TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
tomhorsley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 613
And what about Windows?

Aside from android, there are lots of laptops and desktops and media PCs out there running Windows located in areas of the home without TV, a Windows client sure would be handy.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,787
I would think a windows 8 app makes sense as there will be some (many?) win 8 phones & tablets but it really doesn't appear there is going to be a app for normal win/mac/linux computers. But who knows with win 8 the lines between phone, tablet, and computers are being blurred together even more.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,876
TiVo Desktop badly needs an update to not only support the Stream but also to act as a server streaming (not copying) shows back to TiVos as well. Chances of that actually happening? Zilch.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,493
Does anyone know who is writing the Tablet software for TiVo?

Windows 8 isn't out yet, so I am sure it isn't on their radar screen at this point. And for it to get any priority - W8 tablets are going to have to show significant adotion.

Also, I suspect with the open file system native to Windows - it may take more effort to secure the stream.

Either way, I plan on being an early adopter. But, when it comes to TiVo I tend to be a little less optimistic on the speed of development.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (for sale)
TiVo HD (for sale)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
TiVo Desktop badly needs an update to not only support the Stream but also to act as a server streaming (not copying) shows back to TiVos as well. Chances of that actually happening? Zilch.
Maybe...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=492612

Dan
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Austin Bike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 543
Ok. As quick as I posted that I found a solution. You need to press HARD on the folder to open it. If you just tap it, it will crash. But if you put your finger on the folder until it opens, it works fine. A bug but not unbeatable.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
pcbrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Ok. As quick as I posted that I found a solution. You need to press HARD on the folder to open it. If you just tap it, it will crash. But if you put your finger on the folder until it opens, it works fine. A bug but not unbeatable.
Was this post supposed to go in the iOS6 thread?
__________________
Premier - 2TB LT
Premier4 - 2TB (m2m)
(652) TiVoHD - 1TB (LT)
(648) Series3 - 750GB (LT, dead PS for now)
pcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Austin Bike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Was this post supposed to go in the iOS6 thread?
yeah, one too many vodka and frescas this evening....
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
mikebaratta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Does anyone know what the Tivo app uses to determine if your Tivo box has "Network Remote Control" enabled?

I have the Tivo Android app running on my Windows 7 machine, but can't get past the "Enable Network Remote Control" screen. I have two tivos, both with network remote control enabled, and the iPhone app connects fine. Thinking maybe it's Windows Firewall blocking but I thought I "allowed" everything.

If I can get past this (and Tivo updates the Android app to work with the stream) we could have an unofficial windows app.

Thanks in advance,
__________________
TiVo Premiere -> Xbox One
TiVo Premiere -> Logitech Revue
Roku XD
Vizio Co-Star

Retired
Sony TiVo S1
TiVo Series 2
TiVo HD
mikebaratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaratta View Post
Does anyone know what the Tivo app uses to determine if your Tivo box has "Network Remote Control" enabled?

I have the Tivo Android app running on my Windows 7 machine, but can't get past the "Enable Network Remote Control" screen. I have two tivos, both with network remote control enabled, and the iPhone app connects fine. Thinking maybe it's Windows Firewall blocking but I thought I "allowed" everything.

If I can get past this (and Tivo updates the Android app to work with the stream) we could have an unofficial windows app.

Thanks in advance,
I think it looks for "_tivo-mindrpc._tcp.local" Bonjour (MDNS) broadcasts. See:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...19#post8464919
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |