TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
cciampaglia

Software Issue?

Hi All,

My TiVo HD keeps on rebooting during startup. It looks like it completes the startup but right as the main menu (if I skip the video) appears (even before the background loads), it reboots. I have tried the following:

1) Unplugging the Tuning Adapter: instead of the menu, I see the error message indicating the missing tuning adapter for a moment before it reboots again.
2) Unplugging the cable card: instead of the menu, I see the error message indicating the missing cable card before it reboots again.
3) Removed the HD and checked it for errors in SpinRight: No errors found
4) Removed the HD and tried WinMFS's Fix Bootpage Option 1 and 2 (separately tested after each fix): no change

Note: For the past month or so, I have been receiving S03 error messages and had to leave my TiVo unplugged from the Tuning Adapter for several days to temporarily resolve. A couple of weeks after that, the S03 error messages reappeared. A couple of weeks after that, this reboot problem started.

How should I troubleshoot this error? I own another TiVo HD (without any issues). Should I switch the HDs and see if the "broken" one works? Will this mess up the good HD? I am pretty technically savvy so if there is a manual fix involving linux commands, I am very comfortable. For example, could I copy a partition or two from the good HD to the broken one? Is there a log I can examine?

Thanks for all your help and attention to this matter. I am getting quite frustrated!

Caleb
cciampaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
dwit

With the working hard drive, you have close to the perfect thing to troubleshoot your issues.

Install the working drive into the suspect Tivo and see if it boots up. If it boots up, there is your answer. You don't really want to proceed much further than just booting up though. If you do, you will get "hardware error" warnings, which occurs when using another drive from an identical Tivo. "Clear and Delete Everything" must be done in this case, if you really want to use the foreign drive. This basically wipes everything off the drive and restores it to the new, out of the box state. You will have to repeat guided set up and have your cable card "re-paired" by the cable company.

Another thing you could try, if you have a spare 160 gb or larger hard drive, is just to use the Winmfs program to copy the software image from the working drive, and "restore" it to the spare drive.

When you open up your Tivo, check the power supply capacitors, and make sure the fan is spinning when the unit is powered on.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciampaglia View Post
Hi All,

My TiVo HD keeps on rebooting during startup. It looks like it completes the startup but right as the main menu (if I skip the video) appears (even before the background loads), it reboots. I have tried the following:

1) Unplugging the Tuning Adapter: instead of the menu, I see the error message indicating the missing tuning adapter for a moment before it reboots again.
2) Unplugging the cable card: instead of the menu, I see the error message indicating the missing cable card before it reboots again.
3) Removed the HD and checked it for errors in SpinRight: No errors found
4) Removed the HD and tried WinMFS's Fix Bootpage Option 1 and 2 (separately tested after each fix): no change

Note: For the past month or so, I have been receiving S03 error messages and had to leave my TiVo unplugged from the Tuning Adapter for several days to temporarily resolve. A couple of weeks after that, the S03 error messages reappeared. A couple of weeks after that, this reboot problem started.

How should I troubleshoot this error? I own another TiVo HD (without any issues). Should I switch the HDs and see if the "broken" one works? Will this mess up the good HD? I am pretty technically savvy so if there is a manual fix involving linux commands, I am very comfortable. For example, could I copy a partition or two from the good HD to the broken one? Is there a log I can examine?

Thanks for all your help and attention to this matter. I am getting quite frustrated!

Caleb
I would not risk putting the drive from the "good" TiVo into the "bad" one.

Especially if there are any recordings on it you do not want to lose.

Are there recordings on the "bad" TiVo's hard drive you want to save?

Suggest you test that drive with WD's own diagnostics.

While it's out, check the power supply's capacitors for any signs of leakage or bulging.

(the white stuff that looks like marshmellow creme, only shinier, is not leakage, it's "hold stuff in place while it gets soldered" glue)

Even if there's nothing visibly wrong with the power supply I'd still swap in the other one temporarily (there's a little hard to see screw that goes in from the outside right above the AC jack) to see if it makes a difference.

That's the only part I'd swap between the units for now, and I'm assuming both are model TCD652160.

Do you have another hard drive 160GB or larger lying around that could be used temporarily for test purposes?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
dwit

PS:

After further thought, the very first thing you probably should do is make a "backup" of the Tivo software image from the working hard drive. This will result in a small file that can be safely stored away on your computer hard drive, etc. With this "back up", whenever it may become necessary, you can make a new Tivo HD hard drive from any appropriate hard drive(160 GB capacity or greater, etc).

You have probably come across how to do this using the winmfs program.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
cciampaglia

Thanks a lot, dwit and unitron.

I am resistant to putting the good HD into the bad TiVo unless it is not likely to cause a problem. I am not very concerned about keeping the shows on the good one (mostly kids stuff), but I would like to keep them from the bad TiVo (wife's shows), if possible.

I did not see any bulging or stuff coming out of them (not even white stuff) around the capacitors. They all seemed fully intact to me. I also noticed that the fan is running all the time during boot.

I will take your suggestions and do this tonight: 1) Backup HDs, 2) Swap power supplies, 3) Try to find a replacement HD I can use for testing.

Any other thoughts? Can you think of any other diagnostics I can perform to clarify the situation? Could the S03 errors be tied to this problem?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Thanks a lot, dwit and unitron.

I am resistant to putting the good HD into the bad TiVo unless it is not likely to cause a problem. I am not very concerned about keeping the shows on the good one (mostly kids stuff), but I would like to keep them from the bad TiVo (wife's shows), if possible.

I did not see any bulging or stuff coming out of them (not even white stuff) around the capacitors. They all seemed fully intact to me. I also noticed that the fan is running all the time during boot.

I will take your suggestions and do this tonight: 1) Backup HDs, 2) Swap power supplies, 3) Try to find a replacement HD I can use for testing.

Any other thoughts? Can you think of any other diagnostics I can perform to clarify the situation? Could the S03 errors be tied to this problem?
If you can ever get it to boot far enough, do a clear program info and to do list

http://texasblindjack.com/2010/10/20...rom-your-tivo/

Here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301

are S3 HD images

Put one on a drive 160GB or bigger, it'll start out in Guided Setup.

Do the minimum, don't tell it you have cable, just OTA.

That way you can test without cable cards and tuning adapters adding variables.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
cciampaglia

Hi Again,

Sorry it took me so long to try swapping the power supplies. I did so just now and it did not work. There was no change at all. The power supplies look different between them and checking the model numbers, the working TiVo has a later revision (B2) while the non-working one does not show a revision.

Any other ideas? I am trying to locate an old HD of 160GB+ to try out just the SW image. I should note that it seems to take a while to start up (around 7-10 minutes), before it shows the first message and reboots (after 1-2 seconds).

We would really like to save some shows. Is there a way I can copy them of the HD? Same for the season passes? I am thinking that it may be a good idea to start with a fresh software image rather than copy it from the old HD (without the media).

Thanks again for all your help!

Caleb
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Hi Again,

Sorry it took me so long to try swapping the power supplies. I did so just now and it did not work. There was no change at all. The power supplies look different between them and checking the model numbers, the working TiVo has a later revision (B2) while the non-working one does not show a revision.

Any other ideas? I am trying to locate an old HD of 160GB+ to try out just the SW image. I should note that it seems to take a while to start up (around 7-10 minutes), before it shows the first message and reboots (after 1-2 seconds).

We would really like to save some shows. Is there a way I can copy them of the HD? Same for the season passes? I am thinking that it may be a good idea to start with a fresh software image rather than copy it from the old HD (without the media).

Thanks again for all your help!

Caleb
See if the "good" TiVo works properly with the power supply from the "bad" TiVo installed.

If it does, we can cross power supply off of the checklist.

You're going to need, at least temporarily, another hard drive of at least 160GB, but if you find something check back in before spending any actual money, 'cause it might be most cost effective to get a 1 or 2TB drive. If the "bad" TiVo can't be fixed or saved, you could always use it for more space on the "good" TiVo.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
algh

I am having problem with the search option on my premiere. when I search something, it does not display anything for me on the screen. Once in a while it works but it is random. I am able to use the other features of the youtube app like the featured videos and stream them with no problem. I only have problem with the search option itself and if it displays the desired video, I can play it with no problem. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or it is just me?
algh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by algh View Post
I am having problem with the search option on my premiere. when I search something, it does not display anything for me on the screen. Once in a while it works but it is random. I am able to use the other features of the youtube app like the featured videos and stream them with no problem. I only have problem with the search option itself and if it displays the desired video, I can play it with no problem. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or it is just me?
Suggest you post your problem in it's own thread where it's more likely to get noticed instead of tagging it on to the end of this thread.

You can remain within the Help Forum, or put it in the Premiere Forum.