TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
gwar11d2

Tivo Locking up

Hello,

Just got two brand new Premiere units. Been about 5 years since I've had tivo. Glad I'm back!

I completed the guided setup on both. One functions perfectly, one is unusable. In my troubleshooting steps, I left the Coax off of the tivo and it runs just fine...but of course, without cable I can't use it.

When I plug the cable back in, restart, it gets all the way to the menus. I can see video coming from the channel it's tuned to, but menus are so slow that I can't scroll back and fourth...

I've tried moving it downstairs to the cable outlet that does work on the other Tivo and the same thing happens.

Any other troubleshooting do you think I should do? Or call support....
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
lpwcomp

HD menus or SD? Cable or OTA? CableCARD no CableCARD? TA or no TA? Paired or unpaired? What kind of network connection? What cable system (if any)?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
Hello,

Just got two brand new Premiere units. Been about 5 years since I've had tivo. Glad I'm back!

I completed the guided setup on both. One functions perfectly, one is unusable. In my troubleshooting steps, I left the Coax off of the tivo and it runs just fine...but of course, without cable I can't use it.

When I plug the cable back in, restart, it gets all the way to the menus. I can see video coming from the channel it's tuned to, but menus are so slow that I can't scroll back and fourth...

I've tried moving it downstairs to the cable outlet that does work on the other Tivo and the same thing happens.

It sounds like some kind of signal problem. But you could make sure that the coax cable feeding the TiVo passes through a grounding block that bonds the shield to the same ground to which your electical service is attached.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
JKay

All I can say is that I just got Premiere XL4 and it has locked up on me several times. Usually when I am in search mode looking for shows to record it just locks up and nothing on the remote works. After about a minute or two the TiVo comes back to life and starts working again.

Plus the 30 second skip feature (using the code) and the 8 second replay feature are very sluggish.
Series 3, 131 hrs.HD (WD Green 1TB)
SVR2000, 160 hrs.
JKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

First, look for it to connect a few times to make sure it is updated to the most recent software. Then, chach back in if you still have issues.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
gwar11d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
HD menus or SD? Cable or OTA? CableCARD no CableCARD? TA or no TA? Paired or unpaired? What kind of network connection? What cable system (if any)?
Both HD and SD menus (although SD menus are a little bit better). Cable w/ No cablecard (SD only with HD locals), Network is wired. Time Warner.

One of the boxes I have (same one) works fine. I've tested it both upstairs and down and it works the same. I did the same thing with the non-functional unit and the behavior passes both ways.

I was also thinking it was a signal problem but since the behavior follows no matter which cable jack I plug it into...I don't think that is the case.

I've also tried clearing everything and re-doing the guided setup... All updates have been applied as well. I'm expecting something wierd, maybe w/ the hard drive but still trying a few things.

About to call Tivo to see what they say...
Old 09-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
About to call Tivo to see what they say...
That's what I would do. Tell them everything you've done.
Clearly sounds like you got a defective unit.

Wait...

Have you subscribed them yet, or are you using the initial 7 day free trial?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
gwar11d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
That's what I would do. Tell them everything you've done.
Clearly sounds like you got a defective unit.

Wait...

Have you subscribed them yet, or are you using the initial 7 day free trial?
Yep, both subscribed...
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
shamilian

Quote:
Hello,

I think you have a disk issue. When you plug in the coax it tries to write the video buffer, with no coax it is not trying to record the video buffer.
(the theory is that disk is accessing bad sectors which is greatly hurting the performance of the unit)

If you want to try and fix yourself i suggest trying a kickstart 54 then kickstart 57. (http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php)

Otherwise call and get a new unit.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
gwar11d2

Yep, spoke w/ TiVo CS. They are sending a replacement to me
Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Hello,

Been about 5 years since I've had tivo.
What happened to your old TiVo?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
gwar11d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What happened to your old TiVo?
It was a directtv tivo...when I had direct tv. Old series 2 box.

I missed it... was running myth-tv for a while and those boxes gave out on me.

Wife was also frustrated when I did kernel updates taking out the ability to watch TV for a day or so til I figured it out.

So....enter Tivo Premiere and the good deal I got on them