TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Parenthood 9/18/12 Left Field

Anyone else watching? I absolutely love this show!

Julia and Joel were really annoying me with how they were walking on eggshells around their son but they finally pulled it together. The last scene was great, where Julia thought she'd screwed up again, but no, she finally got it right.

I about died when Amber started singing funkytown.

I continue to be frustrated with how much they put up with from max, but I have no experience dealing with an autistic kid. I'd love to know whether they're doing it right.
Not looking forward to the breast cancer plot line.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Still watching! It's one of the few shows that the wife and I enjoy together.

I've said it in the past: I can't even imagine being Max's father. I get very stressed just watching the show when he goes on one of his rants. (Disclaimer: this is a statement about me as a poor father, not about the Max character or other autistic children)

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Anyone else watching? I absolutely love this show!

Julia and Joel were really annoying me with how they were walking on eggshells around their son but they finally pulled it together. The last scene was great, where Julia thought she'd screwed up again, but no, she finally got it right.
I LOVED when Julia got out of the car in the drop-off line at school and gave the woman behind her (the one who honked) the "look" and the "give me a minute" finger...like the mama bear protecting her cub came out. Great acting!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

I really can't stand what they're doing with Adam and Kristina's story line. The baby, Haddie leaving, and now Kristina's breast cancer. It feels like that stretch of ER when all the horrible things were happening to Greene at once.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I LOVED when Julia got out of the car in the drop-off line at school and gave the woman behind her (the one who honked) the "look" and the "give me a minute" finger..
I was thinking "that isn't the finger I would have used..."

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
nirisahn

I love this show. But I agree with Neenahboy about the storylines for Adam & Kristina. Couldn't they have spread the misery around a little? They have the autistic child, Adam gets fired from a long held job, Kristina has breast cancer, and they have a baby just when they're getting ready to send their oldest off to college. I don't know what I'm forgetting. It's too much all one one set of characters and unnecessary when they have such a large and competent cast.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Sadara
huh?

Being the parent of an autistic son, the Max story line bothers me a lot. I am not going to let my son get away with bad behavior just because he's autistic. He still has to learn what's acceptable behavior and was is NOT. Autistic just means it take a LOT longer for my son to comprehend what is acceptable and not acceptable. But, we still work on it every time there's a moment. Oh and when my son does pull a full on melt down, usually he's getting dragged out of whatever public place he's decided to throw down. I've carried him out of school over my shoulder, out of Target over my shoulder and my husband's carried him out of a few other places over his shoulder too. Yes, I've left almost full grocery carts sitting in the middle of an aisle. We simply get in the car, go home and he always gets something taken away, like the Wii, TV or some other thing that's meaningful to him at the time. The older he gets, the quicker he gets himself under control because he knows his melt downs are not acceptable and he will lose something over it.

I'm so not looking forward to the breast cancer story line, that's going to be very hard to watch!!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
MrCouchPotato

I like Ray Romano but wasn't sure how he would fit in with the other cast of characters. At first he came off as creepy, while this episode it was a little more of an endearing creepy character. Really curious how this unfolds.

Thought Christina and Julia scenes near the end were well done .

The $1200 dog would not have been a consideration for us. We got a great mix puppy from the shelter for $68, fixed and with shots.

♪♫ Won't you take me to... ♫ Funky Town ♫♪
Have to see about adding that to Mrs Couch Potato's calendar....
MrCouchPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Thanks, sadara. That's what I thought, but didn't know for certain.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Still loving the show. It's one of only a few that my wife and I both like, so we pretty much treasure it.

I just get stressed out during most of the scenes with Adam/Christina now, mainly because with the baby crying and Max pretty much always shouting it's just so.... loud. However, I am very thankful for Funky Town. That's going to get a lot of usage in my household.

Not thrilled about the breast cancer storyline though. Haven't they gone through enough?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I like the Adam/Christina/kids scenes...it makes my own set of three look perfectly chill.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Satchel

I have to think they all sit around the table read each week and just all start talking.

Nothing bugs me more about this show than extended scenes where there are 4 conversations going on at the same time.

but then again, that exact thing happens in my wife's family when they all get in the same room.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

We still like this show as well. I also don't like the Adam/Christina story line, and Christina has always been my least favorite character on the show. There's something about her I don't like.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
and Christina has always been my least favorite character on the show. There's something about her I don't like.
I think the writers must have sensed this. That is why she now has breast cancer.

to Ray Romano's character giving Sarah's son the inside scoop to dating in high school. That situation hit close to home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #15
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I actually like Christina - well, at least I sympathize with her quite a bit. She has *a lot* on her plate. But with Max yelling, the baby crying, and Haddie screaming (at least that is minimized for now), it's just too loud in most of her scenes.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I have a lot of sympathy for the braverman spouses!