TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
rasmasyean

How to get best HD video file from KMTTG

What are the formats you are supposed to use and encodes to get the best resolution?

And what's a .TiVo file? Is it for transfering into another TiVo to play?

Thanks.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
What are the formats you are supposed to use and encodes to get the best resolution?

And what's a .TiVo file? Is it for transfering into another TiVo to play?

Thanks.
.TiVo files are an encrypted layer using the Media Access Key onto a .mpg file. You can remove it with either KMTTG decrypt feature or tivodecode.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
rasmasyean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
.TiVo files are an encrypted layer using the Media Access Key onto a .mpg file. You can remove it with either KMTTG decrypt feature or tivodecode.
So the .TiVo is basically the "raw" video with the encryption? And when you download it, that .mpg that is arround 10 KB smaller is the same exact quality vid but without the encryption?
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Picture a typical .mpg file. Now add a layer of encryption and extra data for program description (guide related material).
That is what a .tivo file is.

A Tivo will happily accept a plain .mpg file as long as it conforms to the mpeg standard.
You will get a video format notice screen if you try to transfer a raw .mpg file to the Tivo, but you can ignore it if you know that your .mpg file conforms to the standard.

As for what software to use to save .tivo files, there are some options.
Tivo Desktop (free version) only transfers but does not decode. The Plus version ($$) does allow for conversion, but it is geared for users of mobile devices and does not allow for a straight conversion.
I believe PyTivo* and kmttg* offer transferring and decryption to .mpg in one step. I don't use these apps, so I don't know for sure. Check their respective threads for conformation.
For dealing with .tivo files directly, I use VideoReDo TV Suite v4. It's not cheap, but it works directly with .tivo files and will convert to a format that is compatible with almost any device.

ETA: *These software programs do not alter the resolution of the video unless you set parameters beforehand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-28-2012 at 01:28 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
So the .TiVo is basically the "raw" video with the encryption? And when you download it, that .mpg that is arround 10 KB smaller is the same exact quality vid but without the encryption?
YES.

kmttg also offers to let you recode the file to mp4 for use on other devices and more efficient space usage.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
lrhorer

Backing up a bit, what is meant by "best resolution"?

For what purpose? The best choice of resolution depends on what device is going to be doing the playback. This thread so far has talked mostly about converting the .TiVo file pulled from the TiVo to a standard MPEG-II video of the same resolution and audio parameters recorded by the TiVo. The .TiVo file specification is a fairly simple modification of a standard MPEG-II format. Converting to .mpg loses nothing but the metadata in the .TiVo file.

Depending on your needs, stripping the encryption and metadata may be all you need to do, and it's a fairly fast operation. OTOH, depending on what you want to do, you may want to change the resolution, the audio coding, or perhaps even recode to a completely different format, such as h.264, for example.

What is it, exactly, you want to do?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
Gaidin43

for the encoding options for kmttg, what h.264 format is the highest (1080p) format that isn't as big as the raw file you get once you remove the .tivo encoding?

I encoding to .mp4, but the quality goes to a 720*480 format, but saves a ton of disc space.
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote