TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #61
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Sounding more and more like a wasted feature. Ah well.

It would have conflicted with the trojan horse feature of the Wii U anyway. The ability to kick your kid off the tv and onto the controller so you can watch your TiVo show on your biggest screen.

Still hold out some hope though. Engadget said Nintendo wouldn't allow photographs of the back side of the Wii U. Maybe they want to hide some a/v input ports.
Hmm that's interesting. Two hdmi inputs perhaps? With cec or whatever that standard is to allow the Tvii to control the other devices...
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #62
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Hmm that's interesting. Two hdmi inputs perhaps? With cec or whatever that standard is to allow the Tvii to control the other devices...
Watch this.

http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50131229.html

The standard to allow the TVii to control the other devices is... an IR blaster.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #63
DaveWhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Watch this.

The standard to allow the TVii to control the other devices is... an IR blaster.
Thanks - that clarifies a few things, and because I'm getting a WiiU anyway, this sounds like it might be a fun novelty to play with.
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #64
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post

Watch this.

That pretty much confirms that there will not be any streaming capabilities from TiVo.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #65
trip1eX

Yep there goes all hope.

I had visions of seamlessly kicking my kid off the tv and onto the controller anyway when I want to watch something.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #66
davezatz
Funkadelic

I've heard back from i.TV and Nintendo... and can confirm the Wii U will act as an IP remote control of a TiVo DVR. Meaning, no, it doesn't stream video. Still cool. But not amazingly cool.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #67
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Why would Tivo want this? This will just confuse WiiU users who do know anything about Tivo.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #68
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Why would Tivo want this? This will just confuse WiiU users who do know anything about Tivo.
Basically this is just another second screen app on a new platform. Why wouldn't they want to support this? I will wait for a hands-on demo to pass judgement. It does sound a lot like google TV which is complex and hard to understand. I also wonder if streaming is on the roadmap which would make more sense. It was probably difficult for them to meet the Nov 18 deadline. If it turns out the Wii is easier to use than the Xbox 360 for discovering and watching content and has some sort of HDMI pass thru for TiVo than it could be pretty cool.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #69
WizarDru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I've heard back from i.TV and Nintendo... and can confirm the Wii U will act as an IP remote control of a TiVo DVR. Meaning, no, it doesn't stream video. Still cool. But not amazingly cool.
Thanks, Dave.

There's an article on Tech of the Hub, as well.

Since I was planning on getting a Wii U anyway and already have two TiVo Premieres, this is a fun option. Pity it won't stream TiVo to the gamepad, but still a cool feature.

Honestly, given that I've been waiting for a decent universal remote that didn't cost as much as Wii U by itself, this could still be pretty darned cool if i.TVs implementation is decent.
WizarDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #70
anthonymoody

Hmm basically a glorified universal remote with an integrated search/guide/listings feature. Nice, but not extraordinary. Certainly nothing I will spend $350 for.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #71
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Really sad, this could've been so much more with streaming. Another half-assed Tivo implementation courtesy of Nintendo.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #72
WizarDru

You guys do realize this isn't a media-streaming box, right? It's not a Tivo Stream or Roku competitor and isn't being sold as such. It's a video game console that has some apps built in and apparently i.TVs program guide system, not unlike their iPhone app.

It's an interesting feature, but its $300/$350 for a video game console with some TVii features that were only announced last week to stay competitive with Microsoft and Sony (behind whom their offerings in that arena still lag considerably, even now). The TiVo stuff is interesting because it's something the other two don't do. I don't think anyone was suggesting buying a Wii U just for TiVo streaming capability. TiVo Stream would already do that (and to more devices) even if the Wii U DID do that, which we now know it doesn't.
WizarDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #73
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Really sad, this could've been so much more with streaming. Another half-assed Tivo implementation courtesy of Nintendo.
Nintendo has another Tivo implementation someplace?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #74
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post
I don't think anyone was suggesting buying a Wii U just for TiVo streaming capability. TiVo Stream would already do that (and to more devices) even if the Wii U DID do that, which we now know it doesn't.
I am admittedly partially being Devil's Advocate.. *just* for that (nonexistent) functionality? No.. but I could see it being a major reason a small subset of people would buy it..

Analogous to how there are people who bought the PS3 because it was the cheapest BluRay player, or even better, people who bought Xbox 360s to use them as Windows Media Center streaming boxes.. (there's a better term for the latter, I can't remember it..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #75
Kenny4200

when is the WiiU available...and if i have probs....who do i call....nintendo or Tivo for support hmmmmmm ?
Kenny4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #76
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
If info from the “rumorvurse” is correct new systems from Micro$ and Sony will not be out real soon. Both are rumor to use the same off the shelf chipset and video card and Micro$ will add a blu-ray drive the new Xbox. So both systems will be more or less the “same”. Both systems will NOT be backward compatible. New games will be “tied” to the system it loaded onto and cannot be re-sold when your done with the game. If all turn out to be true I don’t see many gamer buying the new systems.
^^^ this is all rumor and speculation, want to reiterate. I know you said "rumorverse" I do think they will use common chips to make programming easier, and will both be more like a PC with custom firmware/software. I do NOT think they will not be BWC. That would be a BAD move, and people will riot. Especially since both have arcade games, DLC and downloadable full games on their current system as well as trophies/achievements. If you couldn't transfer those and had to hook up two systems at all times, that's bad news. I also don't think they will have the games tied to the system like long ago rumored. Again, riot situation. Gamestop would shut down, and I don't see that happening.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #77
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
^^^ this is all rumor and speculation, want to reiterate. I know you said "rumorverse" I do think they will use common chips to make programming easier, and will both be more like a PC with custom firmware/software. I do NOT think they will not be BWC. That would be a BAD move, and people will riot. Especially since both have arcade games, DLC and downloadable full games on their current system as well as trophies/achievements. If you couldn't transfer those and had to hook up two systems at all times, that's bad news. I also don't think they will have the games tied to the system like long ago rumored. Again, riot situation. Gamestop would shut down, and I don't see that happening.
Will this “rumorverse” states games will be lock and not “BWC’, from gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/nex...ction-6349949/

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #78
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I do think they will use common chips to make programming easier, and will both be more like a PC with custom firmware/software. I do NOT think they will not be BWC. That would be a BAD move, and people will riot.
There's no way for the new PS to use common chips and be BWC as all games are written for the cell processor. Sony would have to include PS3 hardware in the new system like they did PS2 hardware in the PS3, which would drive up costs and the price. Emulation is out of the question unless you want to run games at 2 fps.

The only way for the new Xbox to be BWC is if it uses the same chip and graphics card manufacturer it does today. When the 360 was released it switched graphics card manufacturers which is why most Xbox games don't work on the 360 (they require patching to be compatible).

So don't expect either system to be BWC.

Last edited by morac : 09-24-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #79
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Will this “rumorverse” states games will be lock and not “BWC’, from gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/nex...ction-6349949/
"Locked" (from your article) - As for the second half of that rumor, the source in question didn't say Microsoft would go about blocking users from playing used games, if indeed they wish to do so. For now, this is shaky speculation at best.

Also, PS2 classics are being run through the PS3 on the PSN currently. Apply to the next gen. :shrug:
Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #80
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Also, PS2 classics are being run through the PS3 on the PSN currently. Apply to the next gen. :shrug:
PS2 classics are basically PS2 games being ported to the PS3. That's why they are only releasing a handful every few months. Technically that's not BWC any more than porting a XBox360 game to PS3 could be called allowed the PS3 to run any XBox360 game.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #81
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
PS2 classics are basically PS2 games being ported to the PS3. That's why they are only releasing a handful every few months. Technically that's not BWC any more than porting a XBox360 game to PS3 could be called allowed the PS3 to run any XBox360 game.
are you talking about the HD remakes? Because I'm talking about the PSN downloads of straight PS2 games.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #82
morac
Cat God

Quote:

are you talking about the HD remakes? Because I'm talking about the PSN downloads of straight PS2 games.
Even the straight PS2 games are ports to work on the cell processor (either via emulation or whatnot). Simply put, unless you can take a PS2 disk and play it in a PS3 it's not BWC.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #83
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Fair enough. You can do it with PS1 games though in the PS2 and PS3. I just don't see Sony ditching the PS3 games in the next gen, especially with all the DLC out there.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #84
mattack

PS3 will play PS1 games, but will not play PS2 games (currently available PS3s).
Old 09-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #85
tifenni

To see a world in a granda of stand.And a heaven in a wild flower.Hold infinity in the palm your hand and eternity in an hour.
tifenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #86
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Nintendo could buy TiVo, before Microsoft.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #87
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
PS3 will play PS1 games, but will not play PS2 games (currently available PS3s).
That's because PS1 is done via software emulation. PS2 support in the original PS3 required a special chip. They removed it in later models to reduce costs.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #88
mattack

One PS3 model had software PS2 emulation, but they removed that too.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #89
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
One PS3 model had software PS2 emulation, but they removed that too.
Not exactly. The first model PS3 had the PS2 CPU and GPU, so it was fully backwards compatible in hardware. The next model took out the PS2 CPU and emulated it in software, but left in the PS2 GPU, so it was compatible via part software emulation and part hardware. Later models removed the PS2 GPU and since that wasn't emulated in software, PS2 compatibility no longer worked since the GPU was never emulated in software.

Considering that the CPU emulation wasn't great, I'd say that combined with GPU emulation would be pretty bad. Also Sony couldn't resell people PS2 games that they already own.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #90
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Also Sony couldn't resell people PS2 games that they already own.
Though I'd almost certainly would have paid just as much of a one time fee to get PS2 emulation than I will pay for re-buying games. I am only doing that slightly, gritting my
teeth.. Though so far, it's the Sony games, so they will be "free" after credit card rebate, and typically when they're $10 or less per game. (I think Sly Collection is the only one I have so far.. Actually I priced matched that to $19.99). I will likely get one of the Ratchet & Clank collections, and the new God of War set that for $40 (MSRP) bundles a bunch of the separate collections (some being now downloads).