TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Xfinity Xbox360 OnDemand app with cable cards only

I currently have Comcast TV service with two TiVo Premieres that have cable cards. Due to silly charges by Comcast, I wound up turning in my one and only digital box (Scientific Atlanta 2200) in order to avoid the $10/month charge Comcast was imposing. It was an SD box and I wasn't using it much anyway.

The only advantage of having it was being able to access OnDemand content (in SD), but I didn't watch much of that anyway so I just turned it in.

Well, I'm thinking of possibly getting an Xbox360 in the near future. I see that Comcast allows you to use it to access their OnDemand content. Therefore, I thought I might do this and gain back access to OnDemand.

I am also aware that an XBox live gold subscription of some kind is needed. I have seen it offered for as low as about $4/month so it might be worth getting.

A few questions though. Will the OnDemand material through the Xbox360 be in HD? Also, I have been informed on another forum that at least one digital box is needed in order to use the Xfinity OnDemand app on an Xbox360. However, Comcast's own site states that a "Comcast set top box or Cable Card" is needed. I am subscribed to an eligible TV package too (Comcast "preferred") so can anybody verify if I can have just my 2 cable cards and still be able to use the Xbox360 to access OnDemand material?

Here is what the Comcast FAQ page stats about it:

http://xbox.comcast.net/faqs.html

(2nd question down)
Q: Do I need the Comcast set top box connected to the TV along with the Xbox 360?
A: No, the Xbox 360 running our XFINITY TV App essentially acts as an additional cable box for your existing cable service, but you must subscribe to XFINITY TV with On Demand, which means that you will have a Comcast set top box or Cable Card connected to at least one TV in your home.

Now, it is also debatable & questionable when they say "you must subscribe to XFINITY TV with On Demand". Technically, this isn't done with my cable cards. Or does that simply mean I have to be in an eligible TV package (which I am) even if I don't truly get it at home and/or currently have the needed hardware? Not sure.

Ultimately, I'd love to just see the Xfinity OnDemand feature come to my Premieres for my area (Atlanta) like they are SLOWLY coming out in other markets, but who knows when that will actually happen.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 10-04-2012 at 09:15 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
turbobozz

I can access Xfinity on Xbox 360 with only cable cards (no cable boxes).
It was a pain to get it working though... and it sometimes gets knocked out and I have to get it re-setup.
Overall I just don't find much interesting on it, so it's not worth the hassle to me.
I might actually try to use it if they actually stopped with all the hoop jumping and getting it to work well.
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobozz View Post
I can access Xfinity on Xbox 360 with only cable cards (no cable boxes).
It was a pain to get it working though... and it sometimes gets knocked out and I have to get it re-setup.
Good to know & thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobozz View Post
Overall I just don't find much interesting on it, so it's not worth the hassle to me.
I might actually try to use it if they actually stopped with all the hoop jumping and getting it to work well.
I agree & didn't use the OnDemand feature that much at all when I had it in the past, but am now looking at some TiVo alternatives. Using an Xbox360 as a "media extender" (essentially a cable box) with Ceton/SiliconDust products is one option I am investigating so I thought I would also look into possibly getting the OnDemand feature back too (as well as some other features) if I went this route. Good to know I would be able to have Xbox360 OnDemand access with just cable cards on my account. Thanks

Last edited by buscuitboy : 10-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
turbobozz

I should also mention that I was playing with xfinity on xbox360 when it was still in early public release... I think they had some issues still to iron out with no cable box households.
They may have those ironed out now...
BTW... I use ceton and Xbox 360 extenders... It's working fine for me right now.
I am interested to see what happens in the next year or so with TiVo and MSOs developing their whole home DVR portfolios.
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
ewjreplay

I have one tivo box in one room and xbox in the other. I access xfiniter ty via the xbox a lot. Please remember that this service i do not include every but does get most a couple of days after they aired. I forgot to setup recording Last Resort and watched it on the Xbox last night.

I do not have any cable boxes, run xbox with beta software, and just got a infinity software upgrade a few days ago. So far no issues.
ewjreplay is offline   Reply With Quote