TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee8 View Post
Do you mean getting lifetime on a new Premiere for $99? How do I go about that? I've never had lifetime on any of my 3 boxes to date.

I'm looking at buying from either TIVO, Best Buy, or Amazon...
Sorry, no, lifetime on the S3 for $99 if you're also buying a Premiere which would otherwise mean discontinuing the sub on the S3.

It's like their one last shot at getting some money out of you and it, and keeping their subscription numbers up.

Which is why if you sell it to someone first, they aren't getting that offer, 'cause they aren't a subscriber yet, and so they don't have any leverage with TiVo like you would.

Also, if you paid for a 3 year sub back when lifetime wasn't available, and that 3 year sub is running out, you can threaten to cancel/not renew and get the offer.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #32
Mike Richardson

edit: The TiVo doesn't crash anymore. Unfortunately, the Cable Card lost it's CP Auth, so some random arbitrary channels don't load anymore, despite calling the activation line twice. I don't think they are doing it right.

edit 2: Tried 1-800-XFINITY. They fixed it right away.

So basically, somehow the software went bad on the drive (but not the drive it's self), causing it to reboot every 10-20 minutes. I had to download a fresh image. This caused the Cable Card to become unpaired, which (predictably) took several calls to Comcast to get fixed. 3 days later I can now again enjoy my $2.49 apartment subsidized cable.

Thanks for your help, especially to unitron for posting the fresh image.

Last edited by Mike Richardson : 09-27-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Mike Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richardson View Post
So basically, somehow the software went bad on the drive (but not the drive it's self), causing it to reboot every 10-20 minutes. I had to download a fresh image.
Your conclusion seems reasonable, but how can that happen? I thought the TiVo checked its software while booting, mostly to make sure nothing has been hacked. It's not practical to check for garbled video data, and changes in something like a season pass might be hard to detect, but how can the TiVo not notice software that has been modified, either intentionally or accidentally? Could reboots be caused by something like a garbled season pass?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richardson View Post
edit: The TiVo doesn't crash anymore. Unfortunately, the Cable Card lost it's CP Auth, so some random arbitrary channels don't load anymore, despite calling the activation line twice. I don't think they are doing it right.

edit 2: Tried 1-800-XFINITY. They fixed it right away.

So basically, somehow the software went bad on the drive (but not the drive it's self), causing it to reboot every 10-20 minutes. I had to download a fresh image. This caused the Cable Card to become unpaired, which (predictably) took several calls to Comcast to get fixed. 3 days later I can now again enjoy my $2.49 apartment subsidized cable.

Thanks for your help, especially to unitron for posting the fresh image.
Okay, until I know more, I'm going to blame cable cards.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Your conclusion seems reasonable, but how can that happen? ...
Gremlins.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #36
barbja

I also started having this same problem on one of my S3s about 6-7 months ago. It started rebooting itself so often that its now in a state where it won't leave the orange/yellow 'please wait' screen anymore.

I do eventually want to replace the drive; I'm just waiting until I have the spare dollars and gumption to do it.

I guess I could replace it with a premier. I have an elite, but I got that just so that I could have 4 tuners (how can you resist more tuners?!). I like some things better about the elite's interface but others I don't. I Greatly prefer the S3 playback transport controls though -- the way that they implemented the 30 second skip in the freakin' premier is maddening.
barbja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
I also started having this same problem on one of my S3s about 6-7 months ago. It started rebooting itself so often that its now in a state where it won't leave the orange/yellow 'please wait' screen anymore.

I do eventually want to replace the drive; I'm just waiting until I have the spare dollars and gumption to do it.

I guess I could replace it with a premier. I have an elite, but I got that just so that I could have 4 tuners (how can you resist more tuners?!). I like some things better about the elite's interface but others I don't. I Greatly prefer the S3 playback transport controls though -- the way that they implemented the 30 second skip in the freakin' premier is maddening.
Have you bothered to open up the S3 and look at the power supply capacitors?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #38
MickeS

My Series 3 started having this same issue a few days ago. It had bulging capacitors, so I replaced them tonight, but it's still doing the same thing.

