TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
teamzissou

CBS now streaming online in HD

CBS is now streaming a lot of their hit shows on their official website in high-def. looks like CSI, numb3rs, big bang theory, how i met your mother, and a bunch of others each have multiple episodes available to stream in HD (for free!).

streaming online content is coming along ridiculously quickly (really, it seems like only yesterday i was watching 30 second low-quality clips of episodes on youtube to pass the time at work) - i think it's awesome that they're already starting to offer things this high of quality for free.

what do you guys think?
teamzissou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
MickeS

Yeah, it seems like this delivery method has exploded this year. Makes me wonder about the future of standalone DVRs like TiVo or cable DVRs. I think TiVos focus on Internet content is very wise, because I still think that few people have an interest in watching TV on the PC or hook the PC to the TV (few compared to how many watch regular TV, that is).
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
ewolfr

I think its great that CBS and others are adding HD streaming content. Makes me want to get a bigger monitor to take advantage of it. But it stinks that its coming on the heels of Comcast, Time-Warner, etc. announcing download/upload caps to their internet service. Im really glad that I have access to dsl as I dont think I could handle the 40GB plan that seems to be TWC's top offering in their Texas test market.
ewolfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
teamzissou

yeah. hey, now with xbox 360's streaming netflix content, anything can happen. me, i'm a multitasker - i fire up sitcoms on my laptop and play video games on the tv. looking forward to having episodes of how i met your mother on demand any time i want.
teamzissou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
I think its great that CBS and others are adding HD streaming content. Makes me want to get a bigger monitor to take advantage of it. But it stinks that its coming on the heels of Comcast, Time-Warner, etc. announcing download/upload caps to their internet service.
Somehow I don't think it's a coincidence.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
I think its great that CBS and others are adding HD streaming content. Makes me want to get a bigger monitor to take advantage of it. But it stinks that its coming on the heels of Comcast, Time-Warner, etc. announcing download/upload caps to their internet service. Im really glad that I have access to dsl as I dont think I could handle the 40GB plan that seems to be TWC's top offering in their Texas test market.
This is why we will seriously have to consider making it mandated that content providers and content delivery companies can never be the same entity. Right now it is a crash course to destroy net neutrality all in the interests of corporate bottom lines.

Just like it was once felt it was bad for the Major networks to have any ownership stake in the programs they aired, they are now going to have look long and hard at allowing cable and satellite companies from owning any channels/networks that deliver content.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
McGonigle
Far out!

What speeds do I need to get the HD signal when streaming CBS shows? According to speedtest.net I get 26 Mbps download speed but I'm only getting one or two bars on their HD signal meter thingy. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks!
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote