TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Revolution S01E02....9.24.12

Haven't watched it yet...others too lazy to start thread...so here ya go...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Will be OD'n it tonight..will report back after we watch.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I watched it, but I'm too lazy to comment on it.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

I've watched the pilot and the 2nd episode back to back. I do not like Charlie at all. Also, is she supposed to be a teenager? If so, she must have that aging disease since she looks closer to 30 than 20.

If I buy into the fact that there's no electricity, shouldn't there still be steam and coal powered transportation like trains?

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I've watched the pilot and the 2nd episode back to back. I do not like Charlie at all. Also, is she supposed to be a teenager? If so, she must have that aging disease since she looks closer to 30 than 20.

If I buy into the fact that there's no electricity, shouldn't there still be steam and coal powered transportation like trains?
That would be too logical and make for boring TV!! Come on!!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
DLiquid
Progressive User

After my expectations were severely lowered by the premiere, I have to say that I found this episode to be decent. Unlike the premiere, I wasn't bothered by a million little things that seemed unbelievable. Archer boy still bugs me though. I cringed when I first saw C. Thomas Howell, but then laughed when they killed him off a few minutes later. The fact that Elizabeth Mitchell's character is alive is a huge plus in my opinion.

This episode definitely shows you where things are headed, though I guess I should have known based on the title of the show. That's great that the American flag is the rebel flag. I think I'm in for the ride if future episodes are at this level.

They gave away a big spoiler in the preview for next week's episode:
Spoiler:
That the uncle was the founder of the militia. Given his relationship with Monroe, this was perhaps predictable, but I think this will give an interesting dynamic to the revolution that is coming.

DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post

At least Google-Guy addressed that, somewhat, in his "we should be able to fix these types of things, so the fact that we haven't been able to means The Event was man-made, and therefore can be man-unmade" speech.

Regarding the preview clip at the end of the episode, I was really glad to see that (casting spoiler)

Spoiler:
Mark Pellegrino

will be making an appearance. Love him. No idea if he's on-board for a major role or just a one-and-done C. Thomas Howell type of guest spot, but I hope he sticks around.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I watched it, but I'm too lazy to comment on it.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I killed the SP based on the Pilot. But when there's nothing on I'll check it out On Demand.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

I watched it, it's ok. I guess my issue is I can't tell what they want their show to be. Do they want teen angst, or science hoopla, or overarching mystery, or a LOST-type "all the characters are intertwined" story, or what? You can't be everything to all viewers. It's early in the story and it's still interesting enough to keep me watching, as the writers attempt to figure out what they have on their hands.

[Ratings aside, from TVbytheNumbers: Revolution garnered a 3.5, down sharply from last week's 4.1 18-49 rating, though this is not an unexpected drop post premiere and NBC has to be pretty happy about it considering it faced original scripted competition on ABC & CBS this week.]

I agree with cheese about Charlie. We had a number of lingering closeups on her this week, and she ain't no kid. I'm not thrilled with her casting anyway, but then most writers make teens into idiots, so it's hard to differentiate between crappy teen writing and crappy teen acting.

And as if the mystery woman with the compuserve connection wasn't enough, now we have "Randall" after her. And of course she has no real protection from home invasion, just a couple of home depot deadbolts. [Seriously, if you're gonna have some super-secret home computer setup in a world with no computers, can't you at least protect/hide it better?]

I'll see where it goes. It doesn't appear to be the tightest written show on TV, but it's not as bad as some where the SP didn't survive the night (hello Terra Firma).

Oh, and enough with the incredibly cheesy sword fights. I feel like I'm watching a Monty Python parody.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I watched it, it's ok. I guess my issue is I can't tell what they want their show to be. Do they want teen angst, or science hoopla, or overarching mystery, or a LOST-type "all the characters are intertwined" story, or what? You can't be everything to all viewers. It's early in the story and it's still interesting enough to keep me watching, as the writers attempt to figure out what they have on their hands.

[Ratings aside, from TVbytheNumbers: Revolution garnered a 3.5, down sharply from last week's 4.1 18-49 rating, though this is not an unexpected drop post premiere and NBC has to be pretty happy about it considering it faced original scripted competition on ABC & CBS this week.]

I agree with cheese about Charlie. We had a number of lingering closeups on her this week, and she ain't no kid. I'm not thrilled with her casting anyway, but then most writers make teens into idiots, so it's hard to differentiate between crappy teen writing and crappy teen acting.

And as if the mystery woman with the compuserve connection wasn't enough, now we have "Randall" after her. And of course she has no real protection from home invasion, just a couple of home depot deadbolts. [Seriously, if you're gonna have some super-secret home computer setup in a world with no computers, can't you at least protect/hide it better?]

I'll see where it goes. It doesn't appear to be the tightest written show on TV, but it's not as bad as some where the SP didn't survive the night (hello Terra Firma).

Oh, and enough with the incredibly cheesy sword fights. I feel like I'm watching a Monty Python parody.
Not to mention at least make it less conspicuous! I mean if there is one door in a house with 10 friggin locks on it, then yeah, I'd be thinkin' "What's behind THIS door lady!!??"
Old 09-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
I watched it, it's ok. I guess my issue is I can't tell what they want their show to be. Do they want teen angst, or science hoopla, or overarching mystery, or a LOST-type "all the characters are intertwined" story, or what? You can't be everything to all viewers.
Wasn't Lost at the same time science hoopla, overarching mystery, and all characters intertwined? There may not have been teen angst, but there were love triangles which is fairly similar. A good show (and I'm not saying this is one) can be genre-bending. In fact, I prefer it to be.

Quote:
NBC has to be over the moon ecstatic about these numbers. 3.5 is a very solid number, and the fact that it rather easily won the key demo over the season premieres of Castle and H:5-0 makes it a solid win on the night for NBC.

Quote:
She's 24. I would guess that her age on the show is somewhere around 20 (she appears to be 5 or so in the flashbacks, and it's been 15 years since then). That's hardly out of the ordinary.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

I liked it.. Im a sucker for these type shows and I agree its not the tightest written show around, but really want to see where it goes..

scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes charlie is supposed to be 20 years old. Her brother is suppsoed to be 19 years old.

http://revolution.wikin.com/wiki/Charlie_Matheson
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
astrohip
Stuart F

Interview with Elizabeth Mitchell

http://tvline.com/2012/09/24/revolut...beth-mitchell/

only very broad spoilers, nothing really revealing
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

If find myself rooting for Charlie and her brother to die, never a good sign when I root for the demise of main characters.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
ElJay

About 20 minutes in, I decided sleep would be more interesting than watching this show. Against my better judgement, I watched the rest of it in the morning. Then I promptly deleted my season pass.

It's a bunch of brainless violence with a little insipid dialog sprinkled in between. If I want to watch sword fighting I'll put on an Errol Flynn movie.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I thought this was going to be a grand adventure. If it's going to devolve into an episode of Power Rangers each week, I'm not gonna stick with it.

BTW, if they've had the means to turn the power back on for 15 years, WTH are they waiting for?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Overall, I liked this episode. I'm willing to give it some time.

But, I do have a couple of technical issues with the show:

1) Everyone has a purple lower lip. Enough with the lip makeup!

2) The opening clearly shows a shot of St. Louis with a chunk blasted out of the top of the arch. Now, that's physically impossible. When they were building the arch, they had to temporarily cross connect the two sides when they got about 2/3 of the way up with construction, because the foundations could not support the sideways forces that would exist until the tops were connected. After the arch was topped out, they removed the temporary cross connect. There's no way the arch could still be standing as shown in the opening. Another time they ignore the laws of physics.

Dave
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
There's no way the arch could still be standing as shown in the opening. Another time they ignore the laws of physics.
See? Another example of how brilliant the writing is on this show!

They keep giving us subtle clues that the laws of physics have been rewritten!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Finally watched it...thought it dragged a bit. But I'm sticking with it....for now.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Not to mention at least make it less conspicuous! I mean if there is one door in a house with 10 friggin locks on it, then yeah, I'd be thinkin' "What's behind THIS door lady!!??"
I haven't seen the second episode yet, but in the first episode, she unlocks all four or five locks, then open the heavy door on creacky hinges and goes up the stairs, but never closes the door. If you are wanting to protect what's up there, at least close and lock the door behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I thought this was going to be a grand adventure. If it's going to devolve into an episode of Power Rangers each week, I'm not gonna stick with it.
There have only been two episodes, give it a chance. It isn't clear what it will DEVOLVE into yet.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #23
andyw715

I'm only watching to spot the locally shot scenes.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
I'm only watching to spot the locally shot scenes.
You live in the future?
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
dcheesi
...I'm not.

Yeah, not as many eye-rolls on this ep, but still not the greatest.

I think the thing with Charlie and not-Nate is meant to evoke the Hunger Games mystique, but it ain't working for me. The rest of the time they want to be The Postman with a bit of Lost thrown in.

One thing I don't buy is the tattoo reveal on Nora. You're honestly going to tell me that those militia men took such an attractive (and inexplicably clean) young woman into their custody with out at least "searching" her a little? Heck, just the normal shifting of her tank top should have revealed enough of the tat to be noticed, given the position of it.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #26
mattack

I know this is a weird thing to have a reaction to, but I started playing the 2nd episode and didn't immediately FF into the guts of the episode…

The little synopsis of the show that they put at the beginning is probably the best I've ever seen. It was concise and told you everything you needed to know about the show! (Plus, I didn't recognize all of the footage.) I mean what they showed BEFORE the "previously on" segment.

I must have totally zoned out.. I noticed C Thomas Howell in the credits, but never noticed him in the episode. (I see above someone said he was killed early.)

Last edited by mattack : 09-25-2012 at 11:10 PM.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #27
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The little synopsis of the show that they put at the beginning is probably the best I've ever seen. It was concise and told you everything you needed to know about the show!
I agree. I thought it was well done.

Dave
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

They must live in a circular country.

The kid runs away and ends up on power lady's farm.

Charlie and Google Guy have to get there but it way over in Indiana. Another long trek & quest.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #29
TheDewAddict
No Mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
2) The opening clearly shows a shot of St. Louis with a chunk blasted out of the top of the arch. Now, that's physically impossible. When they were building the arch, they had to temporarily cross connect the two sides when they got about 2/3 of the way up with construction, because the foundations could not support the sideways forces that would exist until the tops were connected. After the arch was topped out, they removed the temporary cross connect. There's no way the arch could still be standing as shown in the opening. Another time they ignore the laws of physics.

Dave
I know what you mean. I'm from STL so I'm happy to see it on TV, but every time they show that shot, I just get pissed for the reasons you mentioned above.

Not to mention that everyone has perfect hair, even after waking up in the morning in the middle of the forest.
TheDewAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
StacieH
betativowho??

I just LOLd at the previous comment about C. Thomas Howell. I recognized him instantly and pointed him out. My husband didn't know who he was until I mentioned a couple of 80s movies.

I did notice that Howell was dead by the time his name came up in credits.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote