TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
retrac

Reseting the clock on a "dumbed up" TiVo HD

I have searched desperately here and on google for the answer to no avail even thou I know I saw something on it years ago. My TiVo HD is unsubscribed and been used for 2 years to manualy record but the clock over time has strayed 36 minutes. I have delt with it but cannot anymore. I beleive clean and delete everything will reset the unit back to factory and I will have to do guided setup again while connected to my network. I'm just worried that doing this again might brick the manual recording capabillity I've enjoyed all these years. Are my fears unfounded?

retrac
retrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

No, they are not. I would think that the Tivo gets its subscription status during guided setup since it has to call in to the Tivo Servers for other info.

IIRC during a typical call home, the clock is set before the account status check.
You could put the Tivo on the network and initiate a manual call to the TiVo servers and monitor it.
Pull the ethernet right after you see 'setting clock'.

It's a long shot and it may not work. Plus you run the risk totally bricking the Tivo.
I claim no responsibility if you try this.

Now the question becomes "Is this stealing?".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrac View Post
I have searched desperately here and on google for the answer to no avail even thou I know I saw something on it years ago. My TiVo HD is unsubscribed and been used for 2 years to manualy record but the clock over time has strayed 36 minutes. I have delt with it but cannot anymore. I beleive clean and delete everything will reset the unit back to factory and I will have to do guided setup again while connected to my network. I'm just worried that doing this again might brick the manual recording capabillity I've enjoyed all these years. Are my fears unfounded?

retrac
Not sure how you managed to do manual recordings without a sub. As far as I know, only S1 boxes can do that. Did you disconnect the network while it still had a sub? Yes, any connection to Tivo will set the clock but will also update the sub status which should kill the manual record capability. Don't even need to get as far as the data download because those two items are done first.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
retrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
No, they are not. I would think that the Tivo gets its subscription status during guided setup since it has to call in to the Tivo Servers for other info.

IIRC during a typical call home, the clock is set before the account status check.
You could put the Tivo on the network and initiate a manual call to the TiVo servers and monitor it.
Pull the ethernet right after you see 'setting clock'.

It's a long shot and it may not work. Plus you run the risk totally bricking the Tivo.
I claim no responsibility if you try this.

Now the question becomes "Is this stealing?".
Thanks for the reply stsve614! I was under the impression when you did a clear and reset all it was put back to factory condition also reseting the 7 day trial. So I gather from what you stated this isn't the case?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
retrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Not sure how you managed to do manual recordings without a sub. As far as I know, only S1 boxes can do that. Did you disconnect the network while it still had a sub? Yes, any connection to Tivo will set the clock but will also update the sub status which should kill the manual record capability. Don't even need to get as far as the data download because those two items are done first.
Never had a sub just the 7 day trial and yes after guided setup I disconnected the network. Been using it almost 2 years with just the clock straying over time. When I originally did this I remember some saying their ability to manually record went away but showed up about 30 days later. I don't remember encountering this prob but could be wrong.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
lessd

I have a Series 2 with Lifetime and after 30 days or more of not being plug in when I do run up that TiVo it will not record, all gets fixed after i force a call home because of having Lifetime Service.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Thanks for the reply stsve614! I was under the impression when you did a clear and reset all it was put back to factory condition also reseting the 7 day trial. So I gather from what you stated this isn't the case?
No, all it does is erase your shows and related data, along with your settings and profile.
It then puts the Tivo back to a factory-like condition, making you have to run the guided setup when it reboots.

The 7 day trial is treated like an account status. When the Tivo calls in, the TiVo servers tell it what its account status is.
The TiVo servers remember individual TSNs and will know that yours already went through the free trial. Your account status for that Tivo is now officially 'never set up' and if you let the Tivo check for account status, that's what it will reflect.
Never set up tells the Tivo it has no account and it will be locked down, never to record again unless you actually subscribe it.

Now I figure this is in the grey area of the forum rules pertaining to discussing "theft of service" since your not really using the service as a whole, only the manual recording.
You are just taking advantage of a flaw in TiVo's system.

Having said that, if one were to subscribe a Tivo, I believe there is a 30 day money back guarantee on the service. <wink-nudge>

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Having said that, if one were to subscribe a Tivo, I believe there is a 30 day money back guarantee on the service. <wink-nudge>
There is no longer a 1 year commitment requirement on older Tivos, so subscribing for a month @ $12.95 may be worth the cost of resetting the clock. Of course if you can sub it and get your money back under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee that would be better, but if for some reason that were not possible, paying for one month most likely wouldn't break the bank.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
retrac

Quote:
No, all it does is erase your shows and related data, along with your settings and profile.
It then puts the Tivo back to a factory-like condition, making you have to run the guided setup when it reboots.

The 7 day trial is treated like an account status. When the Tivo calls in, the TiVo servers tell it what its account status is.
The TiVo servers remember individual TSNs and will know that yours already went through the free trial. Your account status for that Tivo is now officially 'never set up' and if you let the Tivo check for account status, that's what it will reflect.
Never set up tells the Tivo it has no account and it will be locked down, never to record again unless you actually subscribe it.

Now I figure this is in the grey area of the forum rules pertaining to discussing "theft of service" since your not really using the service as a whole, only the manual recording.
You are just taking advantage of a flaw in TiVo's system.

Thank you for the clearification of how the severs operate. I have had several Series 2 single tuners subscribed over the years and currently have a Series 3 with lifetime so I do support TiVo and their business plan. Without subscribers it's all over and nobody wins. I am currently considering my options but just might leave well enough alone.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
retrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
There is no longer a 1 year commitment requirement on older Tivos, so subscribing for a month @ $12.95 may be worth the cost of resetting the clock. Of course if you can sub it and get your money back under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee that would be better, but if for some reason that were not possible, paying for one month most likely wouldn't break the bank.
I agree paying $12.95 wouldn't be painfull and might be the way to go to set the clock. Between your and steve614suggestions this could be the answer. Of course now paranoia sets in and I become concerned TiVo has closed this "flaw" with a software update rendering manual recording useless. Thanks scandia101!

Last edited by retrac : 09-27-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Thank you for the clearification of how the severs operate. I have had several Series 2 single tuners subscribed over the years and currently have a Series 3 with lifetime so I do support TiVo and their business plan. Without subscribers it's all over and nobody wins. I am currently considering my options but just might leave well enough alone.
If you have an S3 with lifetime you can add that HD to the account for only $9.95 per month.

And at that point you can copy shows from one of them to the other and from both of them to computer via TiVo Desktop and then copy them from that computer to either TiVo.

Copying from TiVo to TiVo loses a lot of meta-data, but using the computer as a middleman preserves almost all of it, so archive on the computer and go TiVo to TiVo when you want to watch something that's one on of the Tivos in a room where the other TiVo is.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote