TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
aimeedmiked

Tivo Stream to Apple TV?

Does TiVo Stream work with Apple TV? Or can Air Play work with the iPad TiVo app?

Thanks!
aimeedmiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
global_dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeedmiked View Post
Does TiVo Stream work with Apple TV? Or can Air Play work with the iPad TiVo app?

Thanks!
I don't think it works with atv yet, and it currently isn't air play enabled.
global_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

No. TiVo is working on a device called the Mini that will work like a streaming only TiVo for other TVs.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
aimeedmiked

How about Apple TV and the Air Play Mirroring feature? Anyone had luck with that?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeedmiked View Post
How about Apple TV and the Air Play Mirroring feature? Anyone had luck with that?
Nope. For what it is worth HBO GO, Amazon Instant Video etc all also block airplay of video as of now. I suspect the fine hand of the content owners....
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think there is a way to work around it if your iOS device is jailbroken though.

Dan
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I think there is a way to work around it if your iOS device is jailbroken though.

Dan

Indeed there is. Install "UnrestrictPremium2" and then the TiVo app, as well as some of the aforementioned others, like Amazon Instant Video, HBOGO, MAXGO, and DirectTV, all work with AirPlay Mirroring. It's pretty sweet, the way things are SUPPOSED to be

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Just came across this thread - darn - I was hoping to mirror occasionally and it's BLOCKED! :-(

Should be able to transfer the shows to computer and then watch through iTunes possibly... but also requires converting from .tivo format to .m4v...

Also BTW - it appears that UnrestrictPremium2 won't work yet for iOS6.

EyeTV is a lot better DVR in this regard.

Last edited by igirl : 10-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.
igirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
aimeedmiked

Are there any TiVo folks out there? Why isn't Air Play Mirroring supported? And can it be? I've heard that SlingPlayer has the ability some Airplay support....TiVo stream is very similar can the TiVo app be updated to support Airplay?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I suspect it was a CableLabs requirement to block AirPlay (just like not allowing the app to stream on a jailbroken device.) I doubt the app would be updated to support it, seeing as how AirPlay support (at least fullscreen mirroring) is enabled by default to developers and they have to go out of their way to disable it. Maybe if policies change...?

The SlingBox isn't a CableCard device... less organizations to cooperate with, less rules to follow.

TiVo also will want you to buy their upcoming "TiVo Mini" set top box instead.

In the meantime, if you can jailbreak your iPad, and install xCon (to bypass the JB detection) and UnrestrictPremium, you will be able to fullscreen AirPlay. I've tried it and it works.

Alas, iOS 6 isn't jailbreakable yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
rallykeeper

Airplay and CableLabs and Broadcast Content

Does anyone think a middle ground might be available with the TiVo Stream app allowing Airplay streaming of unprotected content such as OTA broadcast TV recordings? Or, better yet, unprotected cable-delivered network TV recordings?

Does CableLabs really have authority over non-HDCP protected content like broadcast television? Or, is it just easier to block Airplay for all content and perhaps even impossible to selectively block Airplay?
rallykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's probably not impossible to block selectively, but I doubt they'll do it. The Stream is meant to playing content on a portable device. If you need to stream to another TV that's what the Mini is for.

Dan
Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
aimeedmiked

I would suggest people that want Air Play enabled for the Tivo App for Apple fill out a Tivo Survey...maybe if enough people complain TiVo will do something about this issue. (I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask)

http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx
Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
gthassell

Quote:
It's probably not impossible to block selectively, but I doubt they'll do it. The Stream is meant to playing content on a portable device. If you need to stream to another TV that's what the Mini is for.

Dan
Dan, I agree that is the main purpose of the Stream, but I would really like to be able to do this as I travel every week, and consume about half of my TiVo content on the road. Before the stream, I would take an extra hard drive or then load to ipad via itunes (slow and painful) and an appleTV to send videos via AirPlay. Since I have the stream and the ipad, I no longer take the time to transcode and copy via kmttg (cause TiVo desktop doesn't support hd size properly on the ipad)

It would be great to be able to have a quick and easy solution in the stream and ipad app.
lifetimed S1s, S2, and S3 OLED, Premier 4 tuner (2TB)

Last edited by gthassell : 10-31-2012 at 12:43 AM.
gthassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

VERY disappointed that one cannot use AirPlay with it.

It makes no sense - if you can copy the show to your device - or download it to a computer, convert it and burn it onto a DVD - or put it on network hard drive for media player access - then why can't you mirror content (or live TV) using AirPlay?????

I was really hoping I could use TiVo Stream and buy another Apple TV to be able to use AirPlay and the Stream App as a TiVo player on an extra TV in our house. All you would be doing in essence is making the screen bigger - what's the harm?

Maybe TiVo Mini is the reason? They want to sell more hardware? Problem is - it doesn't exist even though it seems it might some day...
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2395
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post

It's difficult to be empathetic to Apple devotees with complaints like this when Android still isn't even supported by Tivo Stream.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post

It makes no sense - if you can copy the show to your device - or download it to a computer, convert it and burn it onto a DVD - or put it on network hard drive for media player access - then why can't you mirror content (or live TV) using AirPlay?????

I was really hoping I could use TiVo Stream and buy another Apple TV to be able to use AirPlay and the Stream App as a TiVo player on an extra TV in our house. All you would be doing in essence is making the screen bigger - what's the harm?

Maybe TiVo Mini is the reason? They want to sell more hardware? Problem is - it doesn't exist even though it seems it might some day...
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2395
If you want TiVo on another TV then why not buy another TiVo? It would be cheaper to do what you describe but it wouldn't be anything like as user friendly or functional.

I like that the Stream is focused on allowing TV viewing on a mobile device and does the job so well. Trying to push the limits of what is possible is the root cause of a lot of the complaints on this forum where people get upset that they can't do things that are beyond the scope of the product in the first place.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's just annoying when something is technically possible (airplay from an ios app) but that stupid business concerns actively restrict it.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
dugbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
If you want TiVo on another TV then why not buy another TiVo? It would be cheaper to do what you describe but it wouldn't be anything like as user friendly or functional.

I like that the Stream is focused on allowing TV viewing on a mobile device and does the job so well. Trying to push the limits of what is possible is the root cause of a lot of the complaints on this forum where people get upset that they can't do things that are beyond the scope of the product in the first place.
Ah no subscription fees perhaps?

Folks with the stream: Does the stream app allow for the iPhone hdmi viseo out cable?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

Nope. No bideo out, no air play. At least not unless your iPhone is jail broken. Then there are work arounds for all of those limitations.

Dan
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
dsnotgood

Quote:
Nope. No bideo out, no air play. At least not unless your iPhone is jail broken. Then there are work arounds for all of those limitations.

Dan
So is there a way to stream using hdmi out if its jailbroken?
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
spider122

I don't have a tivo yet, but will get one if I can do what I'm hoping to do.

I want to get a Tivo and Tivo stream so I can copy the shows off the dvr to an iPad. Then I want to bring the iPad to my vacation place which does not have internet and somehow watch the shows on my tv.

It sounds like the last part is the challenge as it does not have air play. Are there any other methods of getting an iPad to get the shows to a tv? Could DLNA be used? Can the files sent to the ipad/ipod be read by other applications or only Tivo's application?

Thanks.
spider122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Ah no subscription fees perhaps?

Folks with the stream: Does the stream app allow for the iPhone hdmi viseo out cable?
I don't pay subscription fees for either of my TiVos. I forgot that most people pay monthly but the cost of the TiVo hardware + lifetime service is what I meant by the option of buying a TiVo being more expensive.

Cost of hardware + lifetime is what I always think of as being the actual cost of a TiVo.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
So is there a way to stream using hdmi out if its jailbroken?
I believe so. I don't have any jailbroken devices myself, but I believe windracer and fofer have both applied hacks to their jailbroken devices that allow HDMI to function.

Dan
Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
button1066

Another thing I just remembered while reading this thread is that I sometimes copy files onto my laptop using TiVo desktop and play them on another TV via HDMI. It was another reason why the TiVo mini isn't really of interest to me personally because the TV I do it on already has the cable company set top box that is compulsory for my cable service attached to it that can be used for live TV.

Doing it via laptop instead of jailbroken iPad/iPhone and Stream seems preferable to me not least because you get zero quality loss and if you've got a laptop already then you don't need a Stream.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you do that a lot a Mini might be something to consider. By using a Mini instead of the cable company's box you'd likely eliminate the box fee, as well as any outlet fee, plus you'd have full pause/rewind capabilities when watching live TV and full access to everything recorded on the host TiVo. Plus it uses the same familiar remote and it wouldn't need to wait for the download to finish. You can stream a recording while the program is still being recorded and it plays instantly with full FF capabilities.

Dan
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
button1066

To be honest I'll probably buy the Mini anyway but the cable box isn't costing me anything. I checked and even if I return it, it wouldn't reduce my bill.

I own a Stream and I love it. The Stream is as much of a 'killer app' to me as the Series 2 TiVo I had years ago. I just meant that for watching on a TV the laptop still rules because it has HDMI without any jailbreaking and has perfect quality (no extra compression).
Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #28
DrTivol

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider122 View Post
I don't have a tivo yet, but will get one if I can do what I'm hoping to do.

I want to get a Tivo and Tivo stream so I can copy the shows off the dvr to an iPad. Then I want to bring the iPad to my vacation place which does not have internet and somehow watch the shows on my tv.

It sounds like the last part is the challenge as it does not have air play. Are there any other methods of getting an iPad to get the shows to a tv? Could DLNA be used? Can the files sent to the ipad/ipod be read by other applications or only Tivo's application?

Thanks.
Get kmttg and the vlcstreamer app for the iPad. It lets you transcode yor video and download or stream them to your iPad. It supports airplay.
DrTivol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #29
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
Tivo playback through another Tivo? No thanks. One paid box is enough and I don't think one can network an unsubscribed box to play the content of another paid box.

Unless you are saying Tivo Stream can playback through any extra Tivo box as well as the App? I don't understand.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #30
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTivol View Post
Get kmttg and the vlcstreamer app for the iPad. It lets you transcode yor video and download or stream them to your iPad. It supports airplay.
But unless I'm mistaken - none of these allow you to stream the content directly from the Tivo to somewhere else.

There's also iTivo, and Tivo Transfer for getting copies of content off of Tivo and onto computer. Then just forget all the other stuff and drop them into iTunes. They'll stream to iOS devices and boxes with iTunes on them - and also Apple TV (which is how we do it these days)....