TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Neil 420

Premier XL4 vs Uverse vs DirecTV

Ok, my Tivo indeed appears to be dying. Now, I have to decide whether to get new hardware that commits me to two years of DirecTV, or go with Uverse or Atlantic Broadband.

I can transfer my lifetime sub to DirecTV, but would get a crippled Tivo based on hardware from 2004. I can get their generic dvr with multi-room support, but the FF,RWD, and Replay are sluggish from what I hear.

I could go with Uverse. I hear they have the best SD pq, so I might not really need HD expect for Game of Thrones. It's not like John Stewart's jokes are any funnier in HD. That means I have a four tuner, multi-room dvr that isn't too bad. Hopefully it has a more responsive UI than DirecTV.

Finally, I don't remember anymore why I hated cable so much when I switched to DirecTV in 1997. Ever since I got my DirecTivo unit in 2000, I've been pretty happy. Now Atlantic Broadband works with (uncrippled) Tivo and has triple play bundles that look attractive, even after adding the cost of a lifetime Tivo or two. The calculus seems to have shifted back to cable.

Yeah, there is a question in there somewhere. I'm a leaving something out? Is Uverse worth trying first?

Last edited by Neil 420 : 09-17-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask the question.
Neil 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

From your reasoning you say that Jon Stewart won't be any better in HD. So then why would Game of Thrones be any better in HD?

I know personally I'm not about to even consider watching Jon Stewart in SD.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Have you considered trying to repair your TiVo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Neil 420

@steve: The series 1 is so limited. I want a modern dvr: web interface, more tuners, multi-room, etc. Hopefully, the experience has improved in the past 12 years. Faster hardware and more refined software.

@aronwt: Game of Thrones is a very visual show. Monologues, whether they are Stewart or Sean Hannity, are not very visual. The visual part of the content is just a much less important part of the experience. It sounds like you've never seen Game of Thrones. The sets, scenery, wardrobe, and women are all beautiful in HD.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Neil 420

BTW, steve, are you suggesting that I repair my old Tivo because the Premier XL4 wont be a better experience?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
celtic pride

Are you sure you can transfer your tivo lifetime to tivo on directv? when i left directv and came to verizon fios i bought 2 tivo premieres and they didnt let me transfer my lifetimes from my directv tivos to my new tivo premieres with verizon.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil 420 View Post
@steve: The series 1 is so limited. I want a modern dvr: web interface, more tuners, multi-room, etc. Hopefully, the experience has improved in the past 12 years. Faster hardware and more refined software.

@aronwt: Game of Thrones is a very visual show. Monologues, whether they are Stewart or Sean Hannity, are not very visual. The visual part of the content is just a much less important part of the experience. It sounds like you've never seen Game of Thrones. The sets, scenery, wardrobe, and women are all beautiful in HD.
I guess my point was no matter what the show or content, I want to see it in HD.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
BTW, steve, are you suggesting that I repair my old Tivo because the Premier XL4 wont be a better experience?
Oh, not at all. I was curious of your mindset.

There's a difference between <wanting to upgrade> and <having to upgrade>.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
From your reasoning you say that Jon Stewart won't be any better in HD. So then why would Game of Thrones be any better in HD?
One word: boobs.

Toobular Boobular Joy

I kid...mostly. The series really has outstanding visuals which are best enjoyed in HD.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Neil 420

It seems like nobody has anything to say about the relative experience of using Uverse vs a Premier on Atlantic Broadband. Maybe my post was too general and I need to pose a more specific question.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
It seems like nobody has anything to say about the relative experience of using Uverse vs a Premier on Atlantic Broadband. Maybe my post was too general and I need to pose a more specific question.
TiVos are not compatible with Uverse*, and being that this forum is mostly TiVo users, I don't think your going to get much of a comparison there.

It really comes down to what type of TV service you want.
You want Uverse? Then you won't be getting a TiVo, *unless you want to get old SD technology (Series 2) that requires connection to a STB.
Satellite? If you want a TiVo, then you have to go with DirecTV and suffer with a limited feature set (or as above, get a Series 2 and connect to a STB).
That leaves you cable and FIOS. Some areas don't have FIOS, so that leaves you with cable.
Which cable company? Chances are there is only one to choose from.

That is why I'm OTA only.

I've only had experience with TiVo, so am of no use in comparing DVRs.
I can only give an opinion on which I think is the best <cough>TIVO</cough> from reading the experience of others.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Neil 420

As I mentioned in my original post and again in my last post, Atlantic Broadband is my option for cable TV service. They have an attractively priced triple play bundle. I've read that the cable card experience varies greatly from one cable co to another. Maybe I should have focused my post on that issue.

I know U-verse used to get horrible reviews for HD picture quality, but I read a couple reviews in my vicinity that said ATT made strides in that department. I'll have at least 30 days from installation to form my own opinion on that issue. Anyway, I watch mostly SD content. They will wire my house w/cat 5 Ethernet that I can keep even if I cancel service. The four-tuner, multi-room dvr has a very responsive UI and fast channel changing from what I saw in a video review on YouTube.

Last edited by Neil 420 : 01-20-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

a word of warning on tivo lifetime with directv. directv does not have a good history in maintaining tivo lifetime on directv accounts in their billing system. due to it's high dollar value and the potential for fraud or mis-use by both customers and agents, they have kept it tightly restricted, very dificult to add or maintain on a directv account, and a billing nightmare to get reinstated if it is ever accidentally removed. good luck to you if you transfer your tivo lifetime to directv.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
tivogurl

Quote:
As I mentioned in my original post and again in my last post, Atlantic Broadband is my option for cable TV service.
My condolences. I found them expensive and with a limited lineup compared to Comcast. Perhaps they've changed in the last couple of years.
Quote:
They will wire my house w/cat 5 Ethernet that I can keep even if I cancel service.
Very nice of them. Wire is cheap. If they're supplying the labor for free, I'd strongly consider asking them to install cat6 instead. Even if you have to pay for all the wire yourself, rather than just the difference in cost between cat5 and cat6, it might be worth it to have a gigabit network.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
wml1950

I have Atlantic BB in Miami with both hd TiVo and series 2 (std def). Atl BB works very well with TiVo with either cable card or std def. Most major stations are still on analog. A series 2 will work well. Please contact if need more info or help in locating a series 2 TiVo.

By the way, AT&T u-verse should work with series 2 up to station 99.
wml1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #16
Neil 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by wml1950 View Post
I have Atlantic BB in Miami with both hd TiVo and series 2 (std def). Atl BB works very well with TiVo with either cable card or std def. Most major stations are still on analog. A series 2 will work well. Please contact if need more info or help in locating a series 2 TiVo.

By the way, AT&T u-verse should work with series 2 up to station 99.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Many thanks. I'm in South Miami. I know they also have service on the beach. Which are you? Have you used it with a cable card too? Did it require a TA? What made you choose them over U-verse? Does the closed captioning work? A friend of mine said that U-verse closed captioning frequently went out of sync.

I last used cable here in 1997 and the pq sucked. Has it improved any?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #17
Neil 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
My condolences. I found them expensive and with a limited lineup compared to Comcast. Perhaps they've changed in the last couple of years.

Very nice of them. Wire is cheap. If they're supplying the labor for free, I'd strongly consider asking them to install cat6 instead. Even if you have to pay for all the wire yourself, rather than just the difference in cost between cat5 and cat6, it might be worth it to have a gigabit network.
I'll have to review the channel lineup more closely, but it looks like it has everything I watch, as long as I get a digital tier.

Yeah, I was already planning to buy a spool of cat6 and even offering the guy some cash to drop a few extra lines for me.