I ran the kickstart HD tests, and I got a "Fail 7" message on two of the tests. I ran the "fix MFS" kickstart code, and the green screen came up telling me it had discovered a serious error, and that it was attempting to fix it and this would take up to 3 hours. However, just minutes after, the TiVo restarted again, went into the same MFS fix mode, restarted again, etc.

So I don't know what's going on... but I'm thinking I might give a new replacement drive a shot.

So my question is, which drives are currently recommended for a Series 3? I tried to search, but didn't find any concise answer. I don't care much about size, I have an upgraded 750GB WD drive in it right now, that's been in there for like 5 or 6 years, and is OK sizewise.

Are any of these drives OK: http://www.shopsws.com/hard-drives-a...-internal.html

Anything Best Buy has that I could get?

Would prefer to buy something locally ASAP and get things working again...

Thanks!
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #39
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
My Series 3 started having this same issue a few days ago. It had bulging capacitors, so I replaced them tonight, but it's still doing the same thing.

I ran the kickstart HD tests, and I got a "Fail 7" message on two of the tests. I ran the "fix MFS" kickstart code, and the green screen came up telling me it had discovered a serious error, and that it was attempting to fix it and this would take up to 3 hours. However, just minutes after, the TiVo restarted again, went into the same MFS fix mode, restarted again, etc.

So I don't know what's going on... but I'm thinking I might give a new replacement drive a shot.

So my question is, which drives are currently recommended for a Series 3? I tried to search, but didn't find any concise answer. I don't care much about size, I have an upgraded 750GB WD drive in it right now, that's been in there for like 5 or 6 years, and is OK sizewise.

Are any of these drives OK: http://www.shopsws.com/hard-drives-a...-internal.html

Anything Best Buy has that I could get?

Would prefer to buy something locally ASAP and get things working again...

Thanks!
Unfotunately you just missed the chance to get a WD20EURS from Amazon or newegg for $100, now it's back up to $120.

I'd avoid everything on the link you included as being too small, too new, or too fast, or some combination.

Avoid WD drives with Zs and Xs in the model number, avoid 6Gb/s drives, a 2TB drive is your best GB/$ ratio buy right now and 2TB is the biggest drive your TiVo can use.

A WD20EADS, WD20EARS, WD20EACS, or WD20EURS at around $100 would be good, but only the EURS seems to still be available at any price.

There doesn't seem to be agreement on which Seagates do and don't work.

Someone mentioned using a Samsung or Hitachi the other day, I suppose you could search the entire site for each of those names in turn to find the comment.

And anything at Best Buy these days will probably be in a retail box with its own part/model number, which means there's no way to tell what's actually in the box.

And I think everything they have on the shelves is down to a 1 year warranty at this point, which should be a big red flag, although all of that isn't BB's fault, but the drivemakers'.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #40
MickeS

Thanks for the quick response!

I looked at the old drive now, and it wasn't a WD, it was a Seagate drive model DB35.3. I'll keep your criteria in mind when looking, thanks.

I'm thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148900
As far as I can tell, it's a similar drive to the one I had in there (supposedly designed for DVR use with 24x7 use). Promo stuff from Seagate here: http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...s/pipeline-hd/
Anyone used it?

I also put the original 250GB drive back in just now to test, and the TiVo started just fine with that, so I'm guessing the issue is the drive, maybe it was both the drive and the capacitors before... either way, those capacitors were bulging, so the $11 I spent replacing them were probably well spent anyway.

Last edited by MickeS : 10-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #41
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response!

I looked at the old drive now, and it wasn't a WD, it was a Seagate drive model DB35.3. I'll keep your criteria in mind when looking, thanks.

I'm thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148900
As far as I can tell, it's a similar drive to the one I had in there (supposedly designed for DVR use with 24x7 use). Promo stuff from Seagate here: http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...s/pipeline-hd/
Anyone used it?

I also put the original 250GB drive back in just now to test, and the TiVo started just fine with that, so I'm guessing the issue is the drive, maybe it was both the drive and the capacitors before... either way, those capacitors were bulging, so the $11 I spent replacing them were probably well spent anyway.
You absolutely needed to replace at least some of those caps.

As for the drive in there now, the DB35, I think that's a Pipeline model.

As for spending $120 for the

Seagate Pipeline HD ST2000VM002 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

with a 2 year warranty,

you just missed paying $20 less on either of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

which are the same drive, the WD20EURS, and it comes with a 3 year warranty and reports from me and other TCF'ers that it works in an S3 HD just fine.

Amazon packed mine well, don't know about newegg on this particular model.

You can use jmfs to copy the old Seagate to a new 2TB and expand, and maybe it'll work out and you won't lose your settings or shows.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #42
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You absolutely needed to replace at least some of those caps.

As for the drive in there now, the DB35, I think that's a Pipeline model.

As for spending $120 for the

Seagate Pipeline HD ST2000VM002 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

with a 2 year warranty,

you just missed paying $20 less on either of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

which are the same drive, the WD20EURS, and it comes with a 3 year warranty and reports from me and other TCF'ers that it works in an S3 HD just fine.

Amazon packed mine well, don't know about newegg on this particular model.

You can use jmfs to copy the old Seagate to a new 2TB and expand, and maybe it'll work out and you won't lose your settings or shows.
Thanks, I think I'll get that WD drive.

Is there an advantage to using jmfs vs WinMFS if WinMFS says my faulty drive is not a TiVo drive... seems it can't read it. Is jmfs the only way to get a 2TB running? I do have the original drive with v 9.x of the TiVo software on it.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #43
unitron

Quote:
Thanks, I think I'll get that WD drive.

Is there an advantage to using jmfs vs WinMFS if WinMFS says my faulty drive is not a TiVo drive... seems it can't read it. Is jmfs the only way to get a 2TB running? I do have the original drive with v 9.x of the TiVo software on it.
If it's screwed up enough that WinMFS doesn't consider it a TiVo drive (It can see it, but can't read it?), then jmfs will probably re-act the same way.

Stick the original back in and let it get its software updated to the latest and make sure it has the right cable and over the air lineups and cable card pairing and whatnot, and then you can copy it.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #44
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Is jmfs the only way to get a 2TB running? I do have the original drive with v 9.x of the TiVo software on it.
If you want to go 2TB, then you have to use JMFS. WinMFS alone won't do the job. IIRC, there's a limitation in the WinMFS software and it doesn't completely take advantage of the full 2TB.

The JMFS software is easy enough to use.
To take full advantage of 2TB in the TivoHD, you 'copy' and 'expand' using JMFS and then you 'supersize' with WinMFS.

Edit:
Nevermind. I see that you have an original Series 3.
Things are slightly different with that model. You can still get to 2TB, but the method is different.
Hopefully someone else can better explain as I am only familiar with the TivoHD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-04-2012 at 03:04 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #45
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If you want to go 2TB, then you have to use JMFS. WinMFS alone won't do the job. IIRC, there's a limitation in the WinMFS software and it doesn't completely take advantage of the full 2TB.

The JMFS software is easy enough to use.
To take full advantage of 2TB in the TivoHD, you 'copy' and 'expand' using JMFS and then you 'supersize' with WinMFS.

Edit:
Nevermind. I see that you have an original Series 3.
Things are slightly different with that model. You can still get to 2TB, but the method is different.
Hopefully someone else can better explain as I am only familiar with the TivoHD.
I thought the TiVoHD and the Series 3 used the same method, but the Premiere used a different method? I'm going to give the TiVoHD method a shot, because that's all I found per http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

Also, I found a WD drive called model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN at Best Buy, which per this thread on the WD forum is a WD20EARS drive, which people seem to have been successful with, so I got that one. Just in case someone is interested.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #46
unitron

Quote:
I thought the TiVoHD and the Series 3 used the same method, but the Premiere used a different method? I'm going to give the TiVoHD method a shot, because that's all I found per http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

Also, I found a WD drive called model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN at Best Buy, which per this thread on the WD forum is a WD20EARS drive, which people seem to have been successful with, so I got that one. Just in case someone is interested.

Thanks for the help everyone.
jmfs was devloped to upgrade Premiere drives.

By lucky chance it works on the S3 HD and S3 HD XL as well, but apparently not the original S3.

That which drive did I buy thread is about a year old and the OP probably got a pre-flood drive.

The box with the model number

WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN

has contained several different model number drives in the past few years, the WD20EACS, the WD20EARS, the WD20EADS, among others, all of which should work in new enough TiVos, however lately it's contained newer model WD drives with Xs and Zs in the model number, and I don't think I've seen any success stories involving those.

You might want to return it and get a WD20EURS from Amazon or newegg for $120 (unfortunately you just missed a 2 day period when they were $100).

Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #47
MickeS

Quote:
jmfs was devloped to upgrade Premiere drives.

By lucky chance it works on the S3 HD and S3 HD XL as well, but apparently not the original S3.
OK, now I'm confused... my model is the TiVo Series 3 model number 648250B. I thought jmfs worked with this, but you're saying it doesn't? I guess I'll just have to settle for using WinMFS if not, and not use the full drive.

Quote:
That which drive did I buy thread is about a year old and the OP probably got a pre-flood drive.

The box with the model number

WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN

has contained several different model number drives in the past few years, the WD20EACS, the WD20EARS, the WD20EADS, among others, all of which should work in new enough TiVos, however lately it's contained newer model WD drives with Xs and Zs in the model number, and I don't think I've seen any success stories involving those.

You might want to return it and get a WD20EURS from Amazon or newegg for $120 (unfortunately you just missed a 2 day period when they were $100).
Yeah, just keep reminding me I missed that sale! Thanks for the info... I might just take it out of the box and put it in a PC if it's not a known compatible drive.... argh, why is this such a hassle.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #48
unitron

Quote:
OK, now I'm confused... my model is the TiVo Series 3 model number 648250B. I thought jmfs worked with this, but you're saying it doesn't? I guess I'll just have to settle for using WinMFS if not, and not use the full drive.

Yeah, just keep reminding me I missed that sale! Thanks for the info... I might just take it out of the box and put it in a PC if it's not a known compatible drive.... argh, why is this such a hassle.

It's a hassle for a number of reasons, but the drive makers seem to be going out of their way to make it even worse than usual lately.

Currently the best I can do for you is to tell you to start reading here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...33#post9168233

and go forward.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #49
MickeS

Thanks!

After a bunch of reading here at the forum tonight, I had decided to call it a day and stick to the original drive for now. Then I remembered I had an old 500GB WD drive from 2008 that I hadn't used in years... I used WinMFS to copy and expand the original 250GB drive onto the 500GB drive, and popped that into the TiVo. Alas, it didn't boot. Then I did some more reading, and found out about the IntelliPark feature and how to disable it.

After doing that, the 500GB drive worked like a charm (knock on wood, only been in there for about half an hour now ), so I'll stick to this configuration for now. 70HD hours will have to do for a while.

Thanks unitron and the others who wrote in all those other threads for your help!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #50
unitron

Quote:
Thanks!

After a bunch of reading here at the forum tonight, I had decided to call it a day and stick to the original drive for now. Then I remembered I had an old 500GB WD drive from 2008 that I hadn't used in years... I used WinMFS to copy and expand the original 250GB drive onto the 500GB drive, and popped that into the TiVo. Alas, it didn't boot. Then I did some more reading, and found out about the IntelliPark feature and how to disable it.

After doing that, the 500GB drive worked like a charm (knock on wood, only been in there for about half an hour now ), so I'll stick to this configuration for now. 70HD hours will have to do for a while.

Thanks unitron and the others who wrote in all those other threads for your help!
What's the model number on that 500GB?

If your cable co. doesn't lock down everything it can with the no copy bit, that 2TB in a computer running TiVo Desktop is a good place to relocate the My TiVo Recordings folder, and you can create sub-folders in that into which to sort shows, and those folders will be visible when you go to the computer in your TiVo's Now Playing list.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #51
bstendel

I'm crashing too!

