TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
zubinh

Best Place to Purchase XL4 & Stream - Best Buy or Tivo??

Gents, Need some advice on where would be the best place to upgrade from my Tivo HD to an XL4 and Tivo Stream. I live in NY so I'll pay sales tax either way. But it looks like Best Buy offers a 4 year Geek Squad extended warranty on the XL4 whereas Tivo only offers a 3 year extended warranty. Does anyone have any experience with these warranty providers? (I checked Squaretrade and they are not competitive)

If I get it from Best Buy I assume it's pretty easy to purchase lifetime service from Tivo? Does Tivo ever throw in any incentives or discounts when ordering over the phone?

THANKS!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo has a 4 year warranty too, you just have to ask for it. I don't think they offer a warranty on the Stream though so if you were going to do that you'llrobably have to go with BB. As for incentives... yes. I think I read about another poster that got a free slide remote for ordering the combination you want.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TiVo has a 4 year warranty too, you just have to ask for it. I don't think they offer a warranty on the Stream though so if you were going to do that you'llrobably have to go with BB. As for incentives... yes. I think I read about another poster that got a free slide remote for ordering the combination you want.

Dan
Really? TiVo has a four year warranty? I wish I would have known this when the Premiere was released. No one from TiVo ever mentioned it to me. Although I never asked either. I figured whatever warranties they had would have showed up online.

How much does the TiVo four year warranty cost for a Premiere?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
celtic pride

I wish i had known tha best buy had a 4 year warranty also!I bought both my tivos at best buy but bought the warranty from tivo,I would of prefered to of bought the tivo warranty from best buy that way if it went bad i could just return and exchange it the same day.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Really? TiVo has a four year warranty? I wish I would have known this when the Premiere was released. No one from TiVo ever mentioned it to me. Although I never asked either. I figured whatever warranties they had would have showed up online.

How much does the TiVo four year warranty cost for a Premiere?
No I was wrong. It's only 3 years. I knew they offered two options, I thought they were 3 and 4, but apparently they were 2 and 3. Sorry.

Dan
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
mattack

If you get a BB credit card, you can get 4% back.. So that would be an argument for BB.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
UCLABB

Why not Amazon? Cheaper and no sales tax, at least for the next three days in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
Gents, Need some advice on where would be the best place to upgrade from my Tivo HD to an XL4 and Tivo Stream. I live in NY so I'll pay sales tax either way. But it looks like Best Buy offers a 4 year Geek Squad extended warranty on the XL4 whereas Tivo only offers a 3 year extended warranty. Does anyone have any experience with these warranty providers? (I checked Squaretrade and they are not competitive)

If I get it from Best Buy I assume it's pretty easy to purchase lifetime service from Tivo? Does Tivo ever throw in any incentives or discounts when ordering over the phone?

THANKS!

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
sneagle
Addicted Member

To add to the question...are there still ways to get lifetime for less on a new Premiere if I have lifetime in my TiVo HD?
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
alyssa

that would be an excellent question for the tivo folks before you buy. In other words, on occasion i have found tivo cs agents able to deal especially if I'm planing on buying big ticket items.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
bmgoodman

I went with purchasing from BB and their 4 year warranty. It was the same price as buying directly from Tivo with a 3 year warranty. Though I did have to pay sales tax. But because it was a gift, I wanted the recipient to be able to exchange it quickly if necessary, rather than shipping it off somewhere.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
alyssa

to my mind the warranty is not worth it. 90% of the time the problem is the HDD which is easier to fix yourself & save the pairing & show (if caught early)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
chiguy50

Quote:

THANKS!
If you are looking for the best price on a new unit, any authorized retailer will do. I recommend that you check prices on-line and then call Electronics Expo (888-707-3976) and ask the CSR for their best price; they will often undercut the competition.

Warranties are usually not worth the price at which they are offered by retailers, although there is a case to be made if you are investing in a high-end unit such as the XL4 at around $800 including PLS. Bear in mind that the TiVo warranties are from a third-party (you will be dealing with Service Net Solutions of Florida, LLC. for warranty service, not TiVo) and are one-use only (in other words, the warranty expires after the first time you use it regardless of how much time may be left on the warranty period). I don't have any personal experience with Best Buy's Geek Squad but they don't have a good reputation for service and their warranties are known to be a big profit-maker for Best Buy.

You can get the PLS from TiVo on a Premiere regardless of where you buy the unit.

You can always try to negotiate and your success will vary depending on a number of factors. In the past, I've gotten free accessories and discounted DVR pricing (or a new unit at the price of a refurbished unit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneagle View Post
To add to the question...are there still ways to get lifetime for less on a new Premiere if I have lifetime in my TiVo HD?
If you are asking whether the Series3 PLS qualifies your account for multi-service discount on the Series4, the answer is yes.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
zubinh

Thanks so much! Had no idea the Tivo warranty can only be used once and is issued by a third party. Amazon charges NY residents sales tax so no advantage for me to go there. I think given the ease at which I can return the unit to Best Buy with their warranty gives them a step up. I know most issues are hard drive issues but $70 for 4 years worth of coverage where I can just drive 2 miles and get it replaced seems like a good deal. Now I just have to find a good BB coupon.....
Old 09-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
sneagle
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
If you are asking whether the Series3 PLS qualifies your account for multi-service discount on the Series4, the answer is yes.
Actually I am wondering if I can get lifetime in on a new Premiere for less than $399.
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneagle View Post
Actually I am wondering if I can get lifetime in on a new Premiere for less than $399.
Very unlikely, unless you have a coupon or TiVo accepts responsibility for some glitch in your previous service. The service fees are TiVo's main source of revenue (they reportedly make very little if any profit on the DVR's) and they are currently in need of growing those revenues. It is my understanding that not even employees can get PLS for less than $399 (although I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are exceptions to the rule).

Regardless of the foregoing, I always ask for a discount. After all, the worst that can happen is that they say no.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Thanks so much! Had no idea the Tivo warranty can only be used once and is issued by a third party. Amazon charges NY residents sales tax so no advantage for me to go there. I think given the ease at which I can return the unit to Best Buy with their warranty gives them a step up. I know most issues are hard drive issues but $70 for 4 years worth of coverage where I can just drive 2 miles and get it replaced seems like a good deal. Now I just have to find a good BB coupon.....

The Best Buy warranty will also only be used once if the unit is replaced. Although it stays in force if the unit is repaired. With the TiVo warranty the TiVo is always replaced which is why it can only be used once.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
chiguy50

Quote:
I would also point out that IMO if your unit is defective, it will likely be apparent within the initial 90-day TiVo replacement warranty period. The extended warranty is only worthwhile for peace of mind in case of a problem down the road, such as a power supply or HDD or other hardware failure (and even then, you can often swap out the defective part yourself). Also bear in mind that any extended warranty will overlap (i.e., duplicate) the TiVo "90 Days Free Labor/One Year Parts Exchange" warranty that comes with your DVR, so you're actually paying twice for the initial coverage. Also, if your DVR is replaced under the BB warranty, you will likely not be able to transfer the PLS to the new unit. Under that scenario, I would say that 3 years for $40 from TiVo is a far better deal than 4 years for $70 with no PLS coverage.

Now, I actually purchased the TiVo 3-year warranty myself on my Premiere Elite, only because of the enormous investment the Elite represents together with the PLS. But I almost never bite on extended warranties; as Consumer Reports confirms, you generally come out ahead by essentially self-insuring, as I have done for my three other TiVos and the rest of my audio-video equipment.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
zubinh

Thanks again Chiguy. I totally forgot about not being able to transfer PLS if I get a replacement. Now I'm back to buying from Tivo.

Aaronwt - If the unit is replaced by Tivo, do they offer you the option of buying the extended warranty on the replacement?

I never bite on Warranties either but spending $40 on an $800 device with a history of unreliability makes sense I think.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
chiguy50

Quote:
Thanks again Chiguy. I totally forgot about not being able to transfer PLS if I get a replacement. Now I'm back to buying from Tivo.

Aaronwt - If the unit is replaced by Tivo, do they offer you the option of buying the extended warranty on the replacement?

I never bite on Warranties either but spending $40 on an $800 device with a history of unreliability makes sense I think.
Yes
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
to my mind the warranty is not worth it. 90% of the time the problem is the HDD which is easier to fix yourself & save the pairing & show (if caught early)
I know several of us got it on the Elite at Best Buy. The big advantage is if the hard drive goes bad and it is no longer a stocked model they give you your money back or give you the current model. Sure you could replace the hard drive, but this way if a new model is out you have that as an option for replacement.

I also have it on my Premieres, but I bought those at launch when drive upgrades were unknown due to the new file structure.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't usually buy warranties, but with the lifetime service I paid almost $700 for the Elite so the $25 for the 3 year warranty seemed like a no brainer. If it doesn't ever break then great, the warranty only cost me $0.70/mo anyway. If it does then I'll save myself the cost of having it repaired or replaced.

Dan
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #22
mrsean

Quote:
I'm assuming that you're referring to the TiVo software because there is no history of unreliability with any TiVo hardware as far as I know.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
alyssa

I don't know how these stack up but it's another data point
http://www.weaknees.com/premiere4-debut.php?code=120178

Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
I don't know how these stack up but it's another data point
http://www.weaknees.com/premiere4-debut.php?code=120178
Weaknees pricing is off. They charge $449 for a Premiere 4 upgraded to 2TB. The XL4 also has a 2TB drive and is only $399. Why would you buy an upgraded 4, with lesser remote and no THX, for $50 more then an official product with the same drive space? Do they offer some sort of extended warranty built in?

Dan
Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Weaknees pricing is off. They charge $449 for a Premiere 4 upgraded to 2TB. The XL4 also has a 2TB drive and is only $399. Why would you buy an upgraded 4, with lesser remote and no THX, for $50 more then an official product with the same drive space? Do they offer some sort of extended warranty built in?

Dan
OTA
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #26
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
OTA
Premiere 4 doesnt support OTA
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
OTA
The Premiere 4 is a lower version of an XL4. They use the same basic hardware (no OTA) but the Premiere 4 has only a 500GB hard drive, no THX certification and a cheaper remote. It looks like Weaknees is taking these cheaper units and upgrading them to 2TB themselves. However the real XL4 has the same hard drive space, is $50 cheaper, has THX cert and the nicer Glo remote. So I was simply wondering why would anyone buy the 2TB Premiere 4 from Weaknees? I thought maybe they included a better warranty or something to make up the difference.

Dan
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
tbielowicz

Square Trade is always worth a look

Don't forget about a square trade warranty on the unit. I used a 30% coupon code for a 3 yr warranty. I have had great experiences with their warranties.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #29
agredon

I bought my Premiere at Best Buy. Their warranty was cheaper than TiVo's and I can take it into the store if anything ever happens. Plus, I got a free slide remote [though, only after a lot of hassle.]
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #30
zubinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by agredon View Post
I bought my Premiere at Best Buy. Their warranty was cheaper than TiVo's and I can take it into the store if anything ever happens. Plus, I got a free slide remote [though, only after a lot of hassle.]
That might work well if you pay monthly for service but as another poster pointed out, the lifetime service can't be transferred to a new unit if BB has to replace it.