TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
newbster

What's the best way for mutliple rooms?

I currently have a Series 3 with a lifetime subscription. I would like to use a tivo in at least one more room instead of the FIOS DVR there. What options do I have? Is it possible to have one Tivo box with multiple tuners serving many rooms? In this case there is network connections in both rooms. Ideally, just one head box with all my subscriptions so I don;t need to set up one on my Tivo and another on the FIOS box I have now. I also have decent wireless connectivity throughout the house. What is my best whole house solution?
newbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
jmpage2

The box you are describing is the TiVo Mini, which will let you watch live TV and recordings in another room of the home, assuming you can wire it up to a TiVo XL4 via coax/MOCA or wired ethernet.

That box is supposed to be available "this Fall". I expect it will need to be in stores by the end of October or TiVo is going to miss out on holiday sales... big time.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
newbster

Thanks!

I'm reading up on it now. Hopefully, I can limit what streams to which box as I'd like to restrict what my kids can select. Maybe I'm stuck with the possibility of needing two separate Tivo's. I wish I did not have to pay for two subscriptions in the same house.

Is there any possibility of an app I could install on a computer attached to a TV that would do something similar? I love the Tivo interface but maybe there is a decent HTPC option? I have not been following this stuff recently so I'm a bit behind. Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
jmpage2

Yes, you can build an HTPC and using a variety of apps you can download programs from the TiVo that don't have the copy-protect bit set and then you can play those on an HTPC.

This is not "easy" and I think you are better off waiting for the TiVo Mini, and find out when it is released what parental controls, etc, it has.

The anticipation is that the Mini will not require a TiVo subscription. It will probably cost about the same or less than a very low end HTPC.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbster View Post
Thanks!

I'm reading up on it now. Hopefully, I can limit what streams to which box as I'd like to restrict what my kids can select. Maybe I'm stuck with the possibility of needing two separate Tivo's. I wish I did not have to pay for two subscriptions in the same house.

Is there any possibility of an app I could install on a computer attached to a TV that would do something similar? I love the Tivo interface but maybe there is a decent HTPC option? I have not been following this stuff recently so I'm a bit behind. Thanks again.
Just one thing... look into getting lifetime instead of paying monthly. It makes the box more valuable and after a few years, it pays for itself.

I had same problem as you, I ended up getting another premiere box w/lifetime and just called it a day
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
The box you are describing is the TiVo Mini, which will let you watch live TV and recordings in another room of the home, assuming you can wire it up to a TiVo XL4 via coax/MOCA or wired ethernet.

That box is supposed to be available "this Fall". I expect it will need to be in stores by the end of October or TiVo is going to miss out on holiday sales... big time.
That won't work with his S3, will it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That won't work with his S3, will it?
Correct.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
newbster

Guess I'll have to wait and see. I do have a lifetime subscription on my S3 which I bought when they first came out. It almost seems as if I should buy a new unit and use both until something happens with the Minis to see if that would work. I wish they would sell an app to install on a win7 or linux box that would integrate web browsing etc. I have a win7 machine hooked up to a 65' plasma in my living room and would love to just install an app and use it like a Tivo with the option of running games/apps and web browsing like it has now. In short, an all in one solution beyond just a tivo.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Guess I'll have to wait and see. I do have a lifetime subscription on my S3 which I bought when they first came out. It almost seems as if I should buy a new unit and use both until something happens with the Minis to see if that would work. I wish they would sell an app to install on a win7 or linux box that would integrate web browsing etc. I have a win7 machine hooked up to a 65' plasma in my living room and would love to just install an app and use it like a Tivo with the option of running games/apps and web browsing like it has now. In short, an all in one solution beyond just a tivo.
Just give me that S3 and start from scratch.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
jmpage2

Quote:
So TiVo should provide a PC app that turns your PC into a full blown TiVo client to watch your recordings from your TiVo as well as integrating all of the TiVo provided services like Netflix, Amazon, etc?

And how does TiVo make money in this utopian world you are envisioning? Just the cost of providing the tech support for a PC app (free or paid for) would probably drive them under, not to mention that as long as TiVo has to kowtow to the content providers it will never happen... TiVo does offer a TiVo-To-Go app, so I suppose you could look into that but it does not sound like it does most of what you are after, it's also a paid for app, not a free one.

The Mini is TiVos response to the very real threat to their existence which is that every other "service provider" be it Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network are offering whole home solutions where a single DVR can serve the needs of the whole house. TiVo is trying to respond to that.

So yes, if you want a "whole home TiVo" solution you are going to have to spend money... either on another TiVo today, or a TiVo/Mini combination in the future.

There's also nothing stopping you from building an HTPC (which will probably run you $350-$450 assuming you buy a Windows 7 license) and installing things like TiVo-To-Go, or scripts like KMMTG to pull your TiVo recordings onto the PC, then you can run other scripts to edit out the commercials. Then you can install media players to play the files.... and possibly other plugins or apps to handle your various other services like Amazon VOD, etc, or use a browser.

At the end of the day there's no free lunch.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm reading up on it now. Hopefully, I can limit what streams to which box as I'd like to restrict what my kids can select.
If it works like TiVo to TiVo streaming then you'll be able to setup Parental Controls so the Mini in the kids room would require a password to watch anything beyond the rating you set. However it does not filter the My Shows list like the old Kid Zone did, so if you have anything in My Shows with an offensive name you don't want your kids to see then you may need two TiVos.

Although there is a new update coming this fall, so who knows what features it might bring. Maybe they'll bring back Kid Zone or some similar feature.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
newbster

Quote:

At the end of the day there's no free lunch.
I had no problem buying my first Tivo with lifetime service in 99, nor around 700 plus transferring the lifetime service for the series 3 when it first came out. For that matter, nor did I have a problem paying 3500 for the above mentioned Plasma. Why would you presume I would not expect to pay a fair value for the app? A Tivo is essentially an app on a specifically built low end Linux box. While I'd love to have a ported app to run on any of my Win7 boxes it probably won't ever happen due to low market demand. I already have an app to push/stream from my pc's to Tivo but would love a fully integrated product. It would be great as a built in product for internet accessible TV's. I appreciate the good advice and information but please try to be fair across the boards.

"There's also nothing stopping you from building an HTPC (which will probably run you $350-$450 assuming you buy a Windows 7 license) and installing things like TiVo-To-Go, or scripts like KMMTG to pull your TiVo recordings onto the PC, then you can run other scripts to edit out the commercials. Then you can install media players to play the files.... and possibly other plugins or apps to handle your various other services like Amazon VOD, etc, or use a browser."

Is there any builds that pull these functionalitys together? While I assume I could use a remote, I'm still out the interface.

Last edited by newbster : 09-18-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
jmpage2

Quote:
I had no problem buying my first Tivo with lifetime service in 99, nor around 700 plus transferring the lifetime service for the series 3 when it first came out. For that matter, nor did I have a problem paying 3500 for the above mentioned Plasma. Why would you presume I would not expect to pay a fair value for the app? A Tivo is essentially an app on a specifically built low end Linux box. While I'd love to have a ported app to run on any of my Win7 boxes it probably won't ever happen due to low market demand. I already have an app to push/stream from my pc's to Tivo but would love a fully integrated product. It would be great as a built in product for internet accessible TV's. I appreciate the good advice and information but please try to be fair across the boards.
Sorry if I came across as borderline-hostile.... it's election season!

I look at it this way... I buy new iPhones/iPads TVs, AVRs, subwoofers and game consoles pretty frequently... I suspect many do.

Yet the single most important component in my entire family room is the TiVo.... because it records the programs that make up about 75% of the material we watch weekly.

So, if I have to upgrade my TiVo every 3-4 years (I upgraded my S3 to an XL4 that was about 3.5 yrs old) and buy a new lifetime subscription I personally don't view it as that big a deal... especially if it makes it a possibility to use an add-on room device like the TiVo Mini which should not carry any subscription.

If you lifetime all of your TiVos they hold their resale pretty well apparently, so at least you can flip them after they are upgraded and absorb some of the cost that way.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
So TiVo should provide a PC app that turns your PC into a full blown TiVo client to watch your recordings from your TiVo as well as integrating all of the TiVo provided services like Netflix, Amazon, etc?

And how does TiVo make money in this utopian world you are envisioning?
He said he would be willing to pay for it.

Quote:
Just the cost of providing the tech support for a PC app (free or paid for) would probably drive them under
Not as long as the price of the app is sufficient to cover the cost of support. That's how companies that provide software make money, and they do, you know.

Quote:
TiVo does offer a TiVo-To-Go app
Which rather blows your basic assertions apart.

Quote:
so I suppose you could look into that but it does not sound like it does most of what you are after, it's also a paid for app, not a free one.
Not true. There are both free and paid versions. It's a truly lousy app, however, and there are far better 3rd party solutions.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Is there any builds that pull these functionalitys together? While I assume I could use a remote, I'm still out the interface.
Not off the shelf, AFAIK. I think pyTivo could be configured to serve one Tivo from one set of shares and another from a different set of shares, thus allowing you to limit the access to certain content on a server for one TiVo. You would have to cobble something together, but I don't think it would be unreasonably difficult. Alternately, you could approach one or more of the developers directly to see if they would be interested in implementing a parental control feature.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
moedaman

Quote:
Well since everyone feels that Tivo loses money on the hardware, selling you an app plus a subscription might be more profitable for them. No need to integrate those services though, since you can already access them through your pc's browser.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
lrhorer

True, or via Galleon or kmttg, or even pyTivo, although it is not pyTivo's principle purpose.