Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

60 Minutes 9/9/12 - "Mark Owen" on killing of Osama bin Laden

Surprised there's no thread yet...

Tonight's entire ep 60 Minutes was an interview w/"Mark Owen". http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_16...in;cbsCarousel has a link to watch the segment. Looks like they have it broken up into 4 parts, or you can watch it all as one part (43:52 long).

I watched it on TiVo so I can't comment on how complete the online version is. 43:52 sounds about right given the amount of commercials OTA and padding at the end.
cwerdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I thought it was interesting. I was appalled to learn at the end that some news/magazine source tracked down his real name and released it. disgusting.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
I thought it was interesting. I was appalled to learn at the end that some news/magazine source tracked down his real name and released it. disgusting.
Agree. It was very interesting.

Agree about your second comment, but I'd known about the supposed real name of Mark Owen weeks ago. It was all over the news shortly after a lot of stories about the book were hitting the news.

Personally, I think he's a little nuts to write the book given the threat of legal action from the Pentagon over this and for his own personal safety. I wouldn't be surprised if Al-Qaeda ends up taking him out.

My parents were thinking, maybe it'd be ok (from a safety POV) if he did this say 50 years later, when he's old, just not now.
cwerdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I also thought it was interesting. They were mighty lucky the helicopter crashed exactly like it did.

As far as his real name getting out ... in this day and age you've gotta assume that someone is going to track it down and release it. Information is everywhere and there is an army of people on the internet itching to mine for nuggets like this. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
cheesesteak
Meh.

He shouldn't have written a book and chased a pot of gold if he wanted to remain anonymous.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
tiams

I loved the tidbit about how the point guy whispered "khalid" and the dumbass stuck his head out!

I almost feel like the Pentagon must not really mind this book being published despite the official, public condemnation of it. I really believe that if the United States Government/Military wanted information suppressed, they could easily accomplish it.
This way, the world gets to hear how amazing our special forces are without any real military secrets being revealed.
I can't wait to read the book.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I have no doubt that the Pentagon doesn't mind - I wouldn't be surprised if they solicited or directed him to do it as PR of some sort.

I agree nobody should be surprised his name was leaked. Still disgusting that people would do it.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
mwhip
All better

I was curious about some of the details. Initially he said three helicopters (blackhawks) one in the courtyard, one to fast rope to the roof and one to land outside for security. Then when he talked about the attack and they showed the animation there were only two. One crashed and the other did security. What happened to the 3rd? Did they scrap it before they started?

I thought the point guy on the stairs and the way he killed Khalil was very interesting, Khalil was not too bright.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

He didn't say 3. He said the security one would go to the roof after dropping off the external unit.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
He shouldn't have written a book and chased a pot of gold if he wanted to remain anonymous.
You're of course assuming (without foundation) that he did this to chase a pot of gold, as opposed to wanting to have a proper written record made of a highly significant moment in history.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
SNJpage1

He wrote the story because he says the President lied about what happened. The original story released said OBL was armed. In the book version he was shot while unarmed. And then shot three more times while laying dead on the floor.
This guy is a disgrace to the SEALS who all took an oath not reveal any details of any of the missions they went on. Now every terrorest group is getting all fired up and will try to kill every American soldier they can find.
The whole reason for the book is to make the President look bad. This guy was probabaly paid by the GOP to publish the book. Now he says he is going to donate all the money to charity. The foundation that helps SEALS told him to keep the money they didnt want any part of it.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

If the whole reason for the book was to make the President look bad, then why didn't I get that sense at all from watching the interviewed that was based on the book?

Do you have specific passages from the book that would clarify this?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
If the whole reason for the book was to make the President look bad, then why didn't I get that sense at all from watching the interviewed that was based on the book?

Do you have specific passages from the book that would clarify this?
Yeah, I am not too sure I understand this one either, and I am always on the lookout for a GOP conspiracy, so help me out on this one.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
This guy is a disgrace to the SEALS who all took an oath not reveal any details of any of the missions they went on.
This is what bothers me. They are blood brothers, sworn to each other. How he could do this just astounds me.

I have a nephew who is a SEAL. Seal Team Eight, based in Virginia. Next time I see him I'll ask him what the SEAL consensus is on this guy.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This is what bothers me. They are blood brothers, sworn to each other. How he could do this just astounds me.

I have a nephew who is a SEAL. Seal Team Eight, based in Virginia. Next time I see him I'll ask him what the SEAL consensus is on this guy.
Well if they are sworn to each other, as you say, he may not say much.

..and I'm not understanding the outrage...he extolled the virtues and professionalism of the SEAL team. Since when has that been deserving of scorn?

..and for all we know, the whole thing is just smoke and mirrors perpetuated by the gov't and military to cover what really happened. Whether it was misdirection about how they run their training, or the equipment they use, etc...Really easy, since people tend to digest whatever they are served up.

still an interesting interview.

Last edited by MonsterJoe : 09-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
You're of course assuming (without foundation) that he did this to chase a pot of gold, as opposed to wanting to have a proper written record made of a highly significant moment in history.
We already know what happened. The only significant difference is that he says bin Laden wasn't armed. Frankly, I don't care if bin Laden were armed or not. He could have been playing butt naked Twister with his wives when he was shot for all I care.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
This.

I AM interested in this story. And the Maarsk story, too! But if a SEAL is supposed to have a code of silence and he breaks the code, well, he has to suffer the consequences.

If you want to stay secret, stay secret. You can'y go and right a book spilling the secrets, expecting your identity to stay secret.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
He wrote the story because he says the President lied about what happened. The original story released said OBL was armed. In the book version he was shot while unarmed. And then shot three more times while laying dead on the floor.
This guy is a disgrace to the SEALS who all took an oath not reveal any details of any of the missions they went on. Now every terrorest group is getting all fired up and will try to kill every American soldier they can find.
The whole reason for the book is to make the President look bad. This guy was probabaly paid by the GOP to publish the book. Now he says he is going to donate all the money to charity. The foundation that helps SEALS told him to keep the money they didnt want any part of it.

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
We already know what happened. The only significant difference is that he says bin Laden wasn't armed. Frankly, I don't care if bin Laden were armed or not. He could have been playing butt naked Twister with his wives when he was shot for all I care.
Exactly. 3000 people in the WTC weren't armed when he attacked either.

As for the book, from what I gather, he had some criticisms of the Prez in the book, but CBS didn't talk about it at all. I guess we'll have to read the book and see.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

wonder what he thinks about "Osama Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive"

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
SNJpage1

MonsterJoe, The book is saying the Preisdent lied about how the mission went down. The President told the public that OBL was armed when he was killed. This guy is saying that they shot an unarmed man and then shot him 3 more times while he was laying on the floor dead. He wants to make the President look like a lier just before the elections. That is the only thing in the book that differs from the report that the White House gave to the public. The writer of the book said he wanted the public to know the truth. Well his version of the truth makes the SEALS look bad and will result in the terrorest geting all fired up over it. The SEALS were heros in the public eye until he wrote this book. He makes them look like a bunch of guys who go around shooting unarmed people.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Exactly. 3000 people in the WTC weren't armed when he attacked either.

As for the book, from what I gather, he had some criticisms of the Prez in the book, but CBS didn't talk about it at all. I guess we'll have to read the book and see.
I didn't watch the interview but when the book was first announced, it was right before the Republican National Convention and reviewers mentioned that he took a couple of swipes at Obama.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
Shaunnick

How does that make them any less heroic. They went into a situation that any of them could have been shot and killed to bring justice to a mass murderer.

I feel no different knowing he was unarmed versus before.

And my opinion on the president has not changed.

And on top of that the guy is entitled to his view on how the President handled it.

Suppose Obama did lie? He and the administration had some sort of justification for it. This man felt he was justified in disputing that.

Either way I am proud of him and I still respect Obama.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
MonsterJoe, The book is saying the Preisdent lied about how the mission went down. The President told the public that OBL was armed when he was killed. This guy is saying that they shot an unarmed man and then shot him 3 more times while he was laying on the floor dead. He wants to make the President look like a lier just before the elections. That is the only thing in the book that differs from the report that the White House gave to the public. The writer of the book said he wanted the public to know the truth. Well his version of the truth makes the SEALS look bad and will result in the terrorest geting all fired up over it. The SEALS were heros in the public eye until he wrote this book. He makes them look like a bunch of guys who go around shooting unarmed people.
OK, the "Owen" said very plainly that they had every reason to believe that he WAS armed...and while they entered on a Kill OR Capture mission, OBL's fate was unintentionally decided.

They were engaged almost immediately upon entering the compound, and found an AK next to Khalid's body...they had every reason to believe that the head poking from behind the door that the pointman shot was armed. He didn't know it was OBL at the time...nor did they know when they continued to engage the target.

OBL's identity was confirmed after by multiple sources found inside the house.

I don't think this disagrees entirely, or paints a bad picture of the SEALs or the POTUS. I think it paints a picture of a President dumbing down an address to save on damage control....and a SEAL team that acted on its feet to complete a mission.

I don't have a problem with either.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
How does that make them any less heroic. They went into a situation that any of them could have been shot and killed to bring justice to a mass murderer.

I feel no different knowing he was unarmed versus before.

And my opinion on the president has not changed.

And on top of that the guy is entitled to his view on how the President handled it.

Suppose Obama did lie? He and the administration had some sort of justification for it. This man felt he was justified in disputing that.

Either way I am proud of him and I still respect Obama.
My sentiments exactly.
It doesn't change my opinion whatsoever about the President or the danger facing the SEAL team that Osama Bin Laden wasn't armed.

The only thing these types of stories do make me question is the timing of the release of the book a mere month before a Presidential election.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Now every terrorest group is getting all fired up and will try to kill every American soldier they can find.
Now? As opposed to when?

Lol.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
midas
I heard that

Not really sure I understand. The SEALs are the one that actually killed OBL. If they killed an unarmed OBL it reflects badlly on the SEALs, not Obama. If Obama says he was armed and he wasn't, it just makes the SEALs look better.

I didn't watch the whole interview last night, and I wasn't really listening too closely to what I did watch. But I thought I heard Owen say OBL had a gun but never fired it. I thought he made some comments that OBL was good at getting others to fight but when the rubber hit the road he was basically a chicken.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
ElJay

I suspect next we'll hear that OBL was actually holding a basketful of cute kittens which Obama ordered to death.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
tiams

Quote:
. Now every terrorest group is getting all fired up and will try to kill every American soldier they can find.
Is the book the first the terrorists are hearing that OBL is dead?

Quote:
Well his version of the truth makes the SEALS look bad and will result in the terrorest geting all fired up over it. The SEALS were heros in the public eye until he wrote this book. He makes them look like a bunch of guys who go around shooting unarmed people.
The book makes the SEALS look like awesome, invincible heros.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
Azlen

I heard the account that Bin Laden was unarmed when he was killed not too long after it happened.
I don't think there is anything in this book that paints Obama in a really bad light. The only things I've heard is that the SEALS didn't want it to help with Obama's reelection and I don't think it will. People have short memories in the voting booth. If it happened a week before the election it would give him a bump but it was too long ago to give him bunch benefit now.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote