TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The Wii U has the ability to mirror what's on the TV on the controller, display it's output on the controller instead of the TV or display anything it wants on the controller. That's the whole gimmick of the Wii U system, so I don't see why the supported video wouldn't also be able to display on the controller.
Interesting... So the question is: can the Wii U act as a TiVo extender - similar to the TiVo Mini?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #32
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Interesting... So the question is: can the Wii U act as a TiVo extender - similar to the TiVo Mini?
Dunno. Nintendo hasn't given a lot of details about it. It may allow streaming or it may be a glorified remote control (like the old ipad app).

CNet seems to think it will be like Google TV.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #33
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
One point of the controller is so you can play the Wii U games on the controller while someone watches something else on the TV guessing not via the Wii U.

From the various blogs, it sounds like you can either watch on the TV or on the controller. When watching on the TV you will be able to use the Wii U controller to act like the TiVo iPad app.
OH yeah playing games on the controller is a big selling point. I think it is a trojan horse selling point even. I thought watching video on the game controller less so since the Ipad does that well and I'd rather watch tv on the big screen.

But sure if it lets another simultaneous user watch a show on your Tivo (even if on the controller) then that is good too.

Just that I guess I thought the Wii U would be a on a different tv than the Tivo because using it as an extender is a selling point. And so why beam video to the controller if you have that tv open. I assume you don't have another extender. I suppose you could have another console on that tv.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #34
trip1eX

Actually I see a problem here. IF the Wii U is an extender on a 2nd tv in your house, can you watch Tivo on that 2nd tv through your Tivo while your son plays a game on the controller? And how will you control your Tivo streaming experience? Will you use a wiimote then? Your Wiipad is being used by your son.

Just saying it is a problem because one feature sort of cancels out the other in this case. I thought a sweet feature was continuing the game on our controller. But that may cancel out the extender part.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Actually I see a problem here. IF the Wii U is an extender on a 2nd tv in your house, can you watch Tivo on that 2nd tv through your Tivo while your son plays a game on the controller? And how will you control your Tivo streaming experience? Will you use a wiimote then? Your Wiipad is being used by your son.
I would say no. That would equivalent to playing one game on the WiiU through the TV and another on the Wiipad at the same time. That's not what the hardware is designed to do. The playback on the Wiipad is meant to free up the TV for other uses, not free up the WiiU completely.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #36
nrc
Cracker Soul

I wonder if this is the first third party use of the new SDK that TiVo has been teasing.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #37
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
This is certainly different from how Tivo normally does things. Shouldn't Tivo have made an announcement about this like three years ago?
This *is* the announcement. It will be available in 3 years.

(ba dum psh!)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #38
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
I wonder if this is the first third party use of the new SDK that TiVo has been teasing.
Netflix and YouTube likely already used the Flash SDK since TiVo likes to keep saying they don't "own" those crappy implementations.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #39
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

At $300+, I predict the Wii U will be dead in the water after the holidays without a price cut. Right now it costs more than the other consoles with very little to offer to make it worth the while.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #40
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Also per a tweet from DaveZatz, all info is coming from Nintendo. TiVo's PR isn't involved and he has no contact at Nintendo so we will probably have a decent wait for any info.
I got a little info from Nintendo, but not the level of detail we'd all like...
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #41
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I got a little info from Nintendo, but not the level of detail we'd all like...
The thing that most confuses me is that unless the tvii can somehow suck in the programming from the TiVo (or cable DVRs, which are also referenced in some of the TiVo announcements) I don't get how the tvii is going to handle switching inputs on my receiver, handling on/off duty, etc. unless they also build in some smart remote stuff, Harmony style.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #42
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
At $300+, I predict the Wii U will be dead in the water after the holidays without a price cut. Right now it costs more than the other consoles with very little to offer to make it worth the while.
At $300, its only $50 more than the wii was initially. So while its competing against ps3/xbox, and the wii itself, as the only new kid on the block it should do well, at least initially.

Last edited by jrtroo : 09-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #43
morac
Cat God

The more I think about this, the less it seems the more confusing it becomes. Technically the Wii U is more than capable of playing the MPEG-2 and H.264 video that the TiVo records. The issue is the encryption.

I'm not sure if TiVo changed this recently or not, but the way encryption used to work is that the encryption was based off the TSN and a built in hardware key. TiVos on an account can decrypt video from TiVos on the same account because they fetch the TSN and keys during the service call. Basically this means that every TiVo box on your account knows about every other TiVo box on your account. This is also true for the TiVo Stream.

For the Wii U to support native streaming it would need to know the decryption keys, hence it would need to make service calls into TiVo HQ. That doesn't seem likely.

On the other hand, TiVo boxes are capable of re-encrypting the video with the MAK. That's how TiVo Desktop works. The Wii U could easily support MAK encrypted video, but I don't believe that it's possibly to stream said video (since TiVo Desktop does not stream).

So I'm very curious as to what the Wii U actually supports and how they are doing it.

As for the Wii U itself. Reports are that it is at least as powerful as the PS3 which isn't surprising since it's been 5 years since the PS3 has been released. The Wii U has 2 GB of RAM, with 1 GB just for the OS and 1 GB for games. That's more than both the PS3 and XBox360. It also has a much newer graphics card. It supports external hard drives to store game downloads. According to developers the Wii U runs games better than the PS3 or 360. All that while maintaining backwards compatibility with the Wii. I expect Nintendo fans will eat this thing up.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #44
aaronwt
HD Addict

So if the WiiU is bascially on par with the 360/PS3. I wonder howerful the new systems from Microsoft and Sony will look like?

For the WiiU if someone like Gamestop has a generous trade in offer for the Wii system then I would probably get one. But I haven't heard about any deals like that so I'll wait until next year before I consider getting a WiiU.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #45
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
For the WiiU if someone like Gamestop has a generous trade in offer for the Wii system then I would probably get one. But I haven't heard about any deals like that so I'll wait until next year before I consider getting a WiiU.
I stopped by yesterday and they said they'd give me a generous trade in offer for my iPhone, but I kind of doubt it... (I had a Wii once, but only kept it a few weeks. My niece (11) and nephew (4) have one they never use, preferring Xbox and Kinect).
Old 09-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #46
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
At $300, its only $50 more than the wii was initially. So while its competing against ps3/xbox, and the wii itself, as the only new kid on the block it should do well, at least initially.
Yes, but people were predicting that it would come out at $200 or so and were very surprised to see it going this high. I'm sure Nintendo fanboys will eat this up, but how many are left now and is it enough to sustain them? I don't think your average mom and dad is going to want to shell out this kind of money in this economy when the Wii still works for the kids.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #47
innocentfreak

Quote:
So if the WiiU is bascially on par with the 360/PS3. I wonder howerful the new systems from Microsoft and Sony will look like?

I think they are giving $50 for the Wii.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #48
cwoody222

I watched some of the interviews last night on Cnet and there's nothing at all said by Nintendo to even hint at streaming or playing video aside - specifically, mentioned - movie trailers.

This is nothing more than a glorified IR-blasting touchscreen, tablet-sized, remote control.

There's not even any evidence that it'll have info on, say, your Now Playing List or To Do List.

The "TiVo integration" I think is nothing more than something like the i.TV app does which is schedule recordings for you.

From where I'm sitting this is a huge non-announcement. And the support for other cable co boxes and DVRs? Vaporware.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan but this will probably be a big skip for me.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #49
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
This is nothing more than a glorified IR-blasting touchscreen, tablet-sized, remote control.
That's occurred to me... but I'm optimistic. Perhaps unrealistically? Hm.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #50
anthonymoody

Check this piece out. More info, still very vague.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/14/n...itv/#continued
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #51
mattack

But the weird thing about the record screen (first picture) is that it's basically a combined 'record this episode + create season pass' in one interface. (Though the middle/right buttons seem to correspond to "New episodes" and "All episodes (including duplicates)", respectively.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #52
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Check this piece out. More info, still very vague.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/14/n...itv/#continued
Actually that's very informative since it sounds like Nintendo is simply branding and using I.TV. That's likely where the TiVo partnership comes from since I.TV is already partnered with TiVo. If it is just a rebranded I.TV, then it won't do streaming.

Last edited by morac : 09-14-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #53
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Actually that's very informative since it sounds like Nintendo is simply branding and using I.TV. That's likely where the TiVo partnership comes from since I.TV is already partnered with TiVo. If it is just a rebranded I.TV, the it won't do streaming.
What is I.TV?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #54
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post

What is I.TV?
http://i.tv/

They are owned by AOL. They were the iOS app that TiVo used to endorse before TiVo created its own app. The i.TV app can be used to schedule recordings on TiVo.

Here's i.TV's press release about their Wii U partnership:

http://i.tv/blog/nintendo-and-i-tv-t...g-tv-to-wii-u/
Old 09-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #55
ufo4sale

When is the WiiU suppose to come out?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #56
SullyND
W: 48-17

I wonder if this isn't related to the DLNA news from last week?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #57
ufo4sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
When is the WiiU suppose to come out?
it's november 18th incase anyone else wants to know.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #58
trip1eX

Sounding more and more like a wasted feature. Ah well.

It would have conflicted with the trojan horse feature of the Wii U anyway. The ability to kick your kid off the tv and onto the controller so you can watch your TiVo show on your biggest screen.

Still hold out some hope though. Engadget said Nintendo wouldn't allow photographs of the back side of the Wii U. Maybe they want to hide some a/v input ports.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #59
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yes, but people were predicting that it would come out at $200 or so and were very surprised to see it going this high. I'm sure Nintendo fanboys will eat this up, but how many are left now and is it enough to sustain them? I don't think your average mom and dad is going to want to shell out this kind of money in this economy when the Wii still works for the kids.
Kids want new stuff in case you forgot.

$300 is a lot. Now should I buy the $800 TiVo xl4 or the $500 Premiere?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #60
Johncv

Quote:

If info from the “rumorvurse” is correct new systems from Micro$ and Sony will not be out real soon. Both are rumor to use the same off the shelf chipset and video card and Micro$ will add a blu-ray drive the new Xbox. So both systems will be more or less the “same”. Both systems will NOT be backward compatible. New games will be “tied” to the system it loaded onto and cannot be re-sold when your done with the game. If all turn out to be true I don’t see many gamer buying the new systems.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote