CBS moving Sunday shows back for football overrun

For all you CBS overrun complainers:

http://tvline.com/2012/09/11/cbs-sun...ife-mentalist/

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I'll still pad Amazing Race by two hours to be sure!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
dwells

30 minutes still won't be enough-
dwells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
allan
I survived the Mayan

So, everything will be 60 minutes behind schedule instead of 90?

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
NYHeel

This really isn't anything because the NFL moved back their late game time slot on the network that has a double header by 20 minutes. The games used to start at 4:05 and now start at 4:25 for the network that has the double header that week. CBS really had no choice on this since they have to allot at least 3 hours for an NFL game.

So this really does nothing to change the status quo and you should leave your padding just as it was in the past.

There can still be the same overrun when your local team is playing at 4 on CBS but there's no CBS double header so CBS doesn't push back their network shows. Plus, since the games on CBS double header weeks are starting 20 minutes later the push back only helps you for 10 minutes extra.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
This really isn't anything because the NFL moved back their late game time slot on the network that has a double header by 20 minutes. The games used to start at 4:05 and now start at 4:25 for the network that has the double header that week. CBS really had no choice on this since they have to allot at least 3 hours for an NFL game.

So this really does nothing to change the status quo and you should leave your padding just as it was in the past.

There can still be the same overrun when your local team is playing at 4 on CBS but there's no CBS double header so CBS doesn't push back their network shows. Plus, since the games on CBS double header weeks are starting 20 minutes later the push back only helps you for 10 minutes extra.
Exactly, I'm still padding The Good Wife (which covers the last block of the three shows I watch).

Also, for local games that start at 4PM, on non DH days, it's still going to be an issue (not sure how many of those are going to affect us in NY, but there's always a few).

I still say that Fox has this programmed right. Keep the 7-8PM block fluid and fill in with sitcoms if there's time or a scoreboard show if there isn't.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
WhiskeyTango

Quote:

Actually the game is being moved from 4:15 to 4:25, so the CBS moves gets you 20 minutes extra.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I've padded TAR by an hour for the past four or five seasons and have yet to miss anything....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:

Actually, the start time of "late games" of doubleheaders was moved to 4:15 a number of years ago (presumably as there were too many instances of 1:00 games overlapping with 4:05 games). Games that are not on the doubleheader network that Sunday still do start at 4:05.

You are right in that the padding needs to remain in place - and anybody out east recording Fox's Sunday night lineup should start padding as well; the Fox lineup on 9/9 started 15 minutes late in the Eastern and Central time zones.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I've padded TAR by an hour for the past four or five seasons and have yet to miss anything....
Unfortuneatly that isn't a viable option for everyone.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Unfortuneatly that isn't a viable option for everyone.
Why not? Even with a smaller HD, it should be fine unless you archive these shows ad nauseum...
...unless you have so many shows to record on Sunday evenings that it would conflict, I guess.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
Peter000

Quote:
Why not? Even with a smaller HD, it should be fine unless you archive these shows ad nauseum...
...unless you have so many shows to record on Sunday evenings that it would conflict, I guess.
Because they're recording other shows that night, and padding would interfere with those recordings?
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
ronsch

I signed up for the Eye-Alerts just so I don't actually have to tune in and wait for a crawl telling me how late they are running. Then I can adjust the end time of The Mentalist accordingly.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Because they're recording other shows that night, and padding would interfere with those recordings?
This. Simply having 2 shows to record at 9pm means padding TAR can cause conflicts.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

I am still amazed Comcast doesn't have TAR available for OnDemand.
2 R10's- GONE
2 COMCAST HD TiVo DVR's. SofaKing slow.
Snappa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #16
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa77 View Post
I am still amazed Comcast doesn't have TAR available for OnDemand.

I am still amazed TAR gets renewed every year.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
Cainebj

Quote:
Sunday night is always the busiest in addition to The Good Wife it seems like every good HBO and Showtime series is on and now we have The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

That 30 to 60 minute pad screws up everything
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
exactly
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I am still amazed TAR gets renewed every year.
Why? Ratings are decent and it's won a few Emmys.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Sunday night is always the busiest in addition to The Good Wife it seems like every good HBO and Showtime series is on and now we have The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

That 30 to 60 minute pad screws up everything
Yeah, I gave up years ago on fighting conflict battles by just adding tuners - I've had as many as 8, but we're "getting by" with only 4 right now. We'll probably add one of those new 5-tuner DirecTV boxes in the near future - may or may not deactivate one of the two 2-tuner boxes when we do that.

So Sunday shows on CBS that we watch just all get padded by 90 minutes, and the way DirecTV handles padding on the same channel means that only one tuner is needed for the entire evening for CBS.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
aindik

CBS needs to come to grips with the fact that it can't have both the NFL Sunday package and four hours of Prime Time on Sunday. It just can't.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
CBS needs to come to grips with the fact that it can't have both the NFL Sunday package and four hours of Prime Time on Sunday. It just can't.
TV viewers have to come to grips with the fact that CBS has decided it will delay the start of their Sunday night programs so that CBS can have both the NFL Sunday package and still air their Sunday night programming in its entirety.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
TV viewers have to come to grips with the fact that CBS has decided it will delay the start of their Sunday night programs so that CBS can have both the NFL Sunday package and still air their Sunday night programming in its entirety.
I have no problem with "prime time" that goes from 8 through midnight, if the affiliates will let them get away with it. Just schedule the shows at times when they're actually likely to air.

In practice, does 60 Minutes ever start before 7:30 on a day with a 4:00 ET national game? Is there *any* reason to believe it will start on time now?
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
In practice, does 60 Minutes ever start before 7:30 on a day with a 4:00 ET national game? Is there *any* reason to believe it will start on time now?
Since the second games of doubleheaders used to start at 4:15, I don't think 60 Minutes ever started before 7:30 Eastern; every 4:15 game would have had to end by 7:15 in order to allow enough time for a post-game show and then a 7:25 start. In fact, there may have been a "ratings rule" at one point (and, for all I know, it still exists) where if nationally-televised NFL coverage runs until/past 7:30 Eastern, it counts as a program for prime-time ratings, so CBS could have made it a point to pad the post-game show to 7:30 if necessary (I know Fox did).

Keep in mind that games became longer after the recent rule change where all touchdowns are automatically reviewed by the instant replay official; this may have been a factor in moving the starting times from 4:15 to 4:25.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote