TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
tivogurl

Does resetting Cox TAs prevent black screen of death?

As many of you know, Cox tuning adapters have a distressing habit of periodically losing all channels, presenting the TiVo with a black screen. The TA does not notify the TiVo of this problem over its USB connection, causing a total loss of scheduled recordings in many cases. The approximately monthly period of this phenomenon strongly suggests a reauthorization problem, but I'm not sure what's actually happening. In any case, the only solution is to power-cycle the TA and wait the 20 minutes or so it takes to reauthorize itself. I was wondering if anybody had tried doing preemptive power-cycle resets to combat this problem, and whether that was successful.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

This happens to me every few months, not a huge issue, but I have resorted to rebooting the TA and the TiVo at least every few weeks. This seems to mostly eliminate the lose of all channels.

I also try very hard to never leave a tuner on a SDV channel overnight, as it seems to me that when one channel loses it's signal for an extended period, is eventually leads to a cascade effect of all but the foreground tuner losing signal.

There aren't many channels I watch that use SDV, but one is MSNBCHD, so I never leave that channel tuned overnight.

I am not sure why the TiVo takes 15 minutes to re-sync with the TA. My SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime only takes about 3 minutes to re-sync and it's good to go. Hopefully TiVo can speed up the process in a SW update soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
I was wondering if anybody had tried doing preemptive power-cycle resets to combat this problem, and whether that was successful.
I have read of many people power cycling their TAs with one of those plug-in lamp timers.

Set it so it turns power off to the TA in the middle of the night or some time you know you don't have any recordings scheduled.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I have read of many people power cycling their TAs with one of those plug-in lamp timers.

Set it so it turns power off to the TA in the middle of the night or some time you know you don't have any recordings scheduled.
If you do that won't you just end up with the "Tuning Adapter Connected" message on the screen and it will not record anything until you manually clear it.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
If you do that won't you just end up with the "Tuning Adapter Connected" message on the screen and it will not record anything until you manually clear it.
I could have sworn my TiVo has recorded shows while that screen was up.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
This happens to me every few months, not a huge issue, but I have resorted to rebooting the TA and the TiVo at least every few weeks. This seems to mostly eliminate the lose of all channels.
Cool. Thanks.
Quote:
I also try very hard to never leave a tuner on a SDV channel overnight, as it seems to me that when one channel loses it's signal for an extended period, is eventually leads to a cascade effect of all but the foreground tuner losing signal.
Didn't know that. I'm pretty sure the only thing I record on an SDV channel is That Metal Show on VH1, and that has been fairly random as to whether or not the TA is going to give me a good signal. It's been reliable the last few weeks, though.
Quote:
I am not sure why the TiVo takes 15 minutes to re-sync with the TA.
The huge delay is a TiVo problem? I always thought it was a problem with the headend.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
Don't know. I don't have a TA. Like I said, I had only read about the lamp timer as a possible solution from other people's posts on this forum.
I know others have recommended trying it.
I figured it was worth a shot.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote