TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Political Animals - Full Season 1 thread (Spoilers)

Anyone take a look at this? It's essentially an even more dysfunctional Clintons if that is even possible. But I liked it.

Things I noticed:

The level of raunchiness has reached a new level for USA Network. Lots of S* bombs. Even a line which essentially said something like. Don't talk to me about it while your D**K is in me. I couldn't believe they said that actually. Also female butt nudity....something you don't see on ad supported TV like ever.

I liked the interplay between the former Prez (the Bill Clinton like character) and his ex (now Sec'y of State).

I'm not usually a big Sigourney Weaver fan, but I thought she was really good in this, and she looked better than she has since Aliens. Still something about her face has always creeped me out some.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
SeanC
ECT

Yeah I really enjoyed it.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Also female butt nudity....
Maybe I'll check it out. With my luck they'll start man butt nudity month.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Maybe I'll check it out. With my luck they'll start man butt nudity month.
Just be warned. If you blink you might miss it
Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

We liked it but I really don't like her ex-husband at all. Not "I don't like his character" - more like "that actor creeps me out and I don't want to see him any more".

Nice to see the actor who plays the youngest son stretching his repertoire from "gay son of the king" (Kings) to "gay son of the president".
Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
We liked it but I really don't like her ex-husband at all. Not "I don't like his character" - more like "that actor creeps me out and I don't want to see him any more".
I agree. I found his ookiness distracting. I actually asked my husband if the actor really looked that way or if they had added latex prosthetics and caked on makeup to get him to look like that.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
I agree. I found his ookiness distracting. I actually asked my husband if the actor really looked that way or if they had added latex prosthetics and caked on makeup to get him to look like that.
He reminds me of the actor who played Maurice Minnefield on Northern Exposure.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
He reminds me of the actor who played Maurice Minnefield on Northern Exposure.
Me too, but with a few missing chromosomes.

Maurice's mutant twin brother.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Anyone take a look at this? It's essentially an even more dysfunctional Clintons if that is even possible. But I liked it.

Things I noticed:

The level of raunchiness has reached a new level for USA Network. Lots of S* bombs. Even a line which essentially said something like. Don't talk to me about it while your D**K is in me. I couldn't believe they said that actually. Also female butt nudity....something you don't see on ad supported TV like ever.
I was shocked a few times, especially when seeing female butt. (Well, pleasantly surprised, actually). But, I had to check the station bug a couple times to make sure I wasn't watchinig HBO.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Quote:
Me too, but with a few missing chromosomes.

Maurice's mutant twin brother.
Perfect description.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
obixman

The ex-husband (Bud Hammond) is played by Ciaran Hinds, an actor of some note - perhaps the best one in the cast.

He does a pretty good Southernish acent - considering he's from Northern Ireland. He was in John Carter (for the one other person who saw it...) and was Julius Caesar in "Rome" .

I respect actors who play characters who are difficult to like - and certainly Bud Hammond is not likeable.

"Warstories" - Firefly

Last edited by obixman : 07-18-2012 at 03:50 PM.
obixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Beryl

I'm watching this. I'm glad it is a miniseries as I can't see it lasting more than one season.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I'm watching this. I'm glad it is a miniseries as I can't see it lasting more than one season.
I found myself very caught up in it. I could see several seasons resulting from her campaign and then her presidency.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
brebeans

I really liked it....thought Sigourney Weaver was terrific and there are several really good story lines going on.

I agree with other posts that the former Prez/ex-husband creeps me out and is not likeable, so that's a bit distracting...We'll see what happens.

As a friend of mine observed, he thought it was "a cross between Dynasty and West Wing"! :-)
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Totally agree. He just doesn't look comfortable in his own skin or something. Maybe it's just that he seemed to be overacting the part. Or maybe it was the neck rolls sticking up out of his shirt collar. Or who knows. But he certainly was my least favorite part about the show.
Quote:
Nice to see the actor who plays the youngest son stretching his repertoire from "gay son of the king" (Kings) to "gay son of the president".
Don't forget the Mad Hatter!

Overall, I liked the show a lot and am interested to see where it goes, despite my dislike of the way Bud Hammond was played. It's always good to have Carla Gugino on my screen.

Also, it should be noted that the ratings for this were horrible by USA standards. The pilot is being rerun multiple times and is being offered for free on iTunes and Amazon, so hopefully more people will find the show this week and the ratings for Ep. 2 will go up. But that seems unlikely.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Great cast. However, the protagonist is far too perfect and polished for me to care about her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
marrone
Phased Member

I liked the show. I generally do like the political type shows (West Wing, Commander In Chief (which I was disappointed didn't stick around)). But the raunchiness did get a bit annoying. It seemed almost forced. They should do away with it.

-Mike
Old 07-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
sharkster

For anybody else, like me, who just now caught on to this show -

There is a re-airing of S01 E01 tonight (USA). Then E02 airs this Sunday, and so forth.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #19
speedcouch
Geekneck

I think what was creepy about Bud was his really bad attempt to do a southern accent. I knew he was British (Irish) and knew that was part of the problem, but I think they could've cast someone who was actually southern in the role and he wouldn't have seemed so fake.

Carla Gugino looked SO much younger on this than she did in recent roles on Justified and Californication. I almost didn't realize it was her in the first scene with Elaine.

I thought Sigourney Weaver was very good in her role. As my husband said, too bad Hillary isn't as good in hers. :-)
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Don't forget the Mad Hatter!
And Bucky Barnes!

Which will probably become a bigger deal than it is already, since they just announced the second Captain America movie is called "Winter Soldier."
Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcouch View Post
I think what was creepy about Bud was his really bad attempt to do a southern accent. I knew he was British (Irish) and knew that was part of the problem, but I think they could've cast someone who was actually southern in the role and he wouldn't have seemed so fake.

Carla Gugino looked SO much younger on this than she did in recent roles on Justified and Californication. I almost didn't realize it was her in the first scene with Elaine.

I thought Sigourney Weaver was very good in her role. As my husband said, too bad Hillary isn't as good in hers. :-)
This is common on a lot of shows. I always wonder about this. Do foreign actors work cheaper or something? Sure, I know a good actor can pull of most accents (Look at Fringe where two of the leads are both foreigners playing Americans). It's not like this show is produced in Britain and there aren't a lot of American actors available.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
mooseAndSquirrel

Wow, I thought this was unwatchable. Forget his absolutely atrocious acting, I'm supposed to believe a guy who looks and talks like a mash-up of Don Coreleone and Dracula is supposed to be the most "popular Democrat since Kennedy got his brains splattered." and that mother? Oy. So badly written and poorly acted.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
Howie
Out of Pocket

I didn't make it through the first episode. I thought it was going to be a drama, and that's what I was in the mood for, but it turned out to be a comedy. I didn't delete it though, so I might give it another shot. I like Carla Gugino, too.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
The 'd word' has been on basic cable for quite a while now. e.g. The Daily Show uses it a lot.

Umm, can you say "NYPD Blue"?

Hmm, I don't remember the 's word', but I watched a rerun, that I think aired earlier in the day (though it was ~1:30 timeslot, so I was hoping it was uncut).

BTW, I keep seeing people say limited run series, but didn't know how many eps.. the epguides.com list is 6 episodes.

I liked it, though it keeps bringing to mind "Commander in Chief" (which I actually watched on DVD in the past year or two).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The 'd word' has been on basic cable for quite a while now. e.g. The Daily Show uses it a lot.

Umm, can you say "NYPD Blue"?

Hmm, I don't remember the 's word', but I watched a rerun, that I think aired earlier in the day (though it was ~1:30 timeslot, so I was hoping it was uncut).

BTW, I keep seeing people say limited run series, but didn't know how many eps.. the epguides.com list is 6 episodes.

I liked it, though it keeps bringing to mind "Commander in Chief" (which I actually watched on DVD in the past year or two).
My recording(s) were at night, and there were quite a few "s" words. There was another scene which I thought might not make it on basic cable too often:

Spoiler:
Two gay characters in bed, one snorting coke off the other's chest.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #26
mooseAndSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I didn't make it through the first episode. I thought it was going to be a drama, and that's what I was in the mood for, but it turned out to be a comedy. I didn't delete it though, so I might give it another shot. I like Carla Gugino, too.
A comedy?
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #27
mattack

Quote:
My recording(s) were at night, and there were quite a few "s" words. There was another scene which I thought might not make it on basic cable too often:

Spoiler:
Two gay characters in bed, one snorting coke off the other's chest.
I was probably looking away, but I think that aired on the earlier broadcast.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
... Also female butt nudity....something you don't see on ad supported TV like ever.

Quote:
Just be warned. If you blink you might miss it
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I was shocked a few times, especially when seeing female butt. (Well, pleasantly surprised, actually). But, I had to check the station bug a couple times to make sure I wasn't watchinig HBO.
Dayam. I did miss it, unless they're censoring the repeats.

I did notice that Douglas's fiance, Anne, was wearing panties while getting poked, not that I froze it or nothing.

Quote:
I'm not usually a big Sigourney Weaver fan, but I thought she was really good in this, and she looked better than she has since Aliens. Still something about her face has always creeped me out some.
She looks her age. That's the curse of HDTV. She looks fine. Note that her outfits often have tight belts to emphasize her small waist. There was also some erect nip exposure when she was wearing that thin green silk blouse.

What's a shock is Carla Gugino. She always has that little girl round face on a great body. Now in HD you can see lotsa blemishes. Still wouldn't throw her out for...

I'm not buying that Douglas and TJ are twins.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #29
alpacaboy

The President - wasn't he like
Spoiler:
a senator destined to be president or something, but later was really Sylar

on Heroes?
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #30
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

You just now recognized him?