TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Suggestions on new American Idol judge(s)

Since they still seem to be taking their time coming up with judges for the next season of American Idol, I'm wondering who the crowd here at TCF would suggest would make good judges for the show?

yeah, yeah, I know, who cares? The show is aging quickly, and losing its relevance, but depending on the judge(s) that are cast, it might regain a little steam, so who would you all suggest?

-

My own suggestion, given a rumor that country artists Brad Paisley and Toby Keith were both apparently under consideration (depending on whom you believe/read), would be another country artist - one that got in some trouble recently for having negative comments about how these sorts of reality shows seem to have cheapened the business and/or left behind artists that had gone through the grind while others surged ahead based on their participation in these shows - Eric Church. I figure he's outspoken enough to call a bad performance bad (if he even settled for that word, as he's more likely to call it crap, or something far worse )

Not that I personally have been watching Idol lately, but I might tune in for a while if a decent judge is picked, as it might rejuvenate the show a bit.

I know I would definitely not be interested in seeing someone like one of the Jonas Brothers doing the job. I'd much prefer someone that had been in the industry for a while, as well as preferring someone that would speak the harsh truth. Something tells me that the Jonas types would never be that mean or controversial.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
Since they still seem to be taking their time coming up with judges for the next season of American Idol, I'm wondering who the crowd here at TCF would suggest would make good judges for the show?
Do they have much time? The first round of auditions is already over; when does the final round of callbacks (where they sing in front of the judges) start?

Then again, they may have to hold off on even the second round of auditions until after Nigel Lythgoe is done with So You Think You Can Dance? in mid-September.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:

yeah, yeah, I know, who cares? The show is aging quickly, and losing its relevance, but depending on the judge(s) that are cast, it might regain a little steam, so who would you all suggest?

-

My own suggestion, given a rumor that country artists Brad Paisley and Toby Keith were both apparently under consideration (depending on whom you believe/read), would be another country artist - one that got in some trouble recently for having negative comments about how these sorts of reality shows seem to have cheapened the business and/or left behind artists that had gone through the grind while others surged ahead based on their participation in these shows - Eric Church. I figure he's outspoken enough to call a bad performance bad (if he even settled for that word, as he's more likely to call it crap, or something far worse )

Not that I personally have been watching Idol lately, but I might tune in for a while if a decent judge is picked, as it might rejuvenate the show a bit.

I know I would definitely not be interested in seeing someone like one of the Jonas Brothers doing the job. I'd much prefer someone that had been in the industry for a while, as well as preferring someone that would speak the harsh truth. Something tells me that the Jonas types would never be that mean or controversial.

This.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Sadara
huh?

I would be happy with any Country Artist as a judge. But, I will admit that one who has the brass to be brutally honest would be much more fun to watch. I love Eric Church, he's an awesome artist, I would be good with him doing it. But, I bet they couldn't get him to.

Brad Paisley might be too nice honestly. He's a fan of American Idol and I don't know why, but that does make me think he'd be too nice.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Did they hire Mariah Carey? ugh...
Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Do they have much time? The first round of auditions is already over; when does the final round of callbacks (where they sing in front of the judges) start?

Then again, they may have to hold off on even the second round of auditions until after Nigel Lythgoe is done with So You Think You Can Dance? in mid-September.
I don't think there is any hurry. They could film the callback episodes in October/November and then have Hollywood week in January, while the audition eps are being shown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Did they hire Mariah Carey? ugh...
Yes, they announced her at the recent Television Critics Association summer press tour. So now they just need to hire one more to join Randy and Mariah (assuming they want to stick with three rather than go back to four).

I think a country artist would be a good choice, but I think it would have to be a big name to draw in those that aren't necessarily country fans. I've never heard of Eric Church, so I don't think he'd fit the bill. Brad Paisley, on the other hand, would be an excellent choice.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
rifleman69

Is cancel the show an option?
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Is cancel the show an option?
If you were a FOX executive and this show had propelled your network to the #1 or #2 spot for the last ten years, would you be eager to see it end?

In other words, the answer is "NO."
Old 08-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
If you were a FOX executive and this show had propelled your network to the #1 or #2 spot for the last ten years, would you be eager to see it end?

In other words, the answer is "NO."
"NO" is correct, but not so much out of loyalty (otherwise, why cancel America's Most Wanted?); it's a combination of Idol (a) still having better ratings than anything else Fox would show in the fall, except for NFL overruns that count in prime time ratings and possibly World Series games (yes, Idol gets better ratings than Glee and New Girl), and (b) being one of the top ten TV shows in terms of how much revenue it generates between commercials and merchandise.

No, the ratings "aren't as high as they used to be," but considering what else is on TV, they don't need to be.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
"NO" is correct, but not so much out of loyalty (otherwise, why cancel America's Most Wanted?);

<snip>
I said nothing about loyalty. The reason America's Most Wanted was canceled was because it clearly wasn't a good business decision to keep it on anymore. Likewise, it is a good business decision to keep American Idol on the air. Even with its recent ratings slump, It's still the highest-rated primetime show on FOX.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I don't think there is any hurry. They could film the callback episodes in October/November and then have Hollywood week in January, while the audition eps are being shown.

