TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Wearing the same clothes when ? When they got back or when they left ?
When came back to their party Rory's father asked the Doctor if they just left and come back from an adventure because both Rory and Amy were wearing different cloths, the doctor says yes and we learn that they were gone for 7 weeks in what was only seconds to the people at the party. The cloths they came back wearing were the same cloths from the previous episode.

I've read lots of crazy theories btw....

The craziest two are that the little girl in the computer from the library in episode Forest of the Dead (where River Song dies, but lives in the computer) is also the new companion. She tell River when they meet in the virtual world "Aren't I a clever girl" which is how Oswin talks. The second is that Oswin is also the daughter or River Song and the Doctor. In the beginning of the Asylum of the Daleks the Doctor says something like that is really hard for someone to get a message to him, something probably only River Song could do.

It would also explain why at the last scene of the Library, River kisses the girl good night and looks like she's raising the girl as her daughter in the virtual world, that maybe her daughter built for her.

Just theories, not mine, they're probably off base, but I like them.

Last edited by robojerk : 09-25-2012 at 03:31 PM.
robojerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #32
robojerk

The big theory is that the reason this goodbye is so drawn out, and why The Doctor seems to be traveling backwards through the Pond's life, is because he already saw them die. He's going back to revisit them because he misses them.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #33
JohnB1000

A slightly different version is that he knows their time together is ending so he just wants to continue enjoying it, also because they have become jaded, he's traveling to when they were not.

There have been some confusing things, at the end of Dinosaurs, they said they wanted to go home but at the beginning of Town they were just there for example, no explanation. I think there is definitely something going on with the current timeline.

IF I was to guess the true timeline is

Power of Three
Town
Dinosaurs
Asylum

Pond Life clearly overlaps because in the middle he shows them adventures from this season but the "divorce" appears to come at the end though that is not definite.

So without me realizing it, until I wrote it down, we're going in reverse order.

I'm not worrying right now about theories about Oswin It was the Dalek Parliament that called him remember not Oswin, though there could be a connection.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
robojerk

Quote:
IF I was to guess the true timeline is

Beginning of Power of Three
Town
Dinosaurs
End of Power of Three
Asylum
That looks better.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #35
Dawghows

This makes me feel like I need to go back and watch them all again.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #36
danterner
Not it!

If this bears out, and the episodes are being aired out of sequence intentionally as part of some larger plan, then that makes me like this season so much more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #37
robojerk

And where does "Pond Life" fit in?
Quote:
And where does "Pond Life" fit in? My current guess is that when the Doctor barges into their bedroom in one of the minisodes, he's expecting them to be in the middle of the events of "The Power of Three," but that's mostly a hunch based on that shot of them in bed, and also the fact that Chris Chibnall wrote "Pond Life" as well as "The Power of Three."

Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #38
JohnB1000

I don't know, Pond Life was spread over a few months. In the middle the Doctor visited and scenes were shown from this season in relation to "what's going on". Pond Life may well overlap everything.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #39
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I don't think phrases like "the true timeline" make any sense when talking about a show like this.

Wibbley wobbley timey wimey and all that.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #40
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
If this bears out, and the episodes are being aired out of sequence intentionally as part of some larger plan, then that makes me like this season so much more.
+1. I'm still tired of Amy though. Sure wish her daughter would show up soon.
My favorite departure scene is and always will be when Tom Baker drops Sarah Jane Smith off at home. I can't see the Ponds topping that.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #41
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
My favorite departure scene is and always will be when Tom Baker drops Sarah Jane Smith off at nowhere near her home.
FYP

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #42
cstelter

Quote:
Power of Three
Town
Dinosaurs
Asylum
I also like the idea of purposely out-of-order episodes. I'd have to go back and watch the start of Dinosaurs, but that would seem to be Dad's (He'll always be Mr. Weasley to me) first introduction to the Doctor. However, in Power of Three, he clearly knew him from the start (at least that's how I recall it). Not sure how ^3 can come before Dinosaurs. Mr. Weasley's personal timeline should be in sync with Rory/Amy's.

An interesting note-- last episode's thread discussed Rory's age of 31. This episode I seem to recall them saying they spent 10 years travelling with the Doctor, but not on Earth. At the party they aged 7 weeks in just seconds, but the other nurse mentioned that Rory would be missing for months at at time. Does this mean that the Doctor just 'misses' his target date when he returns them? Has he ever returned them out-of-order? So on Earth, Rory from Feb-Mar is the one that was taken the following december, returned to Feb, and picked up again in March and then returned to the following Jan where he should have been. They could have some fun with that...

Last edited by cstelter : 09-26-2012 at 09:50 AM.
cstelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #43
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelter View Post
Mr. Weasley's personal timeline should be in sync with Rory/Amy's.
Why?