I searched online, then came back to Tivo forums to see if anyone else was having any problems. Seems to be, but I haven't read thru all the posts yet. Wondering if anyone else remembers back a couple of years ago this was happening. Constant reboots. Turned out, Tivo had done a software upgrade that was causing the problem. I'll go read the thread now.

OK, so I read briefly thru the thread. And someone stated it seems to be a prevalent problem. Any chance it was a software update as before?

Last edited by bstendel : 10-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.
bstendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #52
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstendel View Post
OK, so I read briefly thru the thread. And someone stated it seems to be a prevalent problem. Any chance it was a software update as before?
On a TiVo 3? No.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #53
bstendel

seriously ipwcomp?
bstendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #54
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstendel View Post
seriously ipwcomp?

Disappointed in TiVo - Lack of Support for Series 3

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=491340

4 pages so far

Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #55
MickeS

Quote:
What's the model number on that 500GB?
The 500GB was a WD5000AACS-00ZUB0 according to the WD Diagnostics.

When googling it, seems like people had issues with it, but that was before the IntelliPark disabling thing was discovered it seems. It's been running fine since Thursday now.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #56
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Put me on the list for sudden reboots on my S3.

Started last night, and each time it crashed itself it wouldn't boot back up and would hang in various states of the process. Each time resetting the power allowed it to boot back up completely.

I've completely removed any questionable programs that were recording or watching when it happened and am running the hard drive test (kickstart 54 SMART test).

It has passed the first 3 tests for each HD (I have a 1GB extended) but on the Primary drive I have received a "No Start" for the Extended and Off-line scan. It had started the Extended and said it was going to take about 90 mins, but 10 or so into it is when it changed to "No Start" and the Off Line test last 1 sec. Not quite sure what that means? The Secondary drive is still going through the Extended test.

Edit: I cancelled the above tests, rebooted and went to run a 58. The green screen flashed quick them it went to the "Installing a service update" screen. I thought it was supposed to stay on the green screen while it ran it's tests? Oh wait... now it's rebooting, maybe it really was a service update. Hrmm

Edit 2: I rebooted again after the "update" and ran a 57 this time, now I get the green screen saying my unit has a serious problem and it will take about 3hrs to fix it...

Last edited by snowjay : 10-09-2012 at 08:38 AM.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #57
snowjay
40mph couch potato

It rebooted again after the 57, and I went to rerun the 54 and it got further than it did last time before it went "No Start" again on the primary drive. I rebooted again, attempted to do a 58, again got an "installing service update" and then it when it rebooted it would hang on the welcome screen. Now powering off/on it just keeps hanging there. I pulled the cover and looked at the PS and there appear to be 3 "domed" caps. They are #s C701, C401 & C402.

I'm not the best with a soldering iron and small parts like that, so I think I might just order a new PS from Weaknees unless someone wants to try and talk me out of it.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #58
HerronScott

Any local TV repair shops? You could buy the parts and see what they would charge to replace them for you.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #59
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Not that I'm aware of, I'd have to check the "yellow pages" to be sure.

I did pull the board to see the underside and some of those joints are awfully close. Now way I can do that with my existing iron tip but I think with a thinner tip I could do it.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #60
control-z

I too am having the reboot problem, with my Tivo HD. It has an upgraded hard drive in it, I did the upgrade a year or two ago. The reboots seemed to start happening when I was watching a recording of last Thursdays Person of Interest.

However I am having trouble getting to the HD diagnostics. The Tivo HD boots, and after a minute or so the green light blanks and I hold pause, then the yellow and orange (IIRC) lights come on. I quickly enter 54 but the Tivo just keeps booting like normal. Should I see an immediate reaction when I type 54 or 57 or whatever?

Also, I have the RF (not IR) remote, does that make any difference?

Last edited by control-z : 10-09-2012 at 04:09 PM.
control-z is offline   Reply With Quote