TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
aremer

need ethernet bridge between TiVo and tv set

I have somewhat of a quirky requirement. I need to bridge my TiVo to my entertainment centre via Ethernet (RJ45).

Everything I've found so far online requires I use a Moca type device.
Unfortunately Moca is designed to carry ip over coax. What I need to do is carry coax over ip!! We do not have nor can we use coax, only CAT5.

Description:

TiVo coax output via F connector >>> Black box with F female connector input, RG-45 Ethernet connector output >>> RG-45 Ethernet connector input >>> Wireless Bridge TX >>> Wireless Bridge RX >>> RG-45 Ethernet connector output >>> Black box with RG-45 Ethernet connector input, F female connector output >>> TV set.

We need the black box only.

Any idea of a solution?
aremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
mattack

Do you mean *networking* or do you mean you're trying to get your *video* over Ethernet cables?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
aremer

No, not transmitting video over Ethernet cable.
That can be done with baluns.
I mean the reverse of what is known as a coax bridge.
There are lots of products (moca etc) that allow you to send Ethernet over coax. In our scenario we have a wireless bridge between 2 buildings. TiVo in one and tv in the other. We can connect to the bridge via Ethernet only (ip based bridge, no routing).
We need a black box at either end of and Ethernet endpoint with a 75 ohm F connector

In other words your term *networking* is basically correct.
aremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
lrhorer

A "coax F connector", as you call it, will be carrying RF. It is nonsensical to attempt to transport one or more RF carriers over any sort of digital network. The RF carrier has no information associated with it.

I think you are going to have to clarify exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish, and why.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
jcthorne

I think what you are looking for is the soon to be released Tivo Mini. Closest currently available product to digitize and send video over an IP network would be the Slingbox.

Depending on the range, there are also several wireless HDMI connection systems that can transmit 50ft or so.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I think what you are looking for is the soon to be released Tivo Mini. Closest currently available product to digitize and send video over an IP network would be the Slingbox.

Depending on the range, there are also several wireless HDMI connection systems that can transmit 50ft or so.
It sounds like he needs to digitize the TV output and stream it over IP, then convert it back to TV on the far end. I don't know of anything that'll do the whole cable signal of a coax, but things certainly exist which can digitize and stream a specific channel or output (much less bandwith needed).

The forthcoming TiVo mini is a TiVo XL4/Elite specific way of doing that, or a slingbox or slingbox HD would do the same in general. Although for the slingbox you'd need something on the other end hooked up to the TV to play-back the stream. For the TiVo mini the XL4 act like its own slingbox (encoding the output into an IP compatible video stream) and the TiVo mini acts like the laptop, tablet, phone etc that's receiving and playing back the stream.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
mattack

No, he answered me no.. He's trying to do Internet over coax cable.. which is what we used to to do ~15 years ago. I remember the annoying little screw on connectors.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
No, he answered me no.. He's trying to do Internet over coax cable.. which is what we used to to do ~15 years ago. I remember the annoying little screw on connectors.
Except that wasn't over 75 Ohm RG-59 or RG-6, it was 50 Ohm and I think it was RG-58, and it was only 10Mb/s.

And it used BNC connectors.

Unless you're thinking of the other version that used "frozen yellow garden hose" and vampire taps.

Also only 10Mb/s.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremer View Post
No, not transmitting video over Ethernet cable.
That can be done with baluns.
I mean the reverse of what is known as a coax bridge.
There are lots of products (moca etc) that allow you to send Ethernet over coax. In our scenario we have a wireless bridge between 2 buildings. TiVo in one and tv in the other. We can connect to the bridge via Ethernet only (ip based bridge, no routing).
We need a black box at either end of and Ethernet endpoint with a 75 ohm F connector

In other words your term *networking* is basically correct.
Sounds like you need something like a Slingbox that'll wirelessly transmit the output of the TiVo from one building to the next without involving the present wireless Ethernet bridge at all.

Except it'll probably use the yellow, red, and white RCA jacks instead of the F-81 RF connectors.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
unitron

If the equipment to do what you have in mind actually exists, it would be hideously more expensive than any alternative solutions offered here.

How far apart are these buildings?

How close to the rest of the neighborhood?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
cannonz

Some hotels use what your describing, I don't know where you can buy them though.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote