TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
BLUEAPPLEMASK

Searching for signal

Hello - I have a TIVO HD box and just got it hooked up with Comcast yesterday. Comcast put in a Motorola m card, but I can't see any channels - I can see the number of the channel, and the name like History channel, and even a blurb on the current show, but no actual picture. It then goes to a grey screen and the words "Searching for signal on cable in." I called TIVO and the had me look at all the settings, then the TIVO tech called Comcast while I was on the phone and they sent a signal to the cable card but nothing changed, so now I am stuck. I've looked at all the standard things that have been suggested on forums but still nothing works. TIVO and Comcast can't even figure it out together! Any ideas as to what else I can look at? Thank you.
BLUEAPPLEMASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEAPPLEMASK View Post
Hello - I have a TIVO HD box and just got it hooked up with Comcast yesterday. Comcast put in a Motorola m card, but I can't see any channels - I can see the number of the channel, and the name like History channel, and even a blurb on the current show, but no actual picture. It then goes to a grey screen and the words "Searching for signal on cable in." I called TIVO and the had me look at all the settings, then the TIVO tech called Comcast while I was on the phone and they sent a signal to the cable card but nothing changed, so now I am stuck. I've looked at all the standard things that have been suggested on forums but still nothing works. TIVO and Comcast can't even figure it out together! Any ideas as to what else I can look at? Thank you.
If you only got it hooked to Comcast yesterday, does that mean it was previously OTA only?

Have you gone back through Guided Setup, or otherwise told it you now have a cable provider you did not have previously?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
worachj

Make sure Comcast connected the input cable to the Cable input and not the antenna.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
BLUEAPPLEMASK

Thank you

Thank you everyone. We checked the cable and also went through guided setup several times. I don't know what OTA means.

We had Comcast come out yet again and they still couldn't figure it out so we decided to give up - too much hassle to get this thing going. We decided to go with the Comcast dvr and that works.

Thank you again for the replies.
BLUEAPPLEMASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
bobbythegeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Make sure Comcast connected the input cable to the Cable input and not the antenna.
The error message "Searching for signal on cable in" answers this.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEAPPLEMASK View Post
Thank you everyone. We checked the cable and also went through guided setup several times. I don't know what OTA means.

We had Comcast come out yet again and they still couldn't figure it out so we decided to give up - too much hassle to get this thing going. We decided to go with the Comcast dvr and that works.

Thank you again for the replies.
Over the air

Broadcast

Channels for which you need some sort of antenna

Did you just recently acquire this TiVo?

How do you know there wasn't anything wrong with that particular unit?

Interesting that Comcast's efforts wound up with you going with their product instead of the TiVo, which I assume means more money for them each month.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegeek View Post
The error message "Searching for signal on cable in" answers this.
Do you mean answers in the negative?