TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Neil 420

Is my Tivo dying?

I have had TV reception problems. The signal flickers on and off and I sometimes get the message, "searching for signal..." DirecTV sent a tech out here and he changed the LNB and the multi-switch. That helped a little, but the signal strength shows only 70-80% on satellite 2. The tech then swapped out the cables feeding tuner 1 and tuner 2 on my original DirecTivo box. It still showed the weak signal on satellite 2. The tech told me that means the problem is my tuner. Does that sound right?
Neil 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Do you have one of the non-RID series 2 combo units like the Hughes HDVR2 or Philips DSR7000 (there was an RCA model too, I think)? They all have a well known problem where tuner #2 fails over time. This is one thread about it here.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Neil 420

I got this Tivo when they first enabled the two tuner feature, so it must be the series 1. It's made by Philips, DSR6000.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
Neil 420

Thanks for the link. It looks like the experts here approve the troubleshooting method that my tech used. So, my Tivo indeed appears to be dying. Now, I have to decide whether to get new hardware that commits me to two years of DirecTV, or go with Uverse or Atlantic Broadband.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
tomc585

When mine was failing I just used it as a single tuner DVR. I disabled the failing tuner because it was annoying to see that message pop up all the time.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Neil 420

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. I might keep this Tivo as an extra dvr, if I stay with DirecTV. That way, I can keep my lifetime subscription in case Tivo ever creates anything compelling again on DirecTV. I have to decide if it's worth the $7/mo, or whatever DirecTV charges for service to another box.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

FWIW, your lifetime DirecTV DVR sub is tied to your account, not a specific piece of hardware.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
jporter12
TiVo changed my life

I'm in the same boat, and then some! The Directivo that I watch the most is experiencing the failing tuner. I have another identical model sitting around that I swiped the power supply from a while back, so I can activate that one in it's place, after swapping parts around.

The bigger part of my problem is the other directivo that I have has power supply issues, I think. The power supply that's in it came from the spare unit. Before putting this power supply in it, the thing wouldn't even spin up the hard drive. I had changed the power supply before because whichever one I took it for, would not get past "welcome, powering up." Tonight I bought a new TV, and in the rearranging I had to power down the unit. When I powered it up it would not spin up the hard drive. I tried a couple other drives, and just moved parts back and forth between the 2 and finally ended up with the power supply that got stuck at "Welcome" in this unit. I can watch recorded shows, but the tuners will not detect a signal.

I'm debating finding another power supply, or replacing the whole mess with something else. I'm dealing with 10+ year old technology, and they WILL start failing.
SIR 4040,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 300 GB drive Linksys USB200M Ver.2
jporter12 is offline   Reply With Quote