TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
pmyers

Shark Tank OAD 09/14/2012

I really don't like when the Sharks "collude". To me, it goes against the very premise of the show that the Sharks are supposed to feed on each other when there is a product/idea that is worthy.

I actually loved that coat check idea. I think it would be great for arenas and concerts.

I think it would be better if it was totally automatic so that you wouldn't have to employ anybody to run it.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Hank
AC•FTW

Yeah, I thought Cuban was going to out them all and make a better side deal for himself. ("these guys are colluding and trying to screw you.. I'll offer you a better deal!"). That's why collusion only works if they're all in. In fact, I think I was really hoping Cuban was going to do that.

But I'm not sure about the bed bug thing. If I go into a hotel, and put that thing down and there are bed bugs, what then? Switch rooms? Sure, try it again. More bugs. Switch rooms. Then what, switch hotels? Sure, nobody wants BBs, but what exactly is the utility of the product? It's not like it collects and kills them all in 10 minutes. Is it just detection?

I agree with one of the sharks about CoatChex -- it just takes too long. Sometimes technology *isn't* the solution to every problem. And if they're going to use technology, use a fingerprint scanner, not a face scan the clerk has to recognize. And what if we're in a group, and one of us goes to get the car, and the other goes and gets the coats for more than one person? A device like that would really slow down the process. Here's two $1 bills, give me my ticket, gone. No credit card swipe or face pictures.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
...I agree with one of the sharks about CoatChex -- it just takes too long. Sometimes technology *isn't* the solution to every problem. And if they're going to use technology, use a fingerprint scanner, not a face scan the clerk has to recognize. And what if we're in a group, and one of us goes to get the car, and the other goes and gets the coats for more than one person? A device like that would really slow down the process. Here's two $1 bills, give me my ticket, gone. No credit card swipe or face pictures.
I didn't really see that concept as about saving time. I saw it more along the lines of being able to drop this kiosk in anywhere it would be needed. So a place that didn't already have a coat check could now have one.

I equate it to the kiosks at airports where you can rent a cart.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
pmyers

Quote:
...But I'm not sure about the bed bug thing. If I go into a hotel, and put that thing down and there are bed bugs, what then? Switch rooms? Sure, try it again. More bugs. Switch rooms. Then what, switch hotels? Sure, nobody wants BBs, but what exactly is the utility of the product? It's not like it collects and kills them all in 10 minutes. Is it just detection?...
I totally agree....So I determine my hotel room has Bed bugs....now what?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I totally agree....So I determine my hotel room has Bed bugs....now what?
I didn't see how it was anything more than a piece of glue paper.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I didn't see how it was anything more than a piece of glue paper.
Seemed more like a "fear product" where it is just building on the wave of bed bug fears to give people some type of false security.....brilliant!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Hank
AC•FTW

Also, I really hate it when people (especially the really young entrepreneurs) say they have a patent on some widget. No way that have a real patent on those things. First of all, it takes thousands of dollars to file a patent application, and it takes years to get it approve/issued (if at all). I think most of the time for the "newer" products they might have a provisional patent, or a pending patent application, but I'm sure very few of them have an actual, USPTO issued patent. I wish more of the sharks would call them on this ("do you have an actual patent, or just a patent application?"). But I guess the producers think that's probably to complicated for the average viewing audience to understand.

The bed bug girls said they had patents in 50 different countries? Somehow I just don't buy that.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
pmyers

Quote:
...The bed bug girls said they had patents in 50 different countries? Somehow I just don't buy that.
I think they said the name/logo were trademarked in 50 countries....but it still sounded bogus to me.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
ElJay

The bed bug product made no sense to me... Are you supposed to flip up your mattress and look at it every day to see if some were trapped? It seems like this product only works as an early detection system if that's what you actually do. I guess the point is people will buy it and then not use it properly (or expect it to somehow trap a whole swarm of them), but that doesn't matter to the sharks.

Coat Chex just wasn't a good idea. I think if he had beta tested it, like the Sharks suggested, he would've found that out on his own.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
inaka

Quote:
I really don't like when the Sharks "collude". To me, it goes against the very premise of the show that the Sharks are supposed to feed on each other when there is a product/idea that is worthy.
Yup, I agree 100%.

In the history of the show, whenever a shark asks, "Do you mind leaving the room for a moment?" the person is screwed on the offer when they come back in the shark tank. So the general rule of thumb should be: NEVER LEAVE THE ROOM IF THEY ASK YOU!
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
Jebberwocky!

Some places have real bed bug issues, I can see that tester or early warning system being beneficial.

If I put the tester and it quickly shows that there are a bunch of bed bugs I consider that a good thing. I'm not asking for a new room, I'm asking for my money back and moving on to the next place.

Bed bugs in certain parts of the country are a big issue.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
Some places have real bed bug issues, I can see that tester or early warning system being beneficial.

If I put the tester and it quickly shows that there are a bunch of bed bugs I consider that a good thing. I'm not asking for a new room, I'm asking for my money back and moving on to the next place.

Bed bugs in certain parts of the country are a big issue.
Problem is....if the room is infected that bad, chances are they are now on you or in your luggage and will just follow you.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Jebberwocky!

Quote:
Problem is....if the room is infected that bad, chances are they are now on you or in your luggage and will just follow you.
probable not unless you opened them on the bed and spread your clothes out. You would test before they had a chance to infect.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Mikeyis4dcats

I would think by the time the tester showed a problem, you've already been in the room for some time and it may be too late. I can't imagine it's a matter of a few minutes.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
mwhip
All better

I think Cuban was initially interested in the coat check thing just for the software. He saw it as an iPad app like Square for businesses that use tickets like dry cleaners. Then he saw how very little work the kid had did and made him and offer on how much time Cuban would have to spend doing it and the kid walked. Not a bad thing.

I like the updates and was not surprised the eye glass holder made money. It is cheap to make and cheap to own to even if you lose it you can replace it cheaply.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
I would think by the time the tester showed a problem, you've already been in the room for some time and it may be too late. I can't imagine it's a matter of a few minutes.
Exactly my thoughts. If it took an hour it's already too late.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
bruinfan

Quote:
but the point is, i know there were bugs... i'm throwing everything away... i don't want to bring that back to my house.

i love the idea, if it works... and the hotels would use them as an early detection... the housekeepers check them everyday and they know if they have a problem, contain it, and eradicate it... it's a genius idea with a huge need... if it works.... why isn't this already being done?????
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
inaka

Quote:
Not necessarily.

If you check into a hotel at around 4pm, let's say. You can keep most of the items in your bag and just insert the bug detectors. After you come back from working, sight seeing, dinner, etc., if you see bugs in the trap, you GTFO.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
Seemed more like a "fear product" where it is just building on the wave of bed bug fears to give people some type of false security.....brilliant!
So, it'll be just as effective as organic food!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
In the history of the show, whenever a shark asks, "Do you mind leaving the room for a moment?"
How often has that happened before? I can't think of examples.. Maybe one or two?

I actually don't mind the "collusion" once in a while.

Do you people who are against it also disagree with it when it's only a few of them together?

BTW, there are really places that cost $10-20 to check your coat??!! That's as much as I'd expect to pay for DINNER.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #21
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
How often has that happened before? I can't think of examples.. Maybe one or two?
It's happened at least five times, I'd say.

Usually two sharks going head to head (Like O'Leary and Cuban) and when they ask the person to leave the room, they collude to join in on a deal.

I also remember it happening with Kevin Harrington on one deal.

It also happened when Damon and Robert went in on a deal together.

I even remember one where O'Leary wasn't even in on a deal, was already out and when the person left the room, he said Cuban gave up WAY too much by saying "in perpetuity" in a commission deal offer, rather than just until Cuban got his initial investment back, then the commission should end. And they totally slipped that in as if it was nothing. It was a huge change to the deal.

Each time the people got a scaled back offer, or a collusion offer that negated the original offer on the table before they left the room.

If Cuban can do his "24 second clock" approach (which doesn't allow the pitchman the opportunity to leave the room and think,) then if I had two competing offers on the table from two sharks, I would never leave the room.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #22
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
Coat Chex just wasn't a good idea. I think if he had beta tested it, like the Sharks suggested, he would've found that out on his own.
Can't believe his professor partner is advising him so poorly; guess years in academia means those that can do..those that can't teach. Dude was in prototype stage, he had no numbers to give the Sharks on average gross per unit install cause..'it was too warm' nor had he even tested it anywhere to work out the bugs...then he passes on the offer so he has the money to you know actually refine the product and business plan.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
newsposter
Poster of News

when the ep started i thought the coat check thing was gonna be totally automatic...i dont get why he didnt totally automate it with rotating carousels and stuff

i recently was in philly and drove my car in the 'spot' put my CC in the machine and the car was whisked away automatically to an upstairs parking spot..came out of the restaurant and put the CC in the machine and the computer got my car for me.

if they can auto park my car...why not my coat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
Hank
AC•FTW

His "professor" also seemed pretty green (young).
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
if they can auto park my car...why not my coat?
I think the difference is that for alot of coat checks, there are two mad rush times -- the start of the event and the end. Any automatic spooling system could take forever to roll back and forth for each coat. And what if it breaks down? It's alot faster to have a human go directly to the coat and retrieve it. And what if there's an error? It works for dry-cleaners because they don't have the same rush problem and there's always someone there to help in case of a problem. And additionally, an automatic system would be a huge hardware install -- I think the Coatchex thing was intended to be temporary -- several large coat racks and an iPad.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

I actually don't mind the "collusion" once in a while.

Do you people who are against it also disagree with it when it's only a few of them together?

BTW, there are really places that cost $10-20 to check your coat??!! That's as much as I'd expect to pay for DINNER.
Of the top of my head, I'd say probably 4-5 times but it ALWAYS involves the Sharks getting a better deal and the inventor less money. That's why I have a problem with it.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
pmyers

Quote:
I think the difference is that for alot of coat checks, there are two mad rush times -- the start of the event and the end. Any automatic spooling system could take forever to roll back and forth for each coat. And what if it breaks down? It's alot faster to have a human go directly to the coat and retrieve it. And what if there's an error? It works for dry-cleaners because they don't have the same rush problem and there's always someone there to help in case of a problem. And additionally, an automatic system would be a huge hardware install -- I think the Coatchex thing was intended to be temporary -- several large coat racks and an iPad.
I too think the key would be total automation but I can see your point about beginning and end of concerts/etc. But I think the real potential is in the technology that can be used for other markets where there wouldn't be that bottleneck
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
newsposter
Poster of News

how about A-H, I - R and S - Z coat checks would triple the speed

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wonder how many of the deals fall through and never get done.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #30
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I wonder how many of the deals fall through and never get done.
I bet it's a decent number. The agreements on the show are not binding and there is a round of further vetting after the events on the show.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote