he was running, stumbling, kinda hiding and then all of a sudden he shoots.

I thought the concern, attempt to censor, and apology were all very respectable and sincere. I actually appreciate both the channel and anchor more for their handling of the coverage.

I've seen a lot of these kinda situations covered by local southern California news and it was almost refreshing to see someone genuinely upset with the situation and unfortunate result.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Where will the FCC stand on this? Isn't this in many ways much worse than the Janet Jackson incident?
I didn't see him pull out his penis, so no, the FCC won't care.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #30
Rocketslc

Location: SLC, Utah "Utah's dilemma: Too small to be a country; too big to be an insane asylum. "-Xavier_Onassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
I haven't watched any of our news yet today, so don't know if they even found a bomb in the guys bag.

I'll have to remember to watch the 10 tonight, or at least have it in the buffer so I can FF through everything else.

phox
Just curious. Was it the stations decision to not show coverage from the camera you had on the roof, or was it at police request ?