TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Steve-O

Help!! LG Soundbar + TiVo Glo Remote

I searched these forums before posting, but still need help.

I just bought an LG 47LM4700 TV, which is bundled with a cheap soundbar. The soundbar is connected via optical cable, and its volume is controlled NOT with the main volume controls on the LG remote, but (once the built-in TV speakers are disabled), with secondary volume controls on the LG remote, or with a separate, smaller remote that was packaged with the soundbar. It's pretty ugly.

Though my TivoHD remote was easily set up to control the LG TV and its built-in speakers, it could not be programmed for the LG soundbar. So I bought a TiVoGlo remote for its learning capability.

Following the instructions, and--judging by the way the light on the TiVoGlo remote was flashing properly--I was able to "teach" the remote the soundbar's Volume Up and Volume Down commands. However, the remote wasn't successful in actual use with the soundbar.

So...can this be fixed? Thanks in advance.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
I searched these forums before posting, but still need help.

I just bought an LG 47LM4700 TV, which is bundled with a cheap soundbar. The soundbar is connected via optical cable, and its volume is controlled NOT with the main volume controls on the LG remote, but (once the built-in TV speakers are disabled), with secondary volume controls on the LG remote, or with a separate, smaller remote that was packaged with the soundbar. It's pretty ugly.

Though my TivoHD remote was easily set up to control the LG TV and its built-in speakers, it could not be programmed for the LG soundbar. So I bought a TiVoGlo remote for its learning capability.

Following the instructions, and--judging by the way the light on the TiVoGlo remote was flashing properly--I was able to "teach" the remote the soundbar's Volume Up and Volume Down commands. However, the remote wasn't successful in actual use with the soundbar.

So...can this be fixed? Thanks in advance.
Try connecting the soundbar using "analog" cables (the Red and White ones). External devices can't be controlled with the digital output (ie. The optical cable)

This "should" make the volume controllable from the TV.

Disclaimer: LG is a bit 'iffy' in this area. It is the only brand that doesn't have a "variable" audio output.

Let us know how you make out. This is a common question.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

I don't recommend the analog audio output. You lose a lot of audio quality. The optical output has the best audio quality, but it is not a variable output.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Oh! I forgot to mention one other thing---
The TiVo Glo Remote should work when you teach it the volume commands. Make sure you do the teaching away from any fluorescent lights or plasma TV
Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
I don't recommend the analog audio output. You lose a lot of audio quality. The optical output has the best audio quality, but it is not a variable output.
I will not try to argue which output on the LG TV has the better quality as it depends on the internal electronics but..

That said, your statment about analog audio connections is absolutely FALSE and quite the opposite is true. Analog audio connectors can carry FAR more detail and dynamic range than the digital signals in common use. Not to mention far better than that sound bar is capable of producing.

This consumer belief that anything digital MUST be better is pure marketing and mostly wrong.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I will not try to argue which output on the LG TV has the better quality as it depends on the internal electronics but..

That said, your statment about analog audio connections is absolutely FALSE and quite the opposite is true. Analog audio connectors can carry FAR more detail and dynamic range than the digital signals in common use. Not to mention far better than that sound bar is capable of producing.

This consumer belief that anything digital MUST be better is pure marketing and mostly wrong.
I will agree with what you said. But let me rephrase, and clarify what I meant. A digital signal will transmit Dolby 5.1, which many sound bars can simulate. That is why I believe the digital is better. My sound bar does a decent job of simulating 5.1. With analog signals you will only get 2 channels, or stereo.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Steve-O

Struck out.

(1) The TV doesn't offer analog audio out.

(2) The soundbar doesn't have analog audio in. The optical connection is the only input.

(3) The TivoGlo remote behaved (as indicated by the 4-5 slow flashes of the LED) as if it had successfully learned Volume Up and Volume Down. The problem is that, having learned these codes, this remote doesn't work when I try to use these functions. Yet, I can control the soundbar volume with the two remotes included with the LG (the one for the TV and the one for the soundbar).

I don't understand why the TiVoGlo remote can't control the soundbar, after ostensibly having learned how to.