Yes, they announced her at the recent Television Critics Association summer press tour. So now they just need to hire one more to join Randy and Mariah (assuming they want to stick with three rather than go back to four).

I think a country artist would be a good choice, but I think it would have to be a big name to draw in those that aren't necessarily country fans. I've never heard of Eric Church, so I don't think he'd fit the bill. Brad Paisley, on the other hand, would be an excellent choice.
You may never have heard of Eric Church, but he is well enough known, especially given his comments to Rolling Stone that inspired a small feud with Blake Shelton (Judge/Mentor on "The Voice") and Mrs. Shelton: Miranda Lambert.

See, for more info: Eric Church feuds with Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton.

Of note there though is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
He then went on to say, ďIf I was concerned about my legacy, thereís no way I would ever sit there (and be a reality-show judge). Once your career becomes something other than the music, then thatís what it is. Iíll never make that mistake. I donít care if I starve.Ē
That doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't do the show as a judge, or that he'd be back tracking on what he meant to say, or what he did say.

He did go back and apologize for how his words were taken by Lambert (not sure that he really apologized to Shelton, or that he needed to given his "clarification" of his statement).

Regardless, he is someone that doesn't hold back on his thoughts and is an up-and-coming country artist, though he has a long history of toiling in the industry, hence his thoughts that (basically) he has more respect for the people that have done their dues.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'm not saying Church isn't a popular artist. But American Idol is a show that has to capture a broad spectrum of viewers with just 2-3 people. They have to have judges that are immediately recognizeable by well over 50% of the average American viewers, regardless of age, income, sex, location, or music preference. Thus, I think that if they decide to go after a country artist, they'll have to get someone who is well known to everyone.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
aindik

Quote:
"NO" is correct, but not so much out of loyalty (otherwise, why cancel America's Most Wanted?); it's a combination of Idol (a) still having better ratings than anything else Fox would show in the fall, except for NFL overruns that count in prime time ratings and possibly World Series games (yes, Idol gets better ratings than Glee and New Girl), and (b) being one of the top ten TV shows in terms of how much revenue it generates between commercials and merchandise.

No, the ratings "aren't as high as they used to be," but considering what else is on TV, they don't need to be.
Not to mention the value it provides to the producers in terms of records sold, both during the season (on iTunes every week) and after it ends, and in concert tickets.

Push comes to shove, if Fox is still willing to air it, on the condition that it not pay nearly as much to the producers for the rights as it had been paying, the producers might go for that considering all the ancillary sources of revenue.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'm not saying Church isn't a popular artist. But American Idol is a show that has to capture a broad spectrum of viewers with just 2-3 people. They have to have judges that are immediately recognizeable by well over 50% of the average American viewers, regardless of age, income, sex, location, or music preference. Thus, I think that if they decide to go after a country artist, they'll have to get someone who is well known to everyone.
How recognizable were Cowell or Jackson when the show premiered?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
How recognizable were Cowell or Jackson when the show premiered?
Agreed. But nobody had any expectations of the show back then, so having unknowns wasn't an issue. But now, the news about who is the new Idol judge is one of the top stories on the news, and many fans decide to watch or not based on the judges rather than on the singing talent. So while Fox could launch the show with unknown judges in 2001, there's no way they could get away with putting unknowns on the show today, especially given the celebrity judging talent on all the other clone shows.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I think having a pop artist (Carey) is a good start.

I do think a country artist would be ideal... I'd say Shania Twain, since she straddles (or straddled... not sure if she's still recording or not, haven't heard from her in ages) the line between pop and country. Alternately, Jennifer Nettles would also work, although she might now be in a non-compete from her time with ABC's "Duets."

I would say a third judge should be someone in the recording industry... preferably either a top flight record producer, or an A&R guy... someone who knows how to give advice to make a good artist sound great. This one, I don't think has to be particularly well known, although I'm thinking if they could get Ryan Tedder, that would be perfect, since he has both producer and recording artist creds.

And yes, I would say ditch Randy as well. After this many years, it's time to clean house.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
aindik

A white guy who plays a guitar wins every year now. Might as well have 3 of them judging.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'd be happy with them ditching Randy. I've thought he was worthless since the very beginning. But he's the only continuity left. If they got rid of him and started with three brand new judges this season, that would basically almost be a new show, and might give more viewers reason to just tune out.

Supposedly, they've asked Jimmy Iovine to be a judge multiple times, but he's smart in that he doesn't put himself in a situation where he has to judge the live performances in the theater with screaming fans, bad acoustics, etc. He puts himself in a position where he can listen to the contestants as they rehearse, evaluate what he heard, and provide feedback that doesn't have to be on the spot. That's much more valuable for the contestants, although it doesn't make for better TV.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Charlie Sheen.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
(yes, Idol gets better ratings than Glee and New Girl)
That's funny, because it preemptively answered a question I had in the back of my mind (at least about Glee).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Cainebj

i'm gonna guess they will go with adam glambert.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's funny, because it preemptively answered a question I had in the back of my mind (at least about Glee).
Actually, Glee's ratings dropped pretty drastically last season, probably even more on a percentage basis than Idol's did.

I read that at Comic-Con they moved the Glee panel from one of the largest halls to a much smaller one, and some were predicting that would turn out to be a bad idea. But when the panel actually happened, the smaller room didn't even fill up.

Basically, the bloom is definitely off the Glee rose.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
I'd be happy with them ditching Randy. I've thought he was worthless since the very beginning. But he's the only continuity left. If they got rid of him and started with three brand new judges this season, that would basically almost be a new show, and might give more viewers reason to just tune out.

Supposedly, they've asked Jimmy Iovine to be a judge multiple times, but he's smart in that he doesn't put himself in a situation where he has to judge the live performances in the theater with screaming fans, bad acoustics, etc. He puts himself in a position where he can listen to the contestants as they rehearse, evaluate what he heard, and provide feedback that doesn't have to be on the spot. That's much more valuable for the contestants, although it doesn't make for better TV.
I thought Simon was great because he was funny and also because having him there was like taking little Susie, the hometown kid who is always told by her friends/family that she could be a star, and plopping her in front of a studio exec who is going to listen to her for 20 seconds and then be brutally honest with her. To me, that is what made Idol a big deal. Jimmy brought back a little of that. He's brutally honest but not as funny as Simon and having him do it after the fact takes away from the impact.

I think Idol needs someone like that. If they go with some boyband type, then I think the show is done for. There's too much competition now, where there used to be none. I think Idol was on the right track with Kara, but picked the wrong person. A female version of Simon would be interesting. I don't see Mariah filling that role.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I thought Simon was great because he was funny and also because having him there was like taking little Susie, the hometown kid who is always told by her friends/family that she could be a star, and plopping her in front of a studio exec who is going to listen to her for 20 seconds and then be brutally honest with her. To me, that is what made Idol a big deal. Jimmy brought back a little of that. He's brutally honest but not as funny as Simon and having him do it after the fact takes away from the impact.

I think Idol needs someone like that. If they go with some boyband type, then I think the show is done for. There's too much competition now, where there used to be none. I think Idol was on the right track with Kara, but picked the wrong person. A female version of Simon would be interesting. I don't see Mariah filling that role.
I see Mariah filling the bat-**** crazy trainwreck role previously held by Paula Abdul. They still need to find the brutally honest yet extremely knowledgable person to fill the Simon role. That's been lacking since he left, and he'd actually toned it down a little in the couple seasons before he left.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'd love to see Trace Adkins, but I don't think he'd be mean enough (Simon-esque) to make it worthwhile.

And yes, please get rid of Randy while you're at it!!!!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
aindik

Quote:
I see Mariah filling the bat-**** crazy trainwreck role previously held by Paula Abdul. They still need to find the brutally honest yet extremely knowledgable person to fill the Simon role. That's been lacking since he left, and he'd actually toned it down a little in the couple seasons before he left.
We should not lump Mariah Carey in with Paula Abdul just because both are crazy. Unlike Paula, Mariah is one of the best singers of her generation.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
We should not lump Mariah Carey in with Paula Abdul just because both are crazy. Unlike Paula, Mariah is one of the best singers of her generation.
Yes, Mariah has an amazing voice. But just like some great athletes aren't able to coach, because they can't relate to someone that doesn't have their physical abilities, it's not an automatic slam dunk that Mariah would be a good judge or be able to provide valuable feedback just because she's able to sing. But the fact that she's crazy is likely to provide some interesting TV. I think the producers are almost more interested in the latter than they are in the former.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #28
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I think Mariah will be more like Christina on The Voice. Paula didn't really own up to being a singer because she knew she wasn't a great singer.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
What I had read somewhere initially was that Idol was supposed to be pushing Randy Jackson into a "mentors" role, replacing him with another Judge as well as replacing J.Lo and Tyler with new judges. In the interim they apparently have backtracked a little and are possibly going to have to keep Randy Jackson in the judges seat and simply find a replacement for Tyler.

As suggested above though, they need someone that would be more like Simon - that brutally honest judge that tells the would be stars very bluntly that they'll never be a star, or that they just aren't good enough, etc. They haven't had that since Simon Cowell left, and really not that much with him in the last few seasons as they apparently got him toned down and less mean. I think that was a mistake where some focus groups must have suggested that some viewers were turned off by Simon, which was likely true, but more people were probably watching just to see how mean he might get, as well as watching to see just how ditzy Paula was going to get on any given night.

Also as above, I think Kara could have been the right kind of person for the show, but more in a "replaces Simon" type role, rather than as a 4th wheel. Since she's been there and gone though, no reason to turn back, so they are left to try to find a judge that can be that honest (and inherently seem mean), which is not necessarily an easy thing to find as I think the people that would take the job don't want to appear mean as it could be bad for their own careers.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
mattack

Even though I've still been watching, I definitely watched *for* Simon.

(I only got into the show a couple seasons in, and for one or two seasons, I think I watched mostly just the initial auditions and barely paid attention from then on.. then I got into the show as a whole. The American Idol Rewind show was pretty good at letting me see the previous seasons, though for weird rights reasons, some episodes were basically confetti versions of the original episodes.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote