TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Season Pass Alerts
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
CBS Sunday Line Up Delay Issues

Started this thread as to not load up the URGENT NOTICE thread with discussion items...

The Amazing Race has been airing in this slot for a long time now, so hopefully most people who watch are very familiar with the issues involved with CBS football coverage.

Even in the Central and Eastern time zone, there are going to be MANY markets that aren't affected by this either. I happen to live in a market where the Vikings are generally aired in the noon time slot (whether it be CBS or FOX), so the CBS double-header game is generally the 3:00 game, so this affects me most weeks.

A couple things I have noticed this year that I don't think I did before:

The Sunday promos for the shows airing after football, once it is determined how much of a delay there was, tend to have notices at the bottom of the screen as to when those shows will actually air in that market.

I also saw a commercial the other day that caught my eye that was actually a dedicated promo to the fact that CBS airs The Amazing Race, The Good Wife and CSI:Miami on Sunday nights, and they are aware that many times they are delayed. It then went on to suggest that people who record them pad my an hour (I think it was).

Now, if they could just decide to get rid of 60 Minutes!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
sieglinde

Hey, that is about the only show I watch on CBS, certainly the only one on Sunday night.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Hercules67
TiVo addict

I pad 60 minutes by an hour!
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
sieglinde

Lol!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
I pad 60 minutes by an hour!
Should be renamed "120 minutes"...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Should be renamed "120 minutes"...
Precisely!

Took my 2 days to see it.....

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

Probably easier to set a recording time and channel for CBS from the time the show you want is supposed to start until say 30 or 40 minutes after prime time. 11:40 PM or so on the east coast. I just gave up watching CSI Miami. It was easier and freed up more time on my TiVo. Otherwise I was forced to watch CSI Miami first to delete a two hour recording for a one hour show.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud8man View Post
Probably easier to set a recording time and channel for CBS from the time the show you want is supposed to start until say 30 or 40 minutes after prime time. 11:40 PM or so on the east coast. I just gave up watching CSI Miami. It was easier and freed up more time on my TiVo. Otherwise I was forced to watch CSI Miami first to delete a two hour recording for a one hour show.
Um, but if you do a block record you have to watch everything in the block before you can delete it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

There is a change for 2012 - the "late games" in an NFL Doubleheader now start at 4:25 Eastern instead of 4:15. CBS has not made any announcement that it will be modifying its schedule (say, by padding its football coverage until 8:00 like Fox does, then pre-empting The Mentalist and showing everything else an hour late), so expect another year of having to guess when the Sunday shows begin in the Eastern and Central time zones.

This affects the following Sundays on CBS:
September 16, 23
October 7, 21
November 4, 18
December 2, 16, 30

Note that this also increases the chance of Fox's Sunday schedule starting a few minutes late on Fox's doubleheader days (the Sundays that are not CBS doubleheader days, plus December 30). For those of us in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, remember that on Fox doubleheader days, The Cleveland Show (and whatever repeat Fox would air right before it) is pre-empted.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
ronsch

And as Don mentioned, it's now The Mentalist in that 10:00 time slot so it becomes a little more important. I suspect I will simply pad The Mentalist by an hour.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
km

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

This affects the following Sundays on CBS:
September 16, 23
October 7, 21
November 4, 18
December 2, 16, 30
What about the other Sundays? Is "60 Minutes" at 7PM safe on the other Sundays?
km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
lpwcomp

It's best just to pad everything you are recording on Sunday night on CBS and FOX in order to ensure you get it all even if it is delayed by up to an hour. I wouldn't even bother just worrying about it on double-header Sundays as other sporting events (golf, tennis) can result in delays as well as the local team playing in the late game.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by km View Post
What about the other Sundays? Is "60 Minutes" at 7PM safe on the other Sundays?
It depends -- even in non-doubleheader weeks, some local markets will get a late game on CBS (the difference is that they get only a late game). In fact, Atlanta has a better chance of that than some other markets, since your local team is NFC.

You won't necessarily know during the season until a few days in advance, when the schedules come out that show which affiliates are carrying which games.

The good news is that you're safe this Sunday -- the CBS affiliate in Atlanta is carrying their single game at 1:00.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
It depends -- even in non-doubleheader weeks, some local markets will get a late game on CBS (the difference is that they get only a late game). In fact, Atlanta has a better chance of that than some other markets, since your local team is NFC.
CBS is AFC.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
mattack

BTW, 60 minutes is available as an audio podcast, so you can at least hear it there if you miss it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:

You won't necessarily know during the season until a few days in advance, when the schedules come out that show which affiliates are carrying which games.

The good news is that you're safe this Sunday -- the CBS affiliate in Atlanta is carrying their single game at 1:00.
Actually, this Sunday, CBS is airing the U.S. Open men's singles final (at least that was the plan before the tornado in the area); unless it's a relatively short match, expect 60 Minutes to be delayed.

As for the rest of the season, on five of the Fox doubleheader days (9/30, 10/28, 11/11, 11/25, and 12/9), the Falcons have a 1:00 game on Fox; presumably, Atlanta's CBS station will not want to air its one game at the same time, as it knows most people would choose to watch the Falcons game, so it is likely it will air a 4:05 game on those days (note that a "late" game starts at 4:05 instead of 4:25 if it is not part of a doubleheader). However, there is another problem; since the CBS "national feed" starts at 7:00 on those days, Atlanta will probably get 60 Minutes "already in progress."

I know that some cities with this problem start airing the 7 PM show on one of the network station's subchannels; you might want to keep an eye out for that.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
As for the rest of the season, on five of the Fox doubleheader days (9/30, 10/28, 11/11, 11/25, and 12/9), the Falcons have a 1:00 game on Fox; presumably, Atlanta's CBS station will not want to air its one game at the same time, as it knows most people would choose to watch the Falcons game, so it is likely it will air a 4:05 game on those days (note that a "late" game starts at 4:05 instead of 4:25 if it is not part of a doubleheader). However, there is another problem; since the CBS "national feed" starts at 7:00 on those days, Atlanta will probably get 60 Minutes "already in progress."
You are ignoring the fact that this situation entails for every NFC city in the east or central time zones whose team is playing the 1:00 game on those days, including Atlanta's opponent on every one of them.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman
CBS is AFC.
Heh, I thought about explaining exactly why I said what I said in my original message, but decided to leave it out for clarity.

Because the Falcons are the NFC, all but two of their games will air on Fox (those being two home games against visiting AFC opponents, which will air on CBS). That means there's more of a chance of the local CBS affiliate choosing to -- or having to due to NFL rules -- not air a game at the same time as the Falcons are on Fox. Thus, Atlanta has more of a chance of having a late game on CBS during a Fox doubleheader week than, for example, Jacksonville.

Last edited by trainman : 09-08-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Unnecessarily antagonistic
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
Heh, I thought about explaining exactly why I said what I said in my original message, but decided to leave it out for clarity.

Because the Falcons are the NFC, all but two of their games will air on Fox (those being two home games against visiting AFC opponents, which will air on CBS). That means there's more of a chance of the local CBS affiliate choosing to -- or having to due to NFL rules -- not air a game at the same time as the Falcons are on Fox. Thus, Atlanta has more of a chance of having a late game on CBS during a Fox doubleheader week than, for example, Jacksonville.
Ah, all is clear now. Yes, during non CBS double-header Sundays, CBS is more likely to air a game that does not conflict with the home team game. I don't think they are any NFL requirements that they do so however.

It will also depend on whether or not they have something else scheduled in the late game slot. For instance, tomorrow is a FOX double-header day and the Falcons are playing the 1:00 game, @KC. Since CBS has U.S. Open coverage starting at 4:00, they are also showing a 1:00 game here. Otherwise, they wouldn't be showing a game at all in either Atlanta or KC, especially since there aren't any 4:00 games with an AFC visiting team tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure that if a late game being shown in any eastern or central time market goes beyond the allocated time slot, they will slip the entire schedule and give everybody "bonus" coverage. No "joining 60 minutes already in progress"

Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #20
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
...it's now The Mentalist in that 10:00 time slot so it becomes a little more important...
Important to whom?

Geez people...if you watch ANYTHING on CBS on Sunday evenings...pad...pad...pad....that's all you have to do. Not rocket science.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
You are ignoring the fact that this situation entails for every NFC city in the east or central time zones whose team is playing the 1:00 game on those days, including Atlanta's opponent on every one of them.
I limited it to Atlanta because I was under the impression that km is in Atlanta. Of course it applies to every NFL city, as well as the cities in those team's extended markets.

Also remember that, in NFL team cities, if the local team is playing a home game on Fox at 1:00, then CBS has no choice but to air a 4:05 game that day, even if the home game on Fox is blacked out.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #22
lpwcomp

Quote:
Also remember that, in NFL team cities, if the local team is playing a home game on Fox at 1:00, then CBS has no choice but to air a 4:05 game that day, even if the home game on Fox is blacked out.
So you're saying that places like KC and NO got no CBS game at all yesterday?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
So you're saying that places like KC and NO got no CBS game at all yesterday?
Oooh, you got me on that one - good catch.

Week 1 is an exception because every CBS station has to show a 1 PM game (because of CBS's U.S. Open tennis coverage in what would be the 4:05 PM NFL time slot). It may also apply on October 21, as there are no 4:05 games scheduled on Fox that day for some reason (Fox is carrying a baseball postseason game that night "if necessary", but those usually don't start until around 8 Eastern).

