TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
dprichter

Current Series 3 Owner looking to upgrade to Premiere xl 4

I currently have a Series 3 with lifetime and it is still working fine. I am interested in possibly upgrading to an XL 4 premiere. I believe I have two Multi stream cards in my series 3. If I do purchase the premiere will Comcast allow me to call and activate it in the new unit or will I have to schedule a truck roll? I live in the north suburbs of Chicago if that helps.

What are your thoughts about upgrading?

I look to these forums all the time for your knowledge and help.
dprichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You can activate it yourself by calling the Cablecard activation line, and then return the other M-card and save a buck or two a month. All you have to do is move the card after going through guided setup (and getting the software upgraded).

The XL4 is a worthy upgrade to an S3 because of the extra tuners, but IMO little else unless you do a lot of transferring. The upcoming Mini could change this completely if it works well on extra TVs with the XL4 (and is cheap enough).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
ffitzgerald39

Smile Comcast upgrade

I am also in the Chicago area and moved my cable card from a Tivo HD to a Premier XL. All channels except premium were available. I called the Comcast cable card number and read the cable card Id numbers to the tech.
He entered the data and sent the signal to the card. The premium channels were immediatly available. I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes. The Premier has preformed flawlessly. No delayed response or restarts. I have Comcast internet which runs at 20Mbps which I think is key to Premier performance. I did find that I needed to keep the Tivo wireless G adapter rather than the newer N adapter since the N adapter only had half the range of the G adapter (30' vs 60'). Even with the G adapter the transfer rate between the HD and the Premier is 22-24 Mbps. All in all happy with both Tivo and Comcast.
ffitzgerald39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
dprichter

I went out and purchased the XL4 and had no problems with Comcast reactivating the multi-stream card. So far I really like the new unit.
dprichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprichter View Post
I went out and purchased the XL4 and had no problems with Comcast reactivating the multi-stream card. So far I really like the new unit.
Now all you have to do is sell me that S3 super cheap and all will be right with the universe!

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
swarto112

i did the same, upgraded from HD to XL4 ..pair it with a Stream and its heaven. As soon as the mini rolls, Im hoping my cable boxes go bye bye

FIOS
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote