TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
replaytv
home brewed chaos
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,421
America is Not the greatest country in the world?

Character in HBOs' TV show Newsroom says "America is only number one in the world in defense spending, number of citizens that believe in angels, and number of citizens incarcerated per capita".

HBO's NEWSROOM Opening scene "Why America's Not the Greatest C
You need to upgrade your Flash Player


Last edited by replaytv : 08-31-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: to add link
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!
 
Alfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Melmac
Posts: 28,987
You do realize this is just a TV show, right?
__________________
"Whiners are not winners"
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
replaytv
home brewed chaos
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
You do realize this is just a TV show, right?
How can you say 'just a TV show'? Viewing TV shows are what Americans spend most of the waking recreational time doing!! And they have an incredible effect on the culture and future events in USA.
But the question, is it true what the character says about the USA?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 87,604
It's not true.

The USA is the greatest country in the world.

We invented TiVo.

I rest my case.
__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
stahta01
Simple Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana (USA)
Posts: 3,286
Who beat us out for the numbers of believes in UFOs?

Tim S.

PS: Just joking
__________________
"It's much more much more cerebral than your standard zombie novel..." Say what? Aren't they all 'cerebral'? Forum Signature of Stephen M.
stahta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
plateau10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,327
Well, there's two parts to that.
1) Is the US number one in those areas?
2) Is the US not number one in any other way?

Sort of hard to quantify the angels one, but the other two appear to be correct. But I'm almost positive I could find at least one other measure where the US is number one, so I think the "only" part negates the whole statement.


BTW, we're 2nd on defense (behind Saudi Arabia) if you measure % of GDP.
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 32,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
But is it true?
Well those facts are true. But Greatest country in the world is a subjective statement anyway. I would think someone in Brazil might think that Brazil is the greatest country in the world. I'm sure you could pick out a fact to prove or disprove any statement like that.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
replaytv
home brewed chaos
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
It's not true.

The USA is the greatest country in the world.

We invented TiVo.

I rest my case.
amen to that, brother.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Alfer
WOOSAH!
 
Alfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Melmac
Posts: 28,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
How can you say 'just a TV show'? Viewing TV shows are what Americans spend most of the waking recreational time doing!! And they have an incredible effect on the culture and future events in USA.
But the question, is it true what the character says about the USA?
If this was a hugely popular show on regular TV (not pay channel tv) sure it may evoke a small amount of water cooler talk. But it's not and honestly you may be one of the very few even worrying about what this TV character is saying.
__________________
"Whiners are not winners"
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
replaytv
home brewed chaos
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by plateau10 View Post
But I'm almost positive I could find at least one other measure where the US is number one, so I think the "only" part negates the whole statement.

.
Almost positive? So what are the other things USA is number one?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Alfer
WOOSAH!
 
Alfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Melmac
Posts: 28,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Well those facts are true. But Greatest country in the world is a subjective statement anyway. I would think someone in Brazil might think that Brazil is the greatest country in the world. I'm sure you could pick out a fact to prove or disprove any statement like that.
+1
__________________
"Whiners are not winners"
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
plateau10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Almost positive? So what are the other things USA is number one?
Patents, for one. We appear to be behind Japan in applications and patents granted (for 2008), but still are #1 in patents in force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_by_patents


Charity is another
https://www.cafonline.org/pdf/World_...011_191211.pdf

And I'm sure post count on TCF goes without saying
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 87,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
amen to that, brother.
funny that a guy named "replaytv" is giving this the amen.

your side lost!!!







__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,110
Welcome to June, OP.

You're gonna love July and August.
__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet
 
TonyTheTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,751
Yeah, the USA is #1 in...

Junior obesity
Wasting stuff
Over indulgence
Gun crime
Getting involved in other peoples' wars
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.



OK, they're probaly NOT #1 in all these, but it's just a easy too make this list and any other that shows what you want it to show.
__________________
"YOU! YES YOU! STAND STILL, LADDIE"
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"
TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
brianric
Registered User
 
brianric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsville, NJ
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
We invented TiVo.
Now made in China.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
mcmikexx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 4
Character in HBOs' TV show Newsroom says "America is only number one in the world in defense spending, number of citizens that believe in angels, and number of citizens incarcerated per capita".


Name a country which has been more consequential than America.
mcmikexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 17,620
We've gotta be #1 in a bunch of gun categories. Gimme some fair and balanced!
__________________

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 6,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikexx View Post
Character in HBOs' TV show Newsroom says "America is only number one in the world in defense spending, number of citizens that believe in angels, and number of citizens incarcerated per capita".


Name a country which has been more consequential than America.
Welcome! Sorta. You joined eight years ago, and this is your first post!



Attached Images
File Type: png mcm.PNG (13.0 KB, 440 views)
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
Bars & Tone
Will Draw for Food
 
Bars & Tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikexx View Post
...Name a country which has been more consequential than America.
Consequential in what respect?
You mean like ancient Greece or Rome?
Or like 18th–19th century Britain?
Consequential like that?
__________________
Vote Quimby!

"Many times, I find the 8" is just too small.":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"No, I like it small":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bars & Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
cannonz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 796
I dropped HBO a long time ago because of Bill Maher's hate speech.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
mcmikexx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 4
I mean what country now is more consequential?
mcmikexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
mcmikexx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 4
Welcome! Sorta. You joined eight years ago, and this is your first post!


I just added this forum to my RSS reader.
mcmikexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt
 
jamesbobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikexx View Post
I mean what country now is more consequential?
Being the most consequential and being the greatest are two different things.
By the way, New York City is the greatest city in the world. But you don't live there. Therefore, wherever you live is, at best, second rate, right?
__________________
Many people suffer in this world, we should not complain about TV.
jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
mcmikexx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 4
Being the most consequential and being the greatest are two different things.
By the way, New York City is the greatest city in the world. But you don't live there. Therefore, wherever you live is, at best, second rate, right?

I was annoyed by the whole premise of that first scene in "The Newsroom". I wish another student had asked Will McAvoy (AKA Aaron Sorkin) to name a more consequential nation in the last 100 years.

It annoyed me because of the point you're making here. Greatest is subjective, FYI, I do live in the greatest city in the world IMHO. But it is not as consequential as New York.
mcmikexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #26
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
I dropped HBO a long time ago because of Bill Maher's hate speech.
Oh that's right. I forgot that when you subscribe to HBO, you have to watch ALL of their programs and you lose all other channels.

I really don't know how they get away with that.
__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #27
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt
 
jamesbobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
I dropped HBO a long time ago because of Bill Maher's hate speech.
I just realized why we're the greatest country in the world: we have Bill Maher!
Thanks for reminding me.
__________________
Many people suffer in this world, we should not complain about TV.
jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 32,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
I just realized why we're the greatest country in the world: we have Bill Maher!
Thanks for reminding me.
One of the things that makes us great is we have: Bill Maher, Rush Limbaugh, Thom Hartmann and Glenn Beck. The Newsroom and 24. Free speech.

But I tend to agree with this. EVERY great country at some point had their downfall. Greece and Rome, Britain, Egypt. Usually it was because people got rich and complacent and got into petty bickering and battles for power (sound familiar?) Another more hungry and energetic empire was ready to pounce in. Unfortunately, this is what we are facing. It's not to late to turn this around, but we have to stop the reasons why we are getting to that place.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #29
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles
 
MonsterJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central MA
Posts: 12,528

MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #30
rondotcom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
amen to that, brother.
I season pass that Amen
rondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |