TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Shanezam203

Backup DVD's electronicly or buy a 100 disc DVD changer?

I wish I had better luck with DVD Fab or Video Converter to rip my DVD's onto my PC and store on my 1 or 2 TB drive but I tried a few times and didn't have success getting them to play on my Tivo.

Do you suggest trying a 2nd time or getting a used 100+ DVD changer online and play the movies through a 2nd input?

Thank you,

Shane
Shanezam203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
pdcullen

I use AnyDVD and Handbrake, it is really simple. Depending on the movie, I pull it to the Premire with pyTivo, or I stream with kttmg. I suppose if I'd want to go to the S2 I would use AnyDVD and then something like VideoRedo's quickstreamfix to create an Mpeg.

I miss turning subs on and off easily, eventually I might try out a media player that can play isos.

I think the changer is a good idea for a small collection that is not growing fast.
pdcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Shanezam203

If I find a deal on a 100 or 400 DVD player and it's easy to Title the DVD's, I wouldn't mind picking one up.

Does anyone have expierance with Handbreak, does that rip a DVD and easily play it on the Tivo?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
tootal2

My sony 400 disc changer stopped working Dvd do look better when played on a good dvd player. They look almost like hd on my blu-ray player. also the newer blu-ray players open fast making it easy to change disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanezam203 View Post
If I find a deal on a 100 or 400 DVD player and it's easy to Title the DVD's, I wouldn't mind picking one up.

Does anyone have expierance with Handbreak, does that rip a DVD and easily play it on the Tivo?

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
I wish I had better luck with DVD Fab or Video Converter to rip my DVD's onto my PC and store on my 1 or 2 TB drive but I tried a few times and didn't have success getting them to play on my Tivo.
How are you trying to publish the content to your TiVo?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think Handbrake is a bad choice if your ultimate goal is to play the files on your TiVo. The reason being is that Handbrake converts everything to H.264. Not only does the initial conversion take a significant amount of time but when you transfer the recordings back to your TiVo they have to be recoded back to MPEG-2, which results in a loss of quality.

In fact there really isn't a good way to rip DVDs and play them on your TiVo. The biggest problem when converting from DVD to TiVo is actually the subtitles. DVDs store subtitles in a format which only DVD players understand. So the only way to display them on your TiVo is to recode the video and burn the subtitles right into the video. Now you may think that you don't need the subtitles, but trust me you do. A LOT of movies use the subtitle track of a DVD to actually store subtitles which are necessary to the enjoyment of the movie. For example these "forced subtitles" are used for when the aliens speak in Star Wars, and without them the movie becomes unwatchable in parts. There is also the issue with frame rates. DVDs tend to use a lot of repeat frames to convert 24fps film to 29.97fps NTSC. Older TiVos don't always handle these very well.

I personally think you're better off with a 400 dics changer. Or if you want to go all digital build yourself a media center PC and then rip your dics to ISO files, mount them using Virtual Clone Drive and play them back in something like PowerDVD. That way it'll be just like having the physical disc with all the subtitle tracks, audio tracks and extra features. There may even be some easy to use program with a 10' UI out there that makes this seamless. (XBMC?)

Noe if you only want to rip TV show DVDs then you'll probably be OK. Tehy usually have the forced subtitles burnt right into the video stream and are already NTSC formatted so they don't have much problems playing on the TiVo.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The biggest problem when converting from DVD to TiVo is actually the subtitles. DVDs store subtitles in a format which only DVD players understand. So the only way to display them on your TiVo is to recode the video and burn the subtitles right into the video.
Yeah, that really annoys me. I've been using DVDFab and VideoReDo to rip my DVDs for playback on the TiVos for years but it's always those DVDs with forced subtitles (like the Star Wars movies) that shows the flaw in my methods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
pmiranda

I thought there was a way to convert subtitles to closed captions?
Personally I find power dvd so clunky that I'd rather wait to rip a dvd and transfer it to TiVo than play it live.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Shanezam203

I found a Sony 400 disc DVD changer for cheap, I will try that & see if I can easily label the titles. It's nice there is a PS2 input for keyboard entry.

Thanks all,

Shane
Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Solman

Be Careful!

Before buying my pioneer 301 DVD, I researched both the Pioneer and Sony and some a lot of bad consumer reviews on the sony, which is why I went with the pioneer five years ago. This year I daisy-chained another pioneer for 601 discs. It is great. One remote and all dvds show up as though it is one unit. Title input is almost all automatic, but the ones that are not read can be put in by keyboard. I havent found anything it doesnt play, including dvd-r that I have from home movies. I was shocked that Sony had such bad feedback, which included destroying dvds. I have a lot of sony components and was really dissappointed when I read reviews. Tread carefully-many people regret ever owning it after the damage it did.

John
Solman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Solman

Be Careful! with reviews

Before buying my pioneer 301 DVD, I researched both the Pioneer and Sony and some a lot of bad consumer reviews on the sony, which is why I went with the pioneer five years ago. This year I daisy-chained another pioneer for 601 discs. It is great. One remote and all dvds show up as though it is one unit. Title input is almost all automatic, but the ones that are not read can be put in by keyboard. I havent found anything it doesnt play, including dvd-r that I have from home movies. I was shocked that Sony had such bad feedback, which included destroying dvds. I have a lot of sony components and was really dissappointed when I read reviews. Tread carefully-many people regret ever owning it after the damage it did.

Sony reviews: http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/dvd-..._user_reviews/

John
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
Solman

Same site-reviews on pioneer (caution there was only 2 for the pioneer):
http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/...oduct/sv=title

I can't say enough good things about the Pioneer. I just love my setup. I have these 2 changers, 2 Tivo series 3, 1 old series 2 tivo, a panasonic dvd recorder with a 400 gig hard drive (which can record off the tivos or the pioneer), all powered with a Denon receiver w/Ipod. Now the cool part, the video signal can be sent to any of my 10 tvs. I have a video switch that will send either cable, dvd, or tivo to any of those tvs. How do I have 10 tvs you ask. One in each of the 4 bedrooms, one in the master bath at the foot of the jacuzzi tub, one in the garage, one in the back yard,, one in my shop, living room, and one in the tuner of my desktop.

Yes, quite the hobby!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
nrnoble

Quote:

I strictly use AnyDVD and VideoRedo. Movies playback perfectly (Full digital audio) on the TiVo HD. AnyDVD rip time is about 5-8 minutes. About 5 minutes for VideoRedo to create a mpeg2 movie file. Been doing this for several years now without any problems.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
I think Handbrake is a bad choice if your ultimate goal is to play the files on your TiVo.
I agree.

Quote:
In fact there really isn't a good way to rip DVDs and play them on your TiVo.
Well, that depends on what one considers "good". It's far from perfect, and unfortunately I don't think the developer is working on it any more, but the DVD plug-in for pyTivo works fairly well. It definitely could use further development, but it mostly suits my purposes well enough. It definitely faster and easier than recoding or even transcoding.

Quote:
The biggest problem when converting from DVD to TiVo is actually the subtitles. DVDs store subtitles in a format which only DVD players understand. So the only way to display them on your TiVo is to recode the video and burn the subtitles right into the video. Now you may think that you don't need the subtitles, but trust me you do. A LOT of movies use the subtitle track of a DVD to actually store subtitles which are necessary to the enjoyment of the movie. For example these "forced subtitles" are used for when the aliens speak in Star Wars, and without them the movie becomes unwatchable in parts.
Hmm. You know, I don't think a single one of my rips has these types of subtitles. All of my Star Wars episodes, for example, were recorded from the CATV system. I don't really have all that many rips, when it comes down to it. I have HD recordings of most of the titles I have on DVD. Other than that, I only have 65 titles ripped from DVDs on my server.

Quote:
There is also the issue with frame rates. DVDs tend to use a lot of repeat frames to convert 24fps film to 29.97fps NTSC. Older TiVos don't always handle these very well.
Oh, well, I have S3 and THD TiVos.

Quote:
I personally think you're better off with a 400 dics changer.
I disagree. I have a 400 Disc changer. It never gets used. Until theBayer came out with the DVD plug-in, I virtually quit watching my DVDs altogether. It's just too much of a hassle, especially with many hundreds of titles available right from the TiVo NPL. YMMV, of course.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
I found a Sony 400 disc DVD changer for cheap, I will try that & see if I can easily label the titles. It's nice there is a PS2 input for keyboard entry.
Yeah, but it's a royal pain to use.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #16
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solman View Post
Before buying my pioneer 301 DVD, I researched both the Pioneer and Sony and some a lot of bad consumer reviews on the sony...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solman View Post
I was shocked that Sony had such bad feedback, which included destroying dvds. I have a lot of sony components and was really dissappointed when I read reviews. Tread carefully-many people regret ever owning it after the damage it did.
Yeah, I had one that did that. I didn't know it until I had to replace it with a new unit. The damage, however, was in every case recoverable. The mechanism scraped the surface of a number of DVDs, but not deep enough to reach the metallic layers. I was able to polish the scrapes out well enough to make the disks playable.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #17
noseph

I prefer watching my movies streamed to my S3. I use to have a Sony 400 Disc Changer, it was a pain to use, it had a flawed indexing feature (I had to maintain a spreadsheet with movies and slot in order to find anything). I also quickly out grew the Sony's capacity and gave the unit to a Movie Buff friend.

I invested the time and ripped my 800+ collection to VOB with DVDFab, then processed the VOBs thru VideoRedo QuickStreamFix. Finally processing the resulting MPG with WinFF to get a suitable MP4 that I can stream from my 3TB Synology NAS to my S3.

I stream with StreamBaby running on an ASRock ION 330 HTPC.

Last edited by noseph : 12-22-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added streaming info
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseph View Post
I invested the time and ripped my 800+ collection to VOB with DVDFab, then processed the VOBs thru VideoRedo QuickStreamFix. Finally processing the resulting MPG with WinFF to get a suitable MP4 that I can stream from my 3TB Synology NAS to my S3.
Ha .. that's exactly what I do (DVDFab -> QSF -> WinFF -> MP4). And it works pretty good except for the aforementioned subtitles issue.

|
Old 12-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
noseph

The toughest thing to figure out was the correct the correct preset command line to use with WinFF to maintain the AC3 audio, here is what I use -

-f mp4 -r 29.97 -vcodec libx264 -s 704x384 -b 1000kb -aspect 16:9 -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -deblockalpha 0 -deblockbeta 0 -b 1250k -maxrate 1500k -bufsize 4M -bt 256k -refs 1 -bf 3 -coder 1 -me_method umh -me_range 16 -subq 7 -partitions +parti4x4+parti8x8+partp8x8+partb8x8 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -level 30 -qmin 10 -qmax 51 -qcomp 0.6 -trellis 2 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -acodec copy -ab 112kb -ar 48000

The above is all one line.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
windracer
joined the 10k club

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've been using the MPEG-4 high-quality preset.

|
Old 12-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Ha .. that's exactly what I do (DVDFab -> QSF -> WinFF -> MP4). And it works pretty good except for the aforementioned subtitles issue.
That's an awful lot of processing. I just rip using DVD Decrypter to my DVD share directory.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That's an awful lot of processing. I just rip using DVD Decrypter to my DVD share directory.
True, but I've found straight DVD ripping to be unreliable so the QSF step is just a safety net. Then the MP4 conversion is just to save some space.

|
Old 12-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
Shanezam203

I picked up a Sony 301 disc DVD player for $50 and it's working fine.

Shane
Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #24
PaJo

We do have a Sony 400 disc changer and it is nice but a little tedious getting to the right dvd. Using the HD Tivo via pyTivo or our little Asus O!Play is much nicer, most time we use the Sony when we want to watch the extras on the dvd. I like Winff but prefer Handbrake for dvd backups.

Although the Winff settings posted previously in this thread work on my Kubuntu Maverick system, the encoding is really slow, about 2 fps.

I can use Handbrake 0.9.5 (also free) with the default or "normal" x264 settings and get about 10-14 fps with great quality. Handbrake has AC3 pass through audio option and our HD Tivo & Sony receiver likes the finished .m4v files with 5.1 sound. I prefer to change the default "constant quality" bit rate setting from 20 ( which is recommended for dvd ripping) to 16 or 17 which does produce a bigger file, but it is still less than half the size of the original dvd mpeg2 file.

The Handbrake website is:

http://handbrake.fr/

On edit: Some movies I still prefer to keep as mpg/vob just as we have some complete dvds backed up as .iso file. As you know the .iso does not play on the HD Tivo but we can play the .iso files on the Asus O!PLay, but even that will not play all the extras , some times the menu options for the extras will not play, but the movie and scene selections etc work OK.

Last edited by PaJo : 01-08-2011 at 08:52 AM.
PaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #25
mchief
Morey

I rip (mostly blu-rays now) with AnyDVD and then use DVDFab to extract movie only. The movie is copied to a bare HDD in a dock. Another dock is attached via USB to a Patriot Box Office media server. Just move the HDD to the dock and away we go including subtitles. Nothing I have thrown at the Box Office has failed to play. TIVO is now for TV recording.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #26
PaJo

I keep a usb drive hooked up to the Asus player and use the ftp server to copy the files to it, the Asus does have a file manager, but it is much slower than just using ftp in the background. I usually use the latest beta of DVDFAB and it has not failed to copy any dvd, and as with others I use the VOB pass through option for a single file to send to the HDTIVO as well as the Asus, and it is pretty fast - even if you process the file with something like VideoRedo quick stream fix it only takes 10-15 minutes. However, it does save room to compress the finished files, and that is where Handbrake comes into play.
PaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #27
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaJo View Post
I keep a usb drive hooked up to the Asus player and use the ftp server to copy the files to it, the Asus does have a file manager, but it is much slower than just using ftp in the background. I usually use the latest beta of DVDFAB and it has not failed to copy any dvd, and as with others I use the VOB pass through option for a single file to send to the HDTIVO as well as the Asus, and it is pretty fast - even if you process the file with something like VideoRedo quick stream fix it only takes 10-15 minutes. However, it does save room to compress the finished files, and that is where Handbrake comes into play.
I tried that with a WD player but it doesn't play all the formats my movies are in.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #28
aDarkling

Just a thought here, but has anyone tried setting up a fileserver with an extensible drive array? A couple reasons for this:

It's cheaper. Hard drives run about $.04 to $.08 per GB, versus $.08 to $.19 per GB for DVDs;

Less space: a 1 TB drive is much smaller than 227 DVDs;

Power consumption can be mitigated by setting the drives to sleep until accessed;

and subtitles won't be a problem anymore since you don't even have to reencode the files!

Last edited by aDarkling : 02-19-2011 at 05:02 PM.
aDarkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
Shanezam203

Some DVD's are not allowing me to copy them with Handbrake, it's saying copy write protected. are there any ways around that?

I'd like to copy the DVD to my PC, and then put it in my Tivo Recordings folder...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #30
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Personally, I use AnyDVD. It costs money, but it is constantly updated to handle new encryption methods.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/

I've used DVD43 in the past. It's free, but it doesn't always work.

http://www.dvd43.com/

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote