TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Ron DeGumbia

Series 3 not booting

After a recent power outage, the Series 3 hung on the welcome to Tivo screen. Giving it over an hour at this screen, I powered down. Powering up the 2nd time there was no welcome screen at all this time.. After a minute or so of sporadic clicks from the HD... silence. All lights on the front panel are lit.

Assuming its the drive, what are the proper steps to doing a single drive replacement on a Series 3?

Any help would be appreciated!
Ron DeGumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
worachj

Start here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hp?t=370784#S5
Old 09-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron DeGumbia View Post
After a recent power outage, the Series 3 hung on the welcome to Tivo screen. Giving it over an hour at this screen, I powered down. Powering up the 2nd time there was no welcome screen at all this time.. After a minute or so of sporadic clicks from the HD... silence. All lights on the front panel are lit.

Assuming its the drive, what are the proper steps to doing a single drive replacement on a Series 3?

There are three models within the Series 3 platform, the Series 3 w/ OLED, the Tivo HD, and the Tivo HDXL. Which do you have?

That specific aside, I would suspect a power supply issue. IIRC, all lights lit on the front panel is a sure indicator. That, and the fact that you suffered a power outage. What caused the power outage? Whatever it was could have pushed your Tivo's power supply over the edge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
Ron DeGumbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
There are three models within the Series 3 platform, the Series 3 w/ OLED, the Tivo HD, and the Tivo HDXL. Which do you have?

That specific aside, I would suspect a power supply issue. IIRC, all lights lit on the front panel is a sure indicator. That, and the fact that you suffered a power outage. What caused the power outage? Whatever it was could have pushed your Tivo's power supply over the edge.
It's the first gen Series 3 with the OLED

As for the power, it was a area wide outage. The neighborhood I live in tends to have a power outage frequently during a heavy rain. Some times the power will just flicker off. Due to this and Tivos long boot up times I have the Tivo hooked up to a UPS w/ a line filter alongside my PC so they always get clean power.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:

The initial welcome screen is not on the hard drive, it's on the motherboard.

Only when the just a few more minutes screen comes up do you have evidence that the hard drive is being read from.

So, sounds more like power supply problems.

How are you with a soldering gun?

Do you like saving money?

But before we decide on the cure before finishing the diagnosis, is that the original hard drive in there?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Ron DeGumbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The initial welcome screen is not on the hard drive, it's on the motherboard.

Only when the just a few more minutes screen comes up do you have evidence that the hard drive is being read from.

So, sounds more like power supply problems.

How are you with a soldering gun?

Do you like saving money?

But before we decide on the cure before finishing the diagnosis, is that the original hard drive in there?
This is a completely stock OLED Series 3, have never opened this unit. Back in the day I have added a 2nd HDD to a Pioneer Tivo. I'd like to think I'm not completely hopeless mechanically.. so, I can use a soldering iron if needed to fix this puppy.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
This is a completely stock OLED Series 3, have never opened this unit. Back in the day I have added a 2nd HDD to a Pioneer Tivo. I'd like to think I'm not completely hopeless mechanically.. so, I can use a soldering iron if needed to fix this puppy.
If you opened up that Pioneer, then I assume you already have the necessary #10 Torx bit to get into the S3, so remember the first rule,

Always know where both ends of the TiVo's power cord are!

and unplug it from the wall (or UPS), then carefully work the other end out of the AC jack on the back of the TiVo.

Then open it up.

Have a good look at the capacitors on the power supply board.

If necessary, see the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague" and also search this site for the word "capacitor" to see some pictures of what to look for and how subtle the difference can be.

Assuming the original drive is a WD, use their diagnostic software to run the long test on the drive.

You can make yourself a copy of the current Ultimate Boot CD, and boot with that, and the WD utility is on there.

Have you any experience with a voltmeter?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Ron DeGumbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you any experience with a voltmeter?
No, no voltmeter experience. I believe I do have a cheap one in my toolbox though I've never used one personally.