There is another exception; if there is only one 4:05 game scheduled and it is blacked out, that network's station in the home team's city airs a 1:00 game and the other network airs only a 4:25 game; the "every CBS and Fox station gets to show at least one Sunday afternoon game" rule has priority. This can happen in Kansas City on 10/28 and Seattle on 11/11.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #24
Hippster
<something here>

According to TVNewser: CBS will now be adjusting their Sunday night schedules 30 minutes later on days they have a 4:00 football game. This will provide SOME relief from football padding madness but not eliminate it entirely.
Hippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #25
MountainMan41
Skyrim Mage

Wink Catch a glimpse of the 60 Minutes watch before any commercial

I am usually home Sunday evenings so I go to live TV for a few minutes some time about a half hour after 60 Minutes was supposed to start. At the beginning of each commercial they first go to a watch that shows the elapsed time of the program. If the watch (even showing the second hand...tick, tick, tick) shows 16 minutes after and the real time is 40 minutes after then I know that 60 Minutes is running 24 minutes late.

Since we watch all three shows that follow 60 Minutes on CBS I only need to pad The Mentalist by an hour and I am safe. The other two shows will be recorded but likely under the programming for the show following it. If I know The Amazing Race is 24 minutes late I can quickly find the beginning. Then I have to watch the end of that show on the beginning of the recording of The Good Wife. If we don't watch more than an hour of Sunday CBS at one sitting I just exit the program and it will resume right where the next show starts. Whew... such hard work. It never was that hard to watch The Wonderful World of Disney when I was a kid. All you needed to do was sit in front of the TV at the appropriate hour and have your sister walk over to the TV and turn it on.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Important to whom?

Geez people...if you watch ANYTHING on CBS on Sunday evenings...pad...pad...pad....that's all you have to do. Not rocket science.
Padding is not an adequate solution when it means you have to give up a show that airs on another channel in the time slot after the one you are padding.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippster View Post
According to TVNewser: CBS will now be adjusting their Sunday night schedules 30 minutes later on days they have a 4:00 football game. This will provide SOME relief from football padding madness but not eliminate it entirely.
Seems like that will just screw things up more. I have 2 tuners. If TAR started on time at 8:00, then at 9:00 I could record something on ABC (Revenge) and something on NBC (The Apprentice). If TAR runs from 8:30-9:30 I have to give up one of the 9:00 shows.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #28
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Seems like that will just screw things up more. I have 2 tuners. If TAR started on time at 8:00, then at 9:00 I could record something on ABC (Revenge) and something on NBC (The Apprentice). If TAR runs from 8:30-9:30 I have to give up one of the 9:00 shows.
First of all, keep in mind that this only applies (a) in the Eastern and Central time zones, and (b) on CBS's nine NFL doubleheader Sundays. The rest of the time/country, the schedule is still the same as before - 60 Minutes at 7 (Eastern/Pacific), TAR at 8, and so on.

Second, since NFL coverage wasn't going to end at 7 anyway, it doesn't really matter what time they schedule the programs; 60 Minutes will start a few minutes after the last CBS game ends, whether they say it's "supposed to" start at 7:00, 7:30, or 7:41 and 36.2 seconds.

I think the big question will be, what happens if coverage runs until/past 8:00 Eastern, which is more likely now? When the U.S. Open men's singles final ran an hour long, CBS did pull an hour show from its schedule that night, although it was "only" a Hawaii Five-O repeat; I don't know if it would do the same thing with a new episode of something.

I heard one theory that the "real" reason for the move was to prevent CBS stations that only got a 1:00 game on a CBS doubleheader day (because it's a station in an NFL team's city and that team has a Sunday home game that is either blacked out or is a 4:05 game on Fox) from showing the end of the NFL coverage before 7:30, but this doesn't make much sense as (a) this would affect at most two stations per week, and (b) the NFL doesn't really mind showing the ends of games in places where they're not supposed to air (I live in the San Francisco area, and occasionally CBS coverage will switch to the end of a blacked-out Raiders game when the game that was being aired in SF ends).
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
And as Don mentioned, it's now The Mentalist in that 10:00 time slot so it becomes a little more important. I suspect I will simply pad The Mentalist by an hour.
The Mentalist is scheduled to air at 10:30. CBS won't start the show after 11p, the ratings won't count. 30 minutes of padding should be enough. The only problem would be if football runs very late. CBS decides to skip a different show and air Mentalist earlier the 10:30.

I'm just going to record Good Wife and Mentalist as a block.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #30
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I'm just going to record Good Wife and Mentalist as a block.
What's the upside to that?

It seems to me that you're better off recording in discrete units, that way you can delete them once you're done with them (or determine that they're not needed).
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote