TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
tomhorsley

New anrdoid app?

I'm not at home now, so I can't test it, but I just got a new version of the TiVo android app in an update.

I don't suppose this one allows it to remember the damn IP address so it doesn't have to spend 10 minutes scanning for the same TiVo it talked to last time?

Anyone tried it yet?
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Is this app for the larger tablets or for the devices with the smaller screens? I know the one I use with my cell and my Kindle fire, I've never had to enter an IP address for my TiVos.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just downloaded it to my cell phone. It looks like the font is smaller. But I see where you can delete an entire folder now. I'm not sure if that was available before.

Any chance this new app will work with the stream?

EDIT: I guess you could delete folders with the old app. I just looked on my Kindle Fire which is still using the old version. So the new version seems quicker on my cell phone and the font size seems smaller.

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
mreaves53

Question

If you can see my playlist from my computer, why can't that feature work on Series 3 boxes with the Android app?

Thanks,
WD Live TV Media Player
Phillips HDD DVD recorder
LG NAS
Slingbox Pro HD
Toshiba Thrive
mreaves53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
atmuscarella

I have both the older TiVo phone and newer TiVo for Tablet apps on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 and it appears they both just updated - the release dates for both are now 9/11/12.

I had just tried the TiVo for Tablet app again the other day and it was still not working with this update it now seems to be working fine on my tablet, however I still get the error message going into the app that it was designed for a 1280X800 screen.

The older TiVo app for phones had been working fine on my tablet and still appears to be.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

* I can confirm there are updates for both the phone (small device) and tablet (large device) TiVo Android apps today.

* Both say "TiVo Stream support will be coming to Android in a future release".

* I don't know if it has a rooted/jailbroken limitation like the newer iOS apps, because none of my devices are rooted (believe it or not).

* The tablet version is still miserably slow for how I would use it. Half the time when I try to go into Suggestions, it sits there forever. Try a different folder and come back to it, then it loads. Has no way to select multiple programs for deletion. Takes 6 seconds just to delete ONE actively recording program, and then it dumps me out of the folder so I have to go back in it again and wait forever AGAIN for it to load. Plus it continues to show the deleted program on the top pane. Takes 3 to 5 seconds to delete a non-recording program, and again, it dumps you out of the folder when it finishes. You can't delete a program until you wait the 4 to 10 seconds for it to display all the info in the top pane about it. I still consider the tablet app to be a disaster of poor design, poor performance, and full of bugs. Very disappointing.

* Still takes 9 to 20 seconds to load either the tablet or phone app because you still have to go through the stupid "scanning" and then select and then wait yet again for connecting; EVERY TIME.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

My TiVos are right there when I start the app on my cell phone. I select the one I want and the info pops up in a few seconds.

But this also might have more to do with my Asus RT-N56U router with the custom firmware on it. When I had my old Dlink DGL4500 router I had issues with the app. But since switching to the Asus router there has been a big difference.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 09-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My TiVos are right there when I start the app on my cell phone. I select the one I want and the info pops up in a few seconds.
That is only because you have not closed the app. On Android (which has real multitasking) if you just leave the app, it is not closed. Try closing it (by using the back key in the app, or with a task manager or task killer) and then relaunch it. You *WILL* have to sit through "scanning" again.

And since I would use it rarely, it will ALWAYS be pushed out of memory and not running and have to scan with every use. It is an incredibly stupid design. You should scan ONLY ONCE EVER and it should remember (and even select that Premiere as your default if you choose) every time the app is launched. The only time a rescan should be needed would be if the network or hardware changed, and that could be something manually called in settings.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

No rooted limitation..

I am running a rooted JB Rom and my app works fine.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
tomhorsley

I've just been playing with the new tablet version, and it does indeed still do the stoopid scanning thing at startup. I also got it in a mode where one particular channel in the guide didn't have a "Watch now" button active. I have no idea why, but it wasn't till that program ended and a new program came on that it was willing to say "watch now" on that channel (I could go to the remote screen and manually tune that channel no problem, but the guide refused to let me watch it :-).

Also if you use the options button you get an utterly mysterious option menu with two different kinds of circular arrows drawn on it. I have no clue what they mean.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
No rooted limitation..

No doubt they'll check for rooting once they add streaming (since God Forbid you might be able to capture the stream somehow).
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Also if you use the options button you get an utterly mysterious option menu with two different kinds of circular arrows drawn on it. I have no clue what they mean.
One is rescan for TiVo Premieres (yeesh, because you know they change daily at our houses, right?). The other is to reload the data/refresh the screen (if you hadn't waited long enough on that already).
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
No doubt they'll check for rooting once they add streaming (since God Forbid you might be able to capture the stream somehow).
I was going to say the same thing. You know we all have nothing better to do than to try and capture and store HD video on our tablets and phones. Certainly there could be no easier way to do that.

DRM = punish only the honest people

Expect root detecting when streaming support is added (yay- then we can have miserable performance, bugs, poor design, and DRM too!). Right now there is no data to "protect" from the evil rooters.

(Do I sound at all bitter?)
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
dsnotgood

Can someone upload the APK for the new tablet version? I can't download it from my touch pad. Grrr
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just installed the new app on my Kindle Fire. It is definitely faster than the previous version.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #16
Gadfly

Anybody knows how to change the tuner that is used in the "info" screen? It seems to randomly pick up a tuner (out of 4 on Xl) and there is no way to change it. Sometimes going to another tab like browse and then coming back changes the tuner, sometimes it doesn't.
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
rahnbo

I don't see an ounce of improvement in this app from the previous version (HTC Thunderbolt). So they changed the color and speed of the animated scanning for boxes animation and that's about it. It still forgets boxes even though I don't close the app and still has to scan several times to connect. Why even bother mentioning streaming support will be coming when we all know Tivo updates things at the speed of zero? When you have that feature then you can announce it. Is this imaginary future update somehow supposed to impress us and make us like the app we have now better without streaming just because someday it might stream?
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
jrtroo
User

No- it was to make people stop guessing and complaining that this update did not create that functionality.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
Anybody knows how to change the tuner that is used in the "info" screen? It seems to randomly pick up a tuner (out of 4 on Xl) and there is no way to change it. Sometimes going to another tab like browse and then coming back changes the tuner, sometimes it doesn't.
It always shows the tuner that is being watched(on video output) when I select my boxes.

If you have the app on that screen and change the channel, that screen will change to info from the new channel.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
I don't see an ounce of improvement in this app from the previous version (HTC Thunderbolt). So they changed the color and speed of the animated scanning for boxes animation and that's about it. It still forgets boxes even though I don't close the app and still has to scan several times to connect. Why even bother mentioning streaming support will be coming when we all know Tivo updates things at the speed of zero? When you have that feature then you can announce it. Is this imaginary future update somehow supposed to impress us and make us like the app we have now better without streaming just because someday it might stream?
On my Rezound and Kindle Fire, everything is quicker. My Shows, selecting a new box, SP manager, To Do List, etc. It shows up quicker than with the previous version I was using.

On both my Kindle Fire and Rezound, when I start it up the boxes are there. I looked at them both last night and again this morning. They both went straight to the list of boxes.

Although I did see a rescan when I did a reboot last night. But scanning took 6 or 7 seconds. So I guess as long as I don't reboot it won't rescan. I know with the older app, I could go without using the app for weeks and when I started it up, the boxes would still be there without any need for scanning.

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-13-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
compnurd

Quote:
I just installed the new app on my Kindle Fire. It is definitely faster than the previous version.
Where did you get an updated kindle app? mine still shows the old one
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Where did you get an updated kindle app? mine still shows the old one
I got it off my Cell phone. I used the app "File Expert" to back up the app and create an APK. Then I just downloaded it to my PC. And then connected the Kindle Fire to my PC and copied it to the Kindle Fire . Then I installed it on the Kindle Fire..( I did need to uninstall the old app on the Fire before installing the new one)

http://droidlessons.com/how-to-backu...m-to-apk-file/
Old 09-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
No- it was to make people stop guessing and complaining that this update did not create that functionality.
And I do give them a LITTLE bit of credit for at least communicating that.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I got it off my Cell phone. I used the app "File Expert" to back up the app and create an APK. Then I just downloaded it to my PC. And then connected the Kindle Fire to my PC and copied it to the Kindle Fire . Then I installed it on the Kindle Fire..( I did need to uninstall the old app on the Fire before installing the new one)
That is why you think things are fast! You are using the *MUCH MUCH MUCH* faster phone version on your tablet. You are not using the tablet version.

I actually think the phone version is quite usable (once you ever get connected). But on the TABLET version, the UI is very different, and they are back to depending on loading live info & graphics before even controls are available. It SUCKS. And if anyone thinks otherwise, tell me how long it takes you on the TABLET version to delete 10 shows in suggestions. How long SHOULD it take? Well, on the PHONE app, maybe 6 seconds. I would guess at least twelve times longer on the TABLET app.... MINIMUM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

The kindle fire is a 7 inch tablet. The one for the phone is also designed for tablets with that resolution. I think it handles up to 1280x720p. Which is the resolution of my phone and I think also the 7 inch fire HD. The fire I have now is 1024x600.

When I get the 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD later this year I'll have to use the tablet version. It's resolution is supposed to be 1920x1200.

EDIT: It supports up to 1280x800 resolutions. That is the resolution of the 7" Kindle Fire HD. So I guess support is just by the resolution. I guess higher resolutions must use the tablet version. Hopefully UPS will leave the 7" Kindle Fire HD at my doorstep tomorrow so I can try it out with the slightly higher resolution. Otherwise I'll have to wait until Monday to get it.

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
No rooted limitation..

They probably wont add the rooted limitation until they add Stream support. At that point they'll have to to appease Cable Labs.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #27
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
The kindle fire is a 7 inch tablet. The one for the phone is also designed for tablets with that resolution. I think it handles up to 1280x720p. Which is the resolution of my phone and I think also the 7 inch fire HD. The fire I have now is 1024x600.

When I get the 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD later this year I'll have to use the tablet version. It's resolution is supposed to be 1920x1200.

EDIT: It supports up to 1280x800 resolutions. That is the resolution of the 7" Kindle Fire HD. So I guess support is just by the resolution. I guess higher resolutions must use the tablet version. Hopefully UPS will leave the 7" Kindle Fire HD at my doorstep tomorrow so I can try it out with the slightly higher resolution. Otherwise I'll have to wait until Monday to get it.
I think you are too hung up on resolution. My 4.7" phone (Evo LTE) is the same resolution as most tablets (1280x720), and almost the same as my *10 inch* Xoom. Google Play and the app itself go by more than just resolution when "deciding" which devices to support (which is kinda stupid- let *us* choose).
Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #28
hillyard

Quote:

But this also might have more to do with my Asus RT-N56U router with the custom firmware on it. When I had my old Dlink DGL4500 router I had issues with the app. But since switching to the Asus router there has been a big difference.

Were did you get a custom firmware for the asus
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I think you are too hung up on resolution. My 4.7" phone (Evo LTE) is the same resolution as most tablets (1280x720), and almost the same as my *10 inch* Xoom. Google Play and the app itself go by more than just resolution when "deciding" which devices to support (which is kinda stupid- let *us* choose).
I figured it was either by resolution or tablet size. So maybe it's by tablet size then?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillyard View Post
Were did you get a custom firmware for the asus
Here is the project home page that has info about it and the download links.

ASUS RT-N56U custom firmware