TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
morac
Cat God

Doctor Who - "A Town Called Mercy" (9/15/12)

I thought this was a much better episode than last week's. Funny after all the arguing in last week's thread over whether the Doctor kills or not, the next episode brings the question out in the open by having him choose to at first kill then help a war criminal (albeit reformed). Apparently the answer is he will kill, but companions help him keep his moral center. There were no companions around last episode to stop him.

It was nice to see Ben Browder again. He's definitely no stranger to SciFi, but I still never expected to see him on Doctor Who.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

All of the episodes so far this season have left me somewhat flat, and the tension with the Ponds is troubling.

Did the Doctor age 300 years since last season?
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Idearat

I enjoyed this one. Pale Rider + Westworld + A Fistfull of Datas

The dilemma with the "war criminal" was good. What is worse, experimenting and killing 100's or letting many, many thousands die in a protracted war? Wasn't that the rationale behind dropping atomic weapons on Japan, that less died then that would in a ground assault? (and less than the number that died in the fire bombing of Tokyo )

Of course that was the same decision the Doctor and the town had to make. Turn over the guy who saved the town to be killed, the idea that letting one die was better than all of them dying. The doctor at least knew about the war, where until he arrived the town was close to sacrificing him without knowing that.

The moral questions had a Star Trek original series feel to them.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post
All of the episodes so far this season have left me somewhat flat, and the tension with the Ponds is troubling.

His older self said he was 1103 in The Impossible Astronaut, so that was his age by the end of last season, so he "only" aged 97 years since last season, that or he was rounding up.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post

His older self said he was 1103 in The Impossible Astronaut, so that was his age by the end of last season, so he "only" aged 97 years since last season, that or he was rounding up.
Well he wouldn't let the "almost 19" guy round up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

He's been aging pretty steadily the past few years. Wasn't he 800-something early in the Davies run? The (rather logical) notion being that we're only getting the highlights.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

From the previews I had expected to dislike this one, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. I felt the writing was simply much better in this episode than in the previous couple of episodes. It was refreshing to see the doctor actually get angry about something rather than "all madcap, all the time".
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I liked that they addressed the moral issue from last episode head on in this one. Amy raises an excellent question: "Since when does killing become an option?" This certainly is a fairly sizable change in the Doctor.

And not even that - him strapping on a gun really surprised me. I know, old west and all, but still, in the past the Doctor wouldn't have even considered wearing it.

I knew Ben Browder was going to be in this episode, but I had forgotten.... so I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why the marshal sounded so familiar.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I knew Ben Browder was going to be in this episode, but I had forgotten.... so I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why the marshal sounded so familiar.
Thanks for mentioning this. The voice I knew, but I really couldn't place his face with that hair and mustache. He might have put on a couple pounds since Stargate also. I meant to check the credits but forgot to.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I liked that they addressed the moral issue from last episode head on in this one. Amy raises an excellent question: "Since when does killing become an option?" This certainly is a fairly sizable change in the Doctor.

And not even that - him strapping on a gun really surprised me. I know, old west and all, but still, in the past the Doctor wouldn't have even considered wearing it.

Doctor Who and a gun. Not new. He toted guns in the old days. And carried and used weapons from the place and time he was in.

Forget it. Not getting into this argument over what the Doctor has and hasn't done again.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
From the previews I had expected to dislike this one, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. I felt the writing was simply much better in this episode than in the previous couple of episodes. It was refreshing to see the doctor actually get angry about something rather than "all madcap, all the time".
Editing still felt jumpy and the Ponds are a bit off writing wise but well written over all, yes.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
nirisahn

And once again, no one knew who the Doctor was. It will be interesting to see where that theme is going.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
And once again, no one knew who the Doctor was. It will be interesting to see where that theme is going.
Would you expect them to in this situation?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Would you expect them to in this situation?
Definitely not the townfolk as Earthlings seldom do unless they are in positions of power in the British Government,
but it always seems like the alien folk have heard of The Doctor.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
Didn't the Indian/Terran military at the beginning of last week know him?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Didn't the Indian/Terran military at the beginning of last week know him?
Yes.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
whitson77
Director Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post

This was a flat episode for me as well.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
windracer
joined the 10k club

Poor Rory, Mr. Third Wheel:

"Marshall ... ma'am ... fella."

Only two episodes left in the Pond's travels. The title for their last episode looks like it's going to be a good one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
This was a flat episode for me as well.
Yeah. I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but it just didn't grab me.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Dawghows

I enjoyed the episode well enough, and I really liked the cyborg, but on the whole I'm not exactly in love with this season. I know Moffat's stated intention was to move away from "complicated" multi-episode story arcs and toward a weekly "blockbuster" stand-alone style for the season, and I can understand that. But so far, though I still enjoy each episode, I miss those overarching storylines. Each week I sortof feel like, "OK, saw that one; what's next?" It's a little disappointing.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
MarkofT

Before the Saturday premiere, BBC America ran a couple episodes of ST:TNG. The second one was the one with Worf, his son, and Troi getting trapped on the holodeck in a spaghetti western.

Best quote was the Marshall's, "Everyone who isn't an American, put down the guns!"
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #22
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
Before the Saturday premiere, BBC America ran a couple episodes of ST:TNG. The second one was the one with Worf, his son, and Troi getting trapped on the holodeck in a spaghetti western.
A Fistful of Datas
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #23
cheesesteak
Meh.

Can't say I was thrilled with Amy pulling a gun on the Doctor.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
dtle

"Hot Tea, the strong stuff, and leave the bag in"

I'm gonna use that line now, since I cannot drink alcohol anymore.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
busyba
The Funcooker

Inside the marshall's office, on the wall by the door was a wanted poster that seemed to jump out at me in one of the shots. I wonder if there was any significance to it, or an inside joke, or anything like that.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #26
danterner
Not it!

The wanted poster caught my eye, too, but only because it bore a very very vague resemblance to the line sketch drawing of Heisenberg from Breaking Bad. (Meaning it didn't really look like it at all, but my mind still went there).

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #27
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

"No he isn't, I speak horse, he's called Susan, and he wants you to respect his life choices."
Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
morac
Cat God

I posted this in the Season Pass alerts forum, but I'll repeat it here for those that would otherwise miss it.

There's an error in the guide data for Doctor Who "The Power of Three" this Saturday where it has the first run air date as 9/22/10 instead of 9/22/12, so if you have a first run season pass, the episode won't be automatically scheduled.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
nirisahn

Quote:
I posted this in the Season Pass alerts forum, but I'll repeat it here for those that would otherwise miss it.

There's an error in the guide data for Doctor Who "The Power of Three" this Saturday where it has the first run air date as 9/22/10 instead of 9/22/12, so if you have a first run season pass, the episode won't be automatically scheduled.
Thanks for the heads up. It wasn't in my to-do list. It is now!
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #30
TonyD79

Quote:

Oddly, my directv dvr set the midnight show to record but not the 9 pm.