Unless he always travels with them, there's almost no way their timelines would match up.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #44
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Why?

Unless he always travels with them, there's almost no way their timelines would match up.
"In sync" wasn't the best term for what I think he's trying to say.

"Parallel" or "same relative order" might be better. Yes, Amy and Rory might disappear for a few months and then come back such that Dad only percieves them as gone for a few hours, but they still maintain the same order of events when together.

The only way A&R and Dad would get their relative order out of sync with each other (like it is with the Doctor and River [or really, River and everybody else]) is if the Doctor ever returned A&R to their "real lives" at a point in time before they had left.

I don't think he's ever done that. I'm pretty sure he would explicitly avoid ever doing that, since they aren't supposed to go back over their own timeline.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #45
busyba
The Funcooker

IOW, Amy and Rory's "real life" timeline (the time they spend on earth and not traveling with the Doctor) is linear. Dad's "real life" timeline is also linear.

So any common experiences that the three of them have had, they have all had them in the same order.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #46
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
IOW, Amy and Rory's "real life" timeline (the time they spend on earth and not traveling with the Doctor) is linear. Dad's "real life" timeline is also linear.

So any common experiences that the three of them have had, they have all had them in the same order.
Thank you! This is exactly what I meant by 'in sync'.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #47
TonyD79

Of course. Doesn't mean the Doctor is not living the episodes out of order.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #48
JohnB1000

Another thing was pointed out to day. Every ep this season has featured a key moment with flickering lights or light bulbs and that, while common, might play into the next episode.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #49
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Of course. Doesn't mean the Doctor is not living the episodes out of order.
Agreed.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #50
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Every ep this season has featured a key moment with flickering lights or light bulbs and that, while common, might play into the next episode.
There's going to be a "Doctor Who"/"Revolution" crossover!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #51
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
And it will be the second season that Moffat has used The Doctor moving through time in a different direction as his companion(s) as a story arc device. And this is only his second season as show runner.

If this bears out to be correct, then I will lose hope in his story writing/ driving abilities.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post
And this is only his second season as show runner.
Yes.

If you mean "second" in the sense of "third."

Seriously, though, that's one thing I've liked about Moffat...he genuinely likes playing with time, which is quite useful when you're running a show about a time traveler (as opposed to Davies, who seemed to fear time travel).
Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #53
TonyD79

Quote:
And it will be the second season that Moffat has used The Doctor moving through time in a different direction as his companion(s) as a story arc device. And this is only his second season as show runner.

If this bears out to be correct, then I will lose hope in his story writing/ driving abilities.
Why?

With River, we saw it from the Doctors perspective. This could be from the companions perspective. When you are talking the doctor, time is not linear for all. Should be normal.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #54
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I rather liked this episode although the resolution seemed more than a bit hurried. Two minutes left, let's blow up the bad guy. I also have no idea what the two guys with the cube mouths were doing.
+1
Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #55
cstelter

Quote:

Moffat introduced the concept of moving through time in a different direction as his companion something like 4 seasons when he introduced River.

Oh, and who else noticed that when the Doctor and Amy/Rory were enjoying a 'snack' (watchint TV I think?) it was fish fingers and custard?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #56
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelter View Post

Oh, and who else noticed that when the Doctor and Amy/Rory were enjoying a 'snack' (watchint TV I think?) it was fish fingers and custard?
When The Doctor claimed to have invented Yorkshire Pudding. They didn't seem to believe him so he mentioned that it was a pudding that was savory, and waved his fish finger around a bit.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #57
JohnB1000

So I just watched Dinosaurs again. When The Doctor meets Brian he gives a very exaggerated hello, almost as if he was pretending to meet him for the first time.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #58
Church AV Guy

This episode was almost five minutes shorter than the ones that came before it, and after it. That seemed very odd to me, but I recorded it twice and took the commercials out, and I had not made a mistake. Was it just my recording, or did anyone else notice it?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #59
Rosincrans
mad north-north-west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
This episode was almost five minutes shorter than the ones that came before it, and after it. That seemed very odd to me, but I recorded it twice and took the commercials out, and I had not made a mistake. Was it just my recording, or did anyone else notice it?
I bought the season on ITunes and I can confirm it is the shortest. (41 mins) Tthe average is about 45 mins.
Tell me I'm not nerdy enough to belong
Rosincrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #60
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosincrans View Post
I bought the season on ITunes and I can confirm it is the shortest. (41 mins) Tthe average is about 45 mins.
That pretty much matches my numbers. Thanks for the confirmation. It just seems so strange when that happens. I remember an episode of LOST like that. I was sure I had deleted some content, or my receiver had somehow dropped part of the show. I finally found out that it was INDEED quite a bit shorter than their regular episodes.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote