TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
msa6

First TiVo, and it's Freezing Up on Me; Defective?

Grrr! After all these years I finally got a TiVo last week (Premiere) and it's freezing up on me. I turn on the TV, and the TiVo is completely unresponsive. Nothing blinks on the front of the box when I press a remote button.

I see various threads on this. Is there a chance the box (HD) is defective? If it is, I'd like to return it to the place I bought it from for a new one while I still can. Or is this just life with a TiVo Premiere?

Thanks.
msa6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
dsnotgood

Mine never freezes. Well except maybe once or twice in a 2 year span. Switch it out.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
msa6

I chatted with support this morning, and the rep said that because I have yet to actually sign up for service (I was waiting to see if the freezing issue persisted), the unit will tend to freeze up as it seeks information that it can't access without a subscription.

Does this make sense? Is it possible that the freezes will go away if I subscribe to service?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa6 View Post
I chatted with support this morning, and the rep said that because I have yet to actually sign up for service (I was waiting to see if the freezing issue persisted), the unit will tend to freeze up as it seeks information that it can't access without a subscription.

Does this make sense? Is it possible that the freezes will go away if I subscribe to service?
They probably will go away but even if they don't TiVo will swap the unit out.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
Possibly - sign up for service and find out. You can cancel everything for the first 30 days so you are not at any risk. Once your TiVo goes through all the updates and settles down is should not freeze if it still does get it replaced.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
msa6

Thanks...I'll sign up and see what happens.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:

Yes, it makes sense, sort of. The Premiere HDUI requires an active internet connection as it has to access TiVo's servers for data.
What doesn't make sense to me is the "information that it can't access without a subscription".

It sounds like you didn't buy your Premiere from TiVo. If that is the case, TiVo has no obligation to help you until you subscribe to the TiVo service.
If you have a defective unit, your beef would be with whoever you bought it from.
Of course, if you subscribe to the service, TiVo will be more than happy to work with you.

What you could do is switch to using the SDUI (if you can get that far) and see if the freezing stops.
That might tell you whether or not your unit is defective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
msa6

Two nights ago I switched to the SD guide, and it was frozen yesterday morning. Last night I finally subscribed, and this morning it was not frozen. Guess I'll give it a few days and see what happens.

I did not buy the box from TiVo, correct.

Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Wow. Okay. If that's how the free 7 day trial works now, I don't see how that would be attractive to a potential subscriber.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
dsnotgood

Mine never froze during and after the trial...I used it for a few weeks with no sub. I don't think its defective, but might have been freaking out causing it to freeze
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
sharkster

When I replaced my old Series 2 Tivos with the Premieres, early this year, I was having some freezing up problems at first. I already had service with the previous units for over 8 years, FWIW, but it was strange that I had some freeze ups happening, with one more than the other.

After a short while it stopped.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote