TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
jtreid

Curiosity on Discovery

I searched so don't chastise...

So I'm watching Myth Busters tonight and see this show called Curiosity on Discovery. I go to get a SP and Tivo can't find it. Turns out each episode is titled differently and no SP is available when I find "Can You Live Forever". So is there a way to get a SP on this show?
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
innocentfreak

This is an issue I keep reporting to Tribune media. Up until about 2 weeks ago, it was correct. Then starting with the I, Cavemen episodes they started listing each episode as a special and sometimes as a series. they even list the episodes in their episode guide for Curiosity. Unfortunately sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get them to fix things over there. I should probably report it to TiVo also.

Looking on Zap2it, you may want to try Curiosity on the Science channel. It looks like they are reairing that episode on 10/24 which may not be in your guide yet. This one should be caught by the Curiosity season pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
Worf

Funny, Curiousity as a season pass works just fine here.

Then again, it's listed as "Curiosity" with each episode having a different episode title.

I guess it depends on the channel you pick...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
Series3Sub

Curiosity is an omnibus series showing independently produced one-time programs that are usually aired as their own one-time, stand-alone program. While this is a good idea and should be done more often, I believe that is where the confusion with this program occurs with Tribune and Discovery and our TiVo. I've seen the same problems with such shows before.

I have Dish Network and they also use Tribune, but the Dish equivalent of Season Pass has operated correctly and Curiosity is always the program title as the title key for "New Programs" timers.

Since both Dish and TiVo use Tribune, I don't know why the Season Pass in this case is unreliable with TiVo, but solid with Dish. Other such difference regarding guide data have occurred between Dish and TiVo. There must be more to the guide data process than we know, or perhaps the complexity of TiVo's Season Pass and Search with all sorts of categories and sub-categories is the culprit. Who knows?

Yes, contact Tribune and TiVo. The Season Pass should be working properly based upon the data.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I had a SP for Curiosity and the first eight episodes recorded with no problems. Then there was a season pass alert stating that I, Caveman and Egypt: What Lies Beneath were not labeled as being eps of Curiosity. the Egypt ep aired on 10/9 and that seems to have been the last episode. Two weeks ago I checked out http://curiosity.discovery.com/group/curiosity/about and yet to air episodes #9 and #10 were listed and nothing new has been added.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
innocentfreak

Yeah that was me. I have filed a report also with TiVo and would recommend others do the same with regards to the lineup issue.

This is especially true since the Science channel lists the next episode under Curiosity which is just a repeat airing of this week's episode.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
Series3Sub

I think the channel and Tribune should take special care when culling shows to air under an omnibus titled series to be certain everyone--on all services that use Tribune--can set an SP or other brand DVR equivalent and have it record reliably.

I fully expect the episodes aired under the omnibus Curiosity series to be re-aired as stand alone episodes with their own original show title, so if you miss a recording with a Curiosity SP, create a Wish List with necessary keys to catch it a few months or so later (or even later that week if you catch the error soon enough). And set that Wish List for ALL Channels as they may air on other channels owned or distributed by Discovery.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

WLs are set to record on all channels by default, and that's what I did to solve this stupid issue when my SP for DSC quit working. Missed three shows because of it, but I'm sure they'll show again.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreid View Post
I searched so don't chastise...

So I'm watching Myth Busters tonight and see this show called Curiosity on Discovery. I go to get a SP and Tivo can't find it. Turns out each episode is titled differently and no SP is available when I find "Can You Live Forever". So is there a way to get a SP on this show?

Duh, that's what happened. I swore I made a season pass for this show, but it never records, checking the sp manager It's for a single episode special.

Time to make a wish list, thanks for the info
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Manual recording might be better since each episode has a different name so a wishlist won't catch it. Also no idea if Science channel will be rerunning them all.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Don't they all have 'Curiosity' in the title? That's what I set the WL for.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
innocentfreak

No none of them do.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Wow, that's totally broken. So you have no way of knowing when the new eps come on other than checking DSC's website, I take it?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
innocentfreak

They pretty much always air at 8:00 PM EST Sundays on Discovery Channel. Only once with the I, Caveman episodes did they run one at 8 and the second one at 9.

There is one this weekend, and one the 30th.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
innocentfreak

I would suggest everyone file a lineup report on TiVo.com to see if we can get this fixed. It looks like it is correct on the Science Channel, but I am still showing this isn't working on the Discovery Channel.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
innocentfreak

Just a heads up the new season starts 10/7. The first episode is Plane Crash. Discovery doesn't list it as Curiosity, but Science channel does when it airs it on Monday the 8th.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
TZR916

My TiVo guide says that Mythbusters is on ALL day 10/7 on Discovery Channel. No signs of Curiosity or Plane Crash at all. However, the Discovery Channel website schedule does say it should be there on 10/7. It does show up on Science Channel 10/8.
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote