TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
jilted

Thinking about upgrading to the Premiere Elite

Considering upgrading from my TivoHD to a Premiere elite and have a few questions.

Can anyone verify if Charter does digital simulcast in south Louisiana? If not would that be something Charter support would have a clue about? I was never able to successfully tune "the low channels (2-99)" with my Ceton TV Tuner card if that helps.

Would I need to keep service on my TivoHD or can it be set up to pull shows from the Elite?

I don't use the OTA feature so that's not a concern. I wanted more tuners so I bought a Ceton card but never could get it to work like I wanted it to. Now that Tivo has a 4 tuner option I want to jump on it but I want to make sure I don't have the same issue as with my HTPC.

Thanks!
jilted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilted View Post
Would I need to keep service on my TivoHD or can it be set up to pull shows from the Elite?
The TivoHD can be set up to pull shows from the Elite, but you would have to keep service on it.
No networking features without the TiVo service subscription.

I'm OTA only, so I can't answer your cable question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilted View Post
Considering upgrading from my TivoHD to a Premiere elite and have a few questions.

Can anyone verify if Charter does digital simulcast in south Louisiana? If not would that be something Charter support would have a clue about? I was never able to successfully tune "the low channels (2-99)" with my Ceton TV Tuner card if that helps.

I don't use the OTA feature so that's not a concern. I wanted more tuners so I bought a Ceton card but never could get it to work like I wanted it to. Now that Tivo has a 4 tuner option I want to jump on it but I want to make sure I don't have the same issue as with my HTPC.

Thanks!
If you could never tune the 2-99 channels then maybe that is a clue about digital simulcast. Maybe they are only analog which is the reason you could not tune them? I know with my brother and Comcast, with the cable card the digital versions of those analog channels will show up. But if there is no digital version then there is nothing to tune in.

I have FiOS which doesn't have any analog channels.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
WVZR1

I would think you could answer your question here:

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

The results for my zip-code are "spot-on" and before I had a cable-card I used my TiVo S3, HD and both Premieres as QAB tuners and did manual only recording. They finally OK'd cable-cards for basic cable and I've cable-cards in both Premieres now.

The TiVo S3, HD and Premieres all do very well as QAM tuners.

Once you have the QAM results you could try them on your Ceton also.
WVZR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
jilted

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I would think you could answer your question here:

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

The results for my zip-code are "spot-on" and before I had a cable-card I used my TiVo S3, HD and both Premieres as QAB tuners and did manual only recording. They finally OK'd cable-cards for basic cable and I've cable-cards in both Premieres now.

The TiVo S3, HD and Premieres all do very well as QAM tuners.

Once you have the QAM results you could try them on your Ceton also.

Thanks for the input and I hate to sound like a total newb but I really have no idea what to do with this information haha.

I'm just not familiar with TV signals and such. I can hack a tivo and stuff like that though :-) I turned my tivoHD into an XL heh

What can you tell me from this information? http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...454#sidebyside

Thanks!
-stephen
jilted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
WVZR1

Is your Ceton Card a digital (QAM) card? Are you a Charter subsriber? If your card is QAM capable you should be able to tune likely some of the QAM on either your HTPC or using your TiVo as a digital tuner you might likely be able to tune some of the QAM that aren't encrypted. You will need to tune the channels manually I believe.

It's been quite some time since I used strictly QAM and manually tuned channels.
WVZR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
hasservision
TiVo Tinkerer

I'm thinking of getting a new Premiere , upgrading from a Series 2DT, but I only have a 4x3 analog tv and no digital cable converter. Is it going to be worth my time/money to upgrade?
hasservision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasservision View Post
I'm thinking of getting a new Premiere , upgrading from a Series 2DT, but I only have a 4x3 analog tv and no digital cable converter. Is it going to be worth my time/money to upgrade?
A Premiere will let you hook up an antenna and get the digital over the air channels that the TCD649xxx cannot, and it'll let you use a cable card to get digital cable channels, but a good used S3 (TCD648250) or S3 HD (TCD652160) or HDXL (TCD658000) will also do that for less money per month, and perhaps a lower initial purchase price.

I leave it to others to opine as to whether the Premiere offers other features the S3 doesn't that would make it worth the extra expense, but I will point out that if you've had that S2 subscribed at least 3 years, getting a Premiere might, maybe get them to offer you lifetime on the S2 for $99 if you call to cancel it after getting the Premiere established on your account. No guarantees, but there are a couple of threads around here about the $99 lifetime deal.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
hasservision
TiVo Tinkerer

Oh wow! Good to know! I bought a refurbished premiere late last year. Love it, but I've kept my S2 active to receive the MSD... which probably is more expensive in the long run. But now that I know about the $99 thing, I might call to cancel the S2 soon and cash in on the $99 lifetime deal. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Oh wow! Good to know! I bought a refurbished premiere late last year. Love it, but I've kept my S2 active to receive the MSD... which probably is more expensive in the long run. But now that I know about the $99 thing, I might call to cancel the S2 soon and cash in on the $99 lifetime deal. Thanks!
Don't call to cancel.

Call to threaten to cancel.

Make noises about liking the old TiVo just fine, but since you're paying for a sub on the new one, you're not happy about paying on the old one as well since it's now a "spare" machine.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
hasservision
TiVo Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Don't call to cancel.

Call to threaten to cancel.

Make noises about liking the old TiVo just fine, but since you're paying for a sub on the new one, you're not happy about paying on the old one as well since it's now a "spare" machine.
Ahh.. even better to know! Thanks!
Of course, i guess if I'm going to pay for lifetime service for the s2 I should get it working again! The HD crashed on me.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Ahh.. even better to know! Thanks!
Of course, i guess if I'm going to pay for lifetime service for the s2 I should get it working again! The HD crashed on me.
What model S2?