And, based on malayphred's information, it sounds like getting another soundbar wouldn't work, since it too would have to be connected to the TV the same (the only available) way.

So what's next, buying a HTIB (home theater in a box) as a solution?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
jcthorne

Depends on what is important to you. You might try a different learning remote. This would not be the first device the glow remote could not learn. Many newer devices are in a higher frequency IR range and not reporduceable by the glo remote. Logitec and Universal have some that might solve this.

A different sound system is a possible answer. Its not the digital connection that is the root of the problem, its the remoted IR codes. A different sound bar may work fine. I have a phillips sound bar with sub that works fine with a tivo glow remote.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Steve-O

I'd rather upgrade to a better soundbar than give up my new TiVo Glo remote. I've been using TiVo remotes since there's been a TiVo, and I'm used to it; and the TiVo Glo has the best look and feel in this family since, well, ever. I like it a lot.

OTOH, the bundled LG soundbar is scarcely better than the built-in speakers. So now I just need to find a high-performing soundbar at a reasonable price, the TiVo Glo can learn to control.

My next move, then, would be to scan these forums again, and search the web, to find out what my choices are. I don't want to set up a soundbar only to discover that the TiVo Glo is not compatible with it.

Thanks for the sound advice...so to speak...
Old 12-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
I'd rather upgrade to a better soundbar than give up my new TiVo Glo remote. I've been using TiVo remotes since there's been a TiVo, and I'm used to it; and the TiVo Glo has the best look and feel in this family since, well, ever. I like it a lot.

OTOH, the bundled LG soundbar is scarcely better than the built-in speakers. So now I just need to find a high-performing soundbar at a reasonable price, the TiVo Glo can learn to control.

My next move, then, would be to scan these forums again, and search the web, to find out what my choices are. I don't want to set up a soundbar only to discover that the TiVo Glo is not compatible with it.

Thanks for the sound advice...so to speak...
I feel your pain Steve and wish I could have been more helpful.

It must be possible to find a device that will work with your glo remote. This might be the way to go.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Merry Christmas
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
Steve-O

(I posted the following review at Amazon.com for the TVee 25 soundbar, which they are selling now for $130. I also posted it in another thread in this forum, but it definitely belongs in this thread.)

I ordered the Boston Acoustics TVee 25 soundbar from Amazon.com on Wednesday, and it arrived today (only two days later) even with SuperSaver shipping. I set it up tonight on my LG 47LM4700 television, replacing the bundled LG NB20202A soundbar on the TOSlink optical connection. I have a TiVoHD DVR and a TiVo Glo C00212 remote.

I am happy to report that the TVee 25 was simple to set up (the included subwoofer is wireless) and "teaching" it using the TiVo Glo remote was simple and successful. I am now able to use the TiVo Glo to raise and lower the volume, and mute it. I also programmed the blue "B" button on the remote to power on/off the soundbar. All these functions worked throughout the hour or so I was playing tonight. The question is whether the programming will persist; only time will tell.

The sound quality is acceptable. The wife wouldn't like too much bass, so I have the sub turned way down for just subtle effect. The overall sound of the TVee 25 has more presence (midrange) when compared to the tinny built-in speakers of the LG TV, but, as other reviews have reported at Amazon, the top end is a bit lacking. Not as much as I had feared, based on the "idiot's review" at AVS Forum. For the price I paid (about $130 for a $350 MSRP kit, which usually sells for about $180 or more on various web sites) this is really not much compromise. Also, I am not experiencing the squeaks, pops, or other noises which other users have reported.

With the TVee 25, I have been to achieve a single point of control (the TiVo Glo remote) for both television and soundbar, which I was not able to do with the bundled LG soundbar.

I suspect a lot of LG TVs were sold this holiday season. Based on one evening's limited experience, I can recommend the TVee 25 as a workable sound solution for TiVo users with the Glo remote, and who, like me, have an LG television.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
duncan7

Resurrecting this thread...

Has anyone found a soundbar (better, a list of soundbars) that can be controlled using the A/V functions of the stock tivo remote?
duncan7 is offline   Reply With Quote