TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Announcing: TiVo Stream! Now available

Official press release: http://pr.tivo.com/press-releases/ti...q-tivo-0927032

TiVo Launches TiVo Stream, Enabling Subscribers to Watch Recordings on Their iPads for the First Time

Finally, Viewers' Favorite Recorded Shows Can Be Streamed on any iPad, iPhone or iPod touch in the House or Loaded Up to Take on Any Trip

ALVISO, CA--(Marketwire - Sep 6, 2012) - TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), a leader in the advanced television entertainment market, today announced the launch of its TiVo® Stream, an accessory allowing TiVo® Premiere DVR users to watch recordings on their iPads or for the first time instantly stream their favorite shows and DVR content to their iPad®, iPhone® or iPod touch® in the house without interrupting normal viewing on the television. TiVo Stream is also the ideal TiVo accessory for entertainment fans on-the-go; allowing users to load it up and take their favorite recordings on any trip.*

"Finally, consumers can have the flexibility they have long demanded by enjoying their favorite entertainment content anywhere -- be it at home, in the air, or on-the-road," said Jim Denney, GM and VP of Product Marketing for TiVo Inc. "With the launch of TiVo Stream, we are ushering in a new era of flexibility, empowering our users to watch their recorded entertainment regardless of location. The ability to quickly and easily stream content to second screens like smartphones and tablets via the TiVo app helps TiVo users get even more from their TV-watching experience."

First Simultaneous Streaming and Download of Recorded Content
TiVo Stream is the first device to enable simultaneous streaming or downloading of recorded shows to up to four mobile devices without interrupting what is currently playing on TV.

With support for up to four streams at once, users can now watch previously recorded and currently recording content over their home network, allowing mom to enjoy her favorite cooking program in the kitchen, dad to stay on top of the game while in the garage, and give the kids an opportunity to catch up with their favorite cartoons in the backyard.

For on-the-go users, TiVo Stream allows TV fans to download recordings from their TiVo Premiere DVR for viewing later outside of the home, via TiVo's app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch*. Users can download a one hour show to their mobile device in as little as 15 minutes and view it later even when not connected to a network. TiVo knows a device's storage space is sacred, and lets users know how much space is required prior to downloading and gives them a choice of two file sizes, making it ideal for travelers.

Award-Winning User Experience
Harnessing the power of the world's most innovative user experience, TiVo Stream takes advantage of TiVo's intuitive search and browsing experience that enables users to quickly and easily find or discover television and broadband programs, then converts it to a format that's easily viewable or downloadable to a compatible second-screen device. Additionally, content plays in the TiVo app, allowing users to navigate features such as cast information, or scrub through a show. This compatibility creates a consistent experience -- no matter where users watch.

The TiVo Stream is compatible with TiVo's line-up of Premiere DVR products, including TiVo Premiere, TiVo Premiere XL, TiVo Premiere 4 and TiVo Premiere XL4. It requires TiVo's free app for iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to bring an intuitive on-screen experience and remote control operations to users' compatible devices.

TiVo Stream Specifications and Requirements:

* Compatible TiVo products:
- TiVo Premiere
- TiVo Premiere XL
- TiVo Premiere 4
- TiVo Premiere XL4 (previously Premiere Elite)
* Inputs: Gigabit Ethernet, 12v DC power
* Dimensions: 4" x 4" x 1.05"
* Weight: 0.3 pounds
* Requires wired connection between TiVo DVR and wireless router (Ethernet or MoCA)
* Requires one or more iPad, iPhone or iPod touch devices running iOS5.1 or later
- For a list of supported devices, please visit www.tivo.com/stream
* Requires free TiVo App for iPad, iPhone or other supported device
* The TiVo Stream incorporates TiVoGuard for Mobile, a CableLabs-approved content protection technology

The TiVo Stream is now available through tivo.com and coming soon to most Best Buy and Magnolia Home Theater stores, with an MSRP of $129.99. For more information on the product, please visit www.tivo.com/stream.

*Ability to download content subject to rights management policies of programmers in accordance with FCC rules.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

This product is now on sale at tivo.com for $129.99! (No monthly fee.)

From http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-stream/index.html

TiVo Stream adds flexibility to your TiVo experience by letting you stream shows to mobile devices in your home, or wirelessly transfer shows and take them to go.

* Stream your recorded shows from your TiVo Premiere series DVR simultaneously to multiple mobile devices
* Watch a show on a mobile device as it’s being recorded
* Wirelessly transfer shows to mobile devices
* Transfer a one-hour show in as little as 15 minutes"

TIVo Stream Spotlight video:

TiVo Stream Spotlight
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

TiVo Stream Tutorial video:

TiVo Stream Tutorial
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

WSJ review and video review: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...154596142.html - "After using TiVo Stream in my home, I'm dreading sending it back after this column publishes, as is my policy for returning products. Without calling the cable company or buying new televisions, I was suddenly able to watch TV in several rooms of my house. As I chopped vegetables in the kitchen, I watched a streaming episode of the Food Network's "Barefoot Contessa" for inspiration. I watched the ending to an old favorite movie, "My Best Friend's Wedding," from the comfort of my bed rather than from the living room. I even played live U.S. Open tennis matches in the bathroom while doing my makeup so as not to miss a minute of my favorite tennis tournament. At one point, I had a Kim Clijsters tennis match simultaneously playing on my TV, on two iPads and on an iPhone."

(Requires a TiVo Premiere with a wired or MoCA connection to your network, and one or more iOS devices.)

Available soon from Best Buy or now from TiVo.com.

I didn't work on this, but congrats to the team here at TiVo that did -- this works really well, and the early reviews are very positive.

Questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I pre-ordered one and got it yesterday. It's pretty great!

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still don't understand the TiVo Stream Spotlight video. They say in the video that you can stream to any tablet or smart phone connected to your home network. But then in fine print, at the bottom, it says it's only for the iPad, iPhone and the iPod Touch. So why not just say that it's for apple products the Spotlight Video?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-06-2012 at 01:16 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Dan, great to hear that!

aaronwt, that's a good question. I'll just quote from the support article (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...05/kw/stream): "At this time, the TiVo Stream does not support Android and other mobile devices."

I accidentally bolded the first three words but I cannot disclose why. I wish I could put in something definitive here, but for now, this is for iOS devices only.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
dugbug

wonder if the tivo apps will support airplay. Then my phone could throw the stream onto my tv.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post

Questions?
are there any plans to up update Tivo Desktop to take advantage of the stream?

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

How long do we have to wait for Android compatibility, like we did for the TiVo app?
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
TishTash

Got mine too, works like a charm, and as a bonus, you can stream copy-protected files (i.e., HBO) as well (although you can't download them, natch).

For the rest of you: Now's the perfect excuse to finally get an iPhone or iPad!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
dugbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishTash View Post
Got mine too, works like a charm, and as a bonus, you can stream copy-protected files (i.e., HBO) as well (although you can't download them, natch).

For the rest of you: Now's the perfect excuse to finally get an iPhone or iPad!
can you airplay the tivo stream from your ios device?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't have an Apple TV so I can't test that. But for streaming to another TV you're probably better off waiting for the Mini.

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
are there any plans to up update Tivo Desktop to take advantage of the stream?
Yes this please. Or at least could someone leak details to wmcbrine or moyekj so we can get it unofficially working with PyTiVo and KMTTG.

It does look like a nice little product though.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
How long do we have to wait for Android compatibility, like we did for the TiVo app?
Asked a million times already. The best answer we have has been provided just a few posts before yours.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
dugbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't have an Apple TV so I can't test that. But for streaming to another TV you're probably better off waiting for the Mini.

Dan
Oh I thought that was what this was. The one nice thing about the tivo stream if it airplays is that I can use my apple tv as the front end TV GUI.

So is the Mini the tivo box that steals an encoder from another home unit
-d
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
gsr852

And of course long time Tivo owners/subscribers are left in the dust... I have purchased 3 units since 2001 each had a lifetime subscription.

Do we have to be penalized if we can't keep putting out money for the latest and greatest? These new features seem software based , so why must loyal customers "pay" because they can't keep paying for new equipment AND a new subcription ($100 discount still equals $399.99)?

I'm sorry to all, I felt the need to vent
gsr852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
jrtroo
User

There is little doubt that the older hardware could not support this functionality. Ever try to move content off of a pre-premiere unit?

Software is obviously updated, but clearly, this is hardware at its finest.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
gsr852

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
There is little doubt that the older hardware could not support this functionality. Ever try to move content off of a pre-premiere unit?

Software is obviously updated, but clearly, this is hardware at its finest.
With all due respect, I "move content" to and from my Tivo series 3 all the time. If I can stream Xfinity content to my apple device, via Xfinity's app (owning hardware that is as old as my Tivo) then I find it hard to believe the same can not be done via Tivo. If Tivo made it more affordable to migrate to new hardware (once again I refer to the cost associated to get "new service" when upgrading Tivo hardware) this would be a non-issue.
gsr852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
dugbug

Believe the limit is the USB driver. I can however transfer an sd show from a series 2 in faster than real time. Would be nice is streamer could offer this over enet.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
jrtroo
User

You are moving three streams of content from your S-3 concurrently? And this is taking place at a pace of a 1hr show in ~20 minutes, so you can fast forward seemlessly? An S-3 cannot output over ethernet that quickly.

Want what you want, that is fine. But, it's not a conspiracy against you. It is hardware moving on.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Oh So is the Mini the tivo box that steals an encoder from another home unit
Yes

Dan
Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
Thunderclap

While I like the idea of Tivo Stream, the $130 price point is the deal breaker for me. Pass.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Royster
Beardy

No Android == FAIL

"I <3 Royster" Polcamilla, jtlytle, danielhart
"Royster, you rock!" Olive Juice, ClassicX, betts4
"I mostly blame Royster" Jesda
Royster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
PTFunk

Wired connection required?

Why does the Tivo Stream require a wired network connection? I thought wireless (especially Wireless N) had enough bandwidth to stream, even in HD.

Perhaps a pre-configured plug-in wireless adapter (such as Tivo's own adapter that I use with my Premiere) can be used? Or maybe I could connect the Stream into a second wireless router that talks to my main wireless router?
PTFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

It will work if you connect it to a wireless bridge. And if your WiFi network is setup properly it shouldn't have an issue. The problem is that most WiFi networks are not setup properly so people aren't able to achieve optimum bandwidth.
Which will cause issues especially when streaming HD.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Questions?
Will this work on the iPad Mini?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #26
mrizzo80

What percentage of Android devices are running 4.0+ right now? Not many.

4.0 was the first version to support DRM I think. I doubt Streaming will be enabled on anything less than 4.0. So I think the addressable Android user base is probably pretty small right now.

So TiVo has 2 options: simply say the Android version is not available yet. Or release it now but have it not work on the overwhelming majority of devices and take heat from their users. I think they chose the former.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post
And of course long time Tivo owners/subscribers are left in the dust... I have purchased 3 units since 2001 each had a lifetime subscription.

Do we have to be penalized if we can't keep putting out money for the latest and greatest? These new features seem software based , so why must loyal customers "pay" because they can't keep paying for new equipment AND a new subcription ($100 discount still equals $399.99)?

I'm sorry to all, I felt the need to vent
And I'm still waiting for my original Droid to get updated to Jelly Bean, like my Galaxy S3 runs.

Oh wait, it won't.

Enough already with the "I need to vent...". It ain't gonna happen. They're not screwing you, they're providing NEW functionality to newer devices. Just like every other electronic manuf in the world.

Remember, they aren't removing any functionality from your older devices. Simply not putting the latest apps on them.

Get over it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #28
dugbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
No Android == FAIL

Hurt feelings?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
cosmarc

Ethernet Connection

I have a wireless N adapter that is going into my Tivo Premiere - using the ethernet connection opening. How will I use this if I need that port for the Tivo Stream device?

Thank you
cosmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
cwoody222

I already have a Slingbox so I don't need this.

But is there a way to transfer shows I download to my PC (Mac) into the newly updated App? Or do I have to transfer the shows the traditional way via iTunes, to the iOS default Video app?