TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
ALK3011

MoCa Rookie - Please Help

I have AT&T DSL. That is connected to my Apple Airport. Both in my home office. My TiVo Premiere XL is in my living room. I also have a series 3 HD in my master bedroom. I want to buy a stream. What I really want it for is to get shows from my TiVo to my iPad for traveling on planes (not streaming-although that is cool too.). Toast software takes forever.

So..... I have no idea what I am doing and what I need. I do not have Ethernet plugs in my house. And the TiVo Premiere and the Airport are in different rooms.

Can someone talk to me like I'm an idiot (I do not know what FIOS is), and tell me:
1. Can I set up a TiVo stream?
2. What do I need to buy?
3. How do I set it up?

I understand its easy, but in all the forums the talk is above my head. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!!!
ALK3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

MoCa uses the coax cable going to your TV, and the other end goes to the cable input from the wall, to the router. Its meant only for Cable TV with internet services (unless you got coax cable near your router and modem), a MoCa adapter would be needed, @ the router end, another at the Premiere end. Unlike Premiere (2 tuner model), the 4 and 4XL models (with 4 tuners) has MoCa built-in, so only 1 adapter is needed at the router end.

The stream is meant for only the Premiere which does stream video, Tivo HD does not. Its meant to be connected to the router just like connecting another PC to it. Wireless connections to Tivo boxes is not recommended.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
ALK3011

Sorry- still confused

So, coax from wall, into moCa adapter, to TiVo premier (2tuners)?
What do I do in the other room where my DSL and Apple Air port are? Does there need to be a wired connection between the rooms? And what do I need to do in that room with the DSL and Airport?

Sorry for truly being dumb about this.
Thanks in advance for the help
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALK3011 View Post
Yes. Run the Ethernet from the MoCA adapter to the Premiere also.

Quote:
What do I do in the other room where my DSL and Apple Air port are?
You use another MoCA adapter. It connects to an RF cable TV cable and it's Ethernet runs to your router. When your are done your network will go from the router to the MoCA adapter via Ethernet, from one MoCA adapter to the other over the cable and from the second adapter to the TiVo over Ethernet.

Quote:
Does there need to be a wired connection between the rooms? And what do I need to do in that room with the DSL and Airport?
The coaxial cable becomes the wired connection between the rooms. Basically your network gets sandwiched in as if it were just another TV channel but it runs in both directions. So what you do in that room is use the second MoCA adapter.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
What do I do in the other room where my DSL and Apple Air port are? Does there need to be a wired connection between the rooms? And what do I need to do in that room with the DSL and Airport?

Sorry for truly being dumb about this.
Thanks in advance for the help
Using MoCa instead of Ethernet assumes you have coax wire to all the devices on your network you want to use it with. As your Internet is DSL not cable and it doesn't sound like you have coax available at your router (apple air port), I am not sure I would bother with it.

The stream would be connect to your router by a Ethernet (cat 6 or 5e cable) and be in the same room as your router. I am assuming you currently use wireless with your Premiere?? If so which adapter are you using (wireless G or N)?

When you are going to use a Stream TiVo wants you to connect your Premiere to your network by wire instead of wireless, but some people are having success even if their Premieres are connected wirelessly - with the wireless N adapter. If it doesn't work for you, you would need to connect your Premiere to your router with Ethernet (again Cat 6 or 5e cable). You can buy long runs of cable from monoprice.com if there is away for you to run it from your Premiere to your Apple Air port.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
ALK3011

The room where the DSL is does not have Coax. So does that mean I cannot do this - unless I ditch the DSL and get a cable modem?

The wireless with my premiere is a G. There is no way to run a cable from my apple airport to my Premiere.

Any suggestions of what I need to do on the end where my DSL and router (airport) are? I do have a coax coming in from outside from RCN that connects to a digital tuner and then runs to a very very old TV. However, this in no way is connected to my network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Using MoCa instead of Ethernet assumes you have coax wire to all the devices on your network you want to use it with. As your Internet is DSL not cable and it doesn't sound like you have coax available at your router (apple air port), I am not sure I would bother with it.

The stream would be connect to your router by a Ethernet (cat 6 or 5e cable) and be in the same room as your router. I am assuming you currently use wireless with your Premiere?? If so which adapter are you using (wireless G or N)?

When you are going to use a Stream TiVo wants you to connect your Premiere to your network by wire instead of wireless, but some people are having success even if their Premieres are connected wirelessly - with the wireless N adapter. If it doesn't work for you, you would need to connect your Premiere to your router with Ethernet (again Cat 6 or 5e cable). You can buy long runs of cable from monoprice.com if there is away for you to run it from your Premiere to your Apple Air port.

Good Luck,

Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
poppagene
User

Quote:
The room where the DSL is does not have Coax. So does that mean I cannot do this - unless I ditch the DSL and get a cable modem?

The wireless with my premiere is a G. There is no way to run a cable from my apple airport to my Premiere.

Any suggestions of what I need to do on the end where my DSL and router (airport) are? I do have a coax coming in from outside from RCN that connects to a digital tuner and then runs to a very very old TV. However, this in no way is connected to my network.
If the coax to the digital tuner is cloase to your router, you could use it for moca by splitting the coax between a moca adapter going to the router and the tuner.

If you don't have coax at the router, the Moca won't work for your needs. Have you tried powerline networking? Something like http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2713549
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
ALK3011

that is a great idea. If I do that - I plug one into my airport and then one in near the Premiere. Then I plug the premiere into that and I do not need MoCa at all and I can get the stream?

Or if I split the coax in the room with the router and I use the MoCa adapter there, just like I would by the Premiere - do the two MoCa adapters talk to each other wirelessly? As they would not be connected to each other? (I know I must sound so dumb)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
If you switch to cable for your Internet it is unlikely they would run coax to your office for free more likely they would install the cable modem/router somewhere on the existing cable line - which might workout fine as long as it was close enough to your Premiere to hard wire between the 2.

Quote:
You could go to the Stream section of this forum and ask if anyone has their stream working using wireless G to their Premiere to see if it could possibly work. I know I saw people saying it worked with the wireless N adapter but I don't know about the wireless G.
Quote:
Any suggestions of what I need to do on the end where my DSL and router (airport) are?
The general concept is you need a hard wire from your Premiere to your router and from the Stream to your router.

Do you have a telephone connection near your Premiere? If so you could move your DSL modem and your Apple Air port there and then hard wire to your Premiere.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
poppagene
User

Quote:
that is a great idea. If I do that - I plug one into my airport and then one in near the Premiere. Then I plug the premiere into that and I do not need MoCa at all and I can get the stream?

Or if I split the coax in the room with the router and I use the MoCa adapter there, just like I would by the Premiere - do the two MoCa adapters talk to each other wirelessly? As they would not be connected to each other? (I know I must sound so dumb)
There is no wireless connection occuring with Moca. As long as the RCN coax going into the room by the router is connected (maybe outside of the house where your cable tv goes into the other rooms?) , that should be sufficient for a wired moca connection.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
ALK3011

If I purchase the other devices (the link above) do I need to move my DSL and Airport near the premiere or can I hard wire the premiere to that device and forget MoCa altogether.?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
ALK3011

If I split the coax signal in the home office and run one to the digital converter to the tv and the other to the moca adapter - How do i get it to the router, there is not place for a coax cable on my router?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
poppagene
User

Quote:
If I purchase the other devices (the link above) do I need to move my DSL and Airport near the premiere or can I hard wire the premiere to that device and forget MoCa altogether.?
If you go with the powerline, you plug one into an electrical outlet in the room with the router and run an ethernet cable from the powerline unit to the router. You plug the other one into an electrical outlet near the Tivo and run an ethernet cable from it to the tivo.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
ALK3011

That will do it, even though the TiVo is not directly connected to the router? The I can set up the TiVo stream? If that will work without the direct hardware to the router/airport, that seems much easier!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
If I split the coax signal in the home office and run one to the digital converter to the tv and the other to the moca adapter - How do i get it to the router, there is not place for a coax cable on my router?
For this configuration you would run an Ethernet cable from the MoCA adapter to your router.

The MoCA adapters don't talk to each other wireless-ly, they talk over the coax cable.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
poppagene
User

Quote:
The moca adapter has an ethernet jack that you connect to the router in addition to the coaxial port that you connect to your splitter.