TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
jim1971

poe filter question

My cable feeds the poe filter, then a splitter.

The splitter feeds all coax devices (cable modem motorola 6141 and comcast tivo devices) The cable modem feeds the home internet, which operates well (75 / 10 rated, 90 / 12 more or less actual)

Comcast and tivo on moca all work well. The signal from comcast is strong.

I doubt there's a poe filter outside on the basic install. It's 15 year old rg6 cable coming in, although it's worth a look. Would it be outside on the wall or at the utility box? Should I care?

My question: Is there any reason I would want to put the cable modem on a different line than the poe filter? This is new to me and I'm just wondering. Basically, I would split the incoming line on entry to the 6141 and the poe filter / comcast.

As I said, everything appears to work perfectly as it is now.

jim1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
heifer624

Where your raw cable feed comes from the street I would split one leg off separately to your cable modem and the other leg I'd put the POE to feed the rest of the house.

I first had my modem and moca combined together and had nothing but trouble with internet and picture quality. Once I split the two separately I've had no problems.

Last edited by heifer624; 12-15-2015 at 09:22 AM.
heifer624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

I wouldn't worry about it as long as everything's working. An extra split would cut the TV signal in half which ideally shouldn't be done (as a matter of good practice) unless necessary to keep everything in harmony.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
jim1971

Thanks, both replies.

I'll keep an eye on it. If anything acts out, I'll put the split in the front and see if it makes a difference. Right now, everything is a-ok. Before Tivo, I never heard of poe filters. Diagrams put the filter often on the house outside before the cable enters the house. Some others did it differently. Didn't know it if was / is a big deal or not.

jim1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #5
Eskimo2

The biggest reason you'll see setups like that (with a 2-way splitter feeding the modem and then another splitter) is so that the signal to the cable modem gets the maximum strength signal.

You should be able to view your cable modem's signal strength through a web interface - I believe once it's up and running, 192.168.100.1 gets you there. So long as you have good downstream and upstream strength numbers and low errors, there's really no reason you should have to change things up. Since your speed is good (really good, I'm jealous!), it might not be worth the hassle.

Eskimo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1971 View Post
My cable feeds the poe filter, then a splitter.

The splitter feeds all coax devices (cable modem motorola 6141 and comcast tivo devices) The cable modem feeds the home internet, which operates well (75 / 10 rated, 90 / 12 more or less actual)

Comcast and tivo on moca all work well. The signal from comcast is strong.

I doubt there's a poe filter outside on the basic install. It's 15 year old rg6 cable coming in, although it's worth a look. Would it be outside on the wall or at the utility box? Should I care?

My question: Is there any reason I would want to put the cable modem on a different line than the poe filter? This is new to me and I'm just wondering. Basically, I would split the incoming line on entry to the 6141 and the poe filter / comcast.

As I said, everything appears to work perfectly as it is now.
Hi,
Some cable companies used the 2 way with one leg feeding the cable modem to provide a "clean" relatively strong signal to the modem which helped to improve internet service and lessen customer complaints. The other leg usually then transitions to an additional multiport signal to feed the TV signals to a DVR/ STB's. In this configuration, a POE filter could be easily installed on the leg feeding the 2nd leg or the input to the multiport splitter and in many cases eliminate the need to climb a pole to insert the filter at the tap. Placing the filter at the 2nd multiport splitter also protects the cable modem from interference from the MoCA signals and provides a slight boost to the MoCA frequencies at the same time.
POE / Whole Home DVR filters are functionally the same product and do the same thing, i.e., block and reflect the MoCA frequencies in the 1150-1550 MHz range. The MoCA filters are and have been fairly common since they are required for the popular Whole Home DVR service.
Your Arris/Motorola modem and most all in the newer 6xxx series have MoCA filters builtin but most other brands do not hence the benefit from starting the service with a 2 way.
If all is working well....I would leave it alone.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: