TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Amazing Race : 10/7/2012

The twins impressed me this week. I think they would get under my skin if I had to be around them for long, but they do have a great attitude and work ethic and they seem to be smart. I hope they go far in the race.

Too bad about Amy and Daniel. Another good team screwed by a bad cab driver.

I like the show so far this season - off to a good start!

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
The twins impressed me this week. I think they would get under my skin if I had to be around them for long, but they do have a great attitude and work ethic and they seem to be smart. I hope they go far in the race.
It's like I said last week, you can't figure out teams based on one week. The teams are just too much at the mercy of the editors. I was very impressed by them. They dove into that fish challenge without hesitation.

Quote:
Too bad about Amy and Daniel. Another good team screwed by a bad cab driver.
I am so upset about this. I was kind of rooting for them after last week. It just seems totally unfair to me that the race for a million dollars can boil down to a random cab choice. It is at it's worst when it happens in the finale but it seems unfair in any leg.

Now, after 2 episodes, I can't really say I am rooting for any group in particular. Maybe I'll root for the sisters because they look like they will be entertaining.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Oh, and how damn cute was that little girl they had holding the clue while Phil explained the Balloon task?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I was also bummed Amy and Daniel finished last. They seemed like they would be a formidable team.

I don't understand how the Monster Truckers didn't check what time their flight arrived in Indonesia. It always baffles me how teams seem more concerned about departure time than arrival time. Also, I can't believe they'd sit in the HK airport for 4 hours without looking for a faster connection. Given how busy HK is, I'd be very surprised if there weren't something going to Indonesia sooner than the flight they took.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

Nobody was really annoying this week. And I have to agree with the above statement that there is no way a team should lose because a cab driver doesn't know his way around town. It's simply too random of a way for a team to be taken out of the running. I've always felt that there should be a dedicated, available fleet of taxis whenever that is the mode of transportation, or teams should be given a map and a car and have to figure out their own way around. But for a team to be eliminated from the race due to a completely uncontrollable and unavoidable event is neither fair nor enjoyable to watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Nobody was really annoying this week. And I have to agree with the above statement that there is no way a team should lose because a cab driver doesn't know his way around town. It's simply too random of a way for a team to be taken out of the running. I've always felt that there should be a dedicated, available fleet of taxis whenever that is the mode of transportation, or teams should be given a map and a car and have to figure out their own way around. But for a team to be eliminated from the race due to a completely uncontrollable and unavoidable event is neither fair nor enjoyable to watch.
I want to agree, but at the same time, they could always demand that the driver pull over, let them out, and they could find another taxi that does know its way around. The problem with these bad taxi drivers is that the teams always stick with them too long.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I want to agree, but at the same time, they could always demand that the driver pull over, let them out, and they could find another taxi that does know its way around. The problem with these bad taxi drivers is that the teams always stick with them too long.
Perhaps so, but IMO it should still not be a factor in the race. And am I the only one put off by the first 15 minutes being dedicated to plane travel? I know it's not the first time they've done that, and while some of it is interesting it could easily be boiled down to a 5 minute segment with more time left to challenges (what few there were this week).

I don't know, maybe the show is starting to get a little long in the tooth for me. Too much of the same thing - only the personalities change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I, for one, would have been bummed that I had to ride pillion on a moped while someone else got to ride a sled suspended between two bulls while smacking them on the ass with god only knows what was on those paddles. That looked like fun!

meh
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I agree with the comments above. You can argue the fairness / unfairness of it, but in any case, the bad cabbie doesn't make for entertaining TV (unless of course the team you love to hate is the one stuck with the bad cab driver).
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...am I the only one put off by the first 15 minutes being dedicated to plane travel? I know it's not the first time they've done that, and while some of it is interesting it could easily be boiled down to a 5 minute segment....
No, you're not the only one. And it ultimately has NO impact on the teams. They all even out the next morning...it's baloney.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
caslu

Quote:
I have to disagree with this and the previous post about bad taxi drivers. To me, this is part of the Amazing Race playing field and part of the fun is seeing how a team strategizes to overcome getting a bad taxi driver... it can be done and has been done by other teams, so in no way do I think it's unfair.

So, you got a bad cab... Will you get rid of him before it's too late and find a more capable driver? Will you risk losing a few minutes to stop at a hotel, internet cafe, etc.. and do some research to make up for the driver's shortcomings? Or, will you simply stay in the cab and whine about your bad luck and how unfair it all is?

Yes, it sucks but it's hardly unfair.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

^^ Good point, there's nothing stopping a team from demanding their driver take them to another cab.

meh
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
I have to disagree with this and the previous post about bad taxi drivers. To me, this is part of the Amazing Race playing field and part of the fun is seeing how a team strategizes to overcome getting a bad taxi driver... it can be done and has been done by other teams, so in no way do I think it's unfair.

So, you got a bad cab... Will you get rid of him before it's too late and find a more capable driver? Will you risk losing a few minutes to stop at a hotel, internet cafe, etc.. and do some research to make up for the driver's shortcomings? Or, will you simply stay in the cab and whine about your bad luck and how unfair it all is?

+1
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
ElJay

Quote:
^^ Good point, there's nothing stopping a team from demanding their driver take them to another cab.
I will never understand why so many teams apparently show infinite patience with a cab driver. First, don't any of these drivers have a dispatcher they can call to look up difficult addresses? If that doesn't work, stop the car, settle up, and find a driver with a clue.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
No, you're not the only one. And it ultimately has NO impact on the teams. They all even out the next morning...it's baloney.
Not only that, but the first "task" was just a time sink that I felt was a waste of time. They didn't even have to do anything.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Not only that, but the first "task" was just a time sink that I felt was a waste of time. They didn't even have to do anything.
I almost got the feeling that they had something else planned, and had to fill this in because it fell through or something. I believe that kind of thing has happened in the past.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post

They tried. Wasn't it them they showed outside the cab trying to get guidance? I thought they asked about Information.

Another problem is that I am guessing that there was not that huge of a difference in where the teams finshed.

-There was a bunch up in the morning.
-The bull task did not seem to spead out the teams that much.
-The Balloon task I have a feeling they made it look like it took far more time than it did.
-Everybody seemed to have no issues with the ice or fish task that caused any delay.

15 or 30 minutes could have easily made a difference. How long do you need to be in a taxi, in a foreign country wih a taxi driver who says he knows where he is going before you realize he does not?

It's fair if you say, rightfully, that it could happen to anyone but if you are one of the last teams racing towards a final task then a bad cab driver is certain doom.

I don't mind when teams get lost when they are forced to navigate themselves but when they are asked to rely on a third party, who has absolutely no stake in the outcome of the race and has no incentive not to lie about knowing where the destination is then it gets sketchy. I would have no problem if they could remove cab rides from the race entirely.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I saw a pretty noticeable difference in the position of the shadows between when the 9th team checked in and when the last team checked in. I think there was a bigger time difference there than the editors would like us to believe.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
Azlen

Choosing and dealing with cab drivers is one of the key skills on The Amazing Race. It's like cooking risotto on Hell's Kitchen. You don't have to get in the first cab that comes along if you don't think they'll be able to get you where you want to go. If you do get stuck with a bad one, how long you choose to stay at their mercy is totally up to you.
There is still a bit of luck involved, but not as much as the unlucky paint it to be.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
Skyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
I almost got the feeling that they had something else planned, and had to fill this in because it fell through or something. I believe that kind of thing has happened in the past.
I think the simpleness of the bull race was related to the logistics of having 40 children on standby for the balloon/pedaling task. You can't have children waiting around all day for the racers to trickle in and do their task, so the overnight bunch up and the everybody-gets-a-clue-no-matter-how-they-finish-the-cow-race were intentionally structured to get all the racers in and out of the balloon/pedaling task before the kids went into meltdown. I wonder how many "spare" kids they had on standby in case some kids started crying or anything else that required their quick replacement to insure "happy kids" television footage?
Skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
I think the simpleness of the bull race was related to the logistics of having 40 children on standby for the balloon/pedaling task. You can't have children waiting around all day for the racers to trickle in and do their task, so the overnight bunch up and the everybody-gets-a-clue-no-matter-how-they-finish-the-cow-race were intentionally structured to get all the racers in and out of the balloon/pedaling task before the kids went into meltdown. I wonder how many "spare" kids they had on standby in case some kids started crying or anything else that required their quick replacement to insure "happy kids" television footage?
That's a solid point. It ensured that teams would arrive at the balloon task in a staggered manner, but relatively quickly one after the other. The only way to do that was with a bunch up and a one-at-a-time task like the bull races.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
gschrock

I've got to be honest, I don't really have a problem with the cab driver issue that always comes up. First, anyone's that has ever watched this show knows that cab drivers can be an issue (and wasn't the eliminated team one of those that seemed to indicate that they were fans of the show? I vaguely remember a few comments along that line). If your cab driver starts showing signs of not having a clue, have him take you somewhere that it's easy to get another cab. Yeah, it can suck, but there's an element of personal responsibility involved, in that you have to judge that you're not getting anywhere with the guy you have. But to me, the luck of the cab driver is part of the experience of travelling to these other countries. If you're a tourist, you can quite honestly end up in the same situation.

Unlike Maui, I do think the balloon task did take a while for some teams. It definitely seemed to jumble the order up some. And until you get the hang of twisting the balloons properly, it can be a difficult task, especially while peddling a bike.

I do think this episode probably was one that when they sat down to edit they realized that there wasn't a lot of drama going on in the tasks, and without that, there's just a limit to how interesting the episode can be.

I have to admit, I'm kinda rooting for team Metal myself. Us long-haired guys have to stick together . And I'm thankful that they seem to be pretty decent people so far, you never quite know when you get a metal guitarist and a lawyer. Even though I think the twins did a pretty good job this week, there's something about them that makes me wish they'd get eliminated sooner rather than later. Course, that does seem less likely to happen sooner now. I was pretty surprised that the fish task seemed to be pretty equivalent in time to the ice task, when they showed them I thought for sure that it would be a terrible choice.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
I will never understand why so many teams apparently show infinite patience with a cab driver. First, don't any of these drivers have a dispatcher they can call to look up difficult addresses? If that doesn't work, stop the car, settle up, and find a driver with a clue.
One of the teams said, call 'information'..'We don't have information!' There are probably alot of individual operated cabs there that don't have central dispatch.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Quote:
I, for one, would have been bummed that I had to ride pillion on a moped while someone else got to ride a sled suspended between two bulls while smacking them on the ass with god only knows what was on those paddles. That looked like fun!
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original plan.....then someone decided it was too dangerous.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #25
VegasVic
Craps Player

I always like when they drive themselves but I guess some countries it's too dangerous/difficult. And I never liked using cabs on the final leg since they are in the US and can drive themselves. But I guess I understand on the final leg not wanting to risk an accident when racing for a million.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

They only tend to drive out in rural areas and never (or very rarely) in larger cities.

I would hate to drive through one of those cities in Asia (from India over) where there are a lot of mopeds, motorcycles, bikes and large trucks all vying for the same piece of road!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
They only tend to drive out in rural areas and never (or very rarely) in larger cities.

I would hate to drive through one of those cities in Asia (from India over) where there are a lot of mopeds, motorcycles, bikes and large trucks all vying for the same piece of road!
I wouldn't say they don't drive in large cities, we've seen them driving in pretty decent sized cities in europe. Heck, didn't they drive in Tokyo one year? But I think you're right on the money about places like Asia, or Indonesia. The traffic mix in these types of places would just be asking for an accident. Besides, if the cab drives can't find a place like the motors place they had to find in this episode, I suspect the odds of someone driving themselves to the proper location are significantly smaller. Heck, even the marketplace I'd suspect would be pretty tough.

(Quite frankly, there's been a few seasons where there's been some teams that I'm not convinced should be driving in *any* location.)
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
tiams

The problem with saying a team should switch cabs or it is their own fault is that many times they are lost in an area where it is no longer feasible to hail another cab.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #29
GoHalos

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
I wouldn't say they don't drive in large cities, we've seen them driving in pretty decent sized cities in europe...
They almost always have to drive themselves to the airport in the first leg as well, and those first legs have often been in and around Los Angeles.

Quote:
Agreed!
GoHalos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
They almost always have to drive themselves to the airport in the first leg as well, and those first legs have often been in and around Los Angeles.
I think the producers assume that any of the contestants should be familiar with US traffic laws and driving customs, so that even driving in a very congested city like LA would be acceptable. But driving in some of those Asian cities, where bikes outnumber cars, traffic doesn't really follow any regular rules, and taxis essentially have the right of way over all other vehicles, is a different story altogether. Add in a camera and sound guy, the added stress of the race, and that's just a recipe for disaster.