TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
Meater

3 new TiVo's but cannot stream to one of them...

I have 2 Roamio Plus and 1 Premiere XL4, all on the same account, all on the same subnet, 1 Roamio has setup the MOCA network, the other 2 set as MOCA (no ethernet connected). Without making any changes to my network or account, Roamio A and the Premiere can no longer stream to the Roamio B but can transfer from both (all could previously stream and transfer between each other). Interestingly, both Roamio A and Premiere can stream and transfer between each other. So there is something wrong with Roamio B. Reviewing the Whole Home Advanced menu from Roamio B, it shows Roamio B supports only Live TV and Transfer but not Streaming. Selecting Roamio A under this menu shows only Transfer supported but not streaming. And again choosing the Premiere under this menu shows only Transfer, not streaming.

If I'm controlling the Roamio A or Premiere at their locations, they show streaming and transferring working but not for Roamio B.

I've ensured all TiVo's on the same account, all on the same subnet, no strange characters in their names, restarted all TiVo's, ensured most up-to-date software but Roamio A and Premiere still cannot stream to Roamio B. I have even tried changing the Roamio that created the MOCA network from B to A. But no changes. My RX and TX rates are way above minimum. I have restarted my modern router, etc, etc.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks everyone.

Mark

Meater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
tatergator1

One thing to check would be to physically switch Roamio A with Roamio B and see how each performs. This would tell you if there's something in the coax cable that's making MoCA at one location unstable. If the issue stays with Roamio B, it could be a hardware issue.

Also, I didn't see a reference as to whether Roamio A or B was creating the MoCA network. I'm gonna guess Roamio A is creating the MoCA network. The MoCA to the Premiere is good, but the MoCA to Roamio B has an issue.

I had a similar issue when I first setup my new Roamio along with my existing Premiere 2-tuner. I could always transfer, but being able to stream between them would come and go. I was running them using Powerline Ethernet adapters. After a lot of testing to isolate the issue, it all came down to the Powerline adapters. Something about the Powerline network was inhibiting streaming between the two boxes. I switched to MoCA and haven't had an issue since.

tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Meater

Hey Tater,

Thanks for your input. Streaming did previously work between all 3 Tivos. I have tried switching Moca host from B to A without change previously. I also have enough Ethernet ports in my house to switch from Moca to Ethernet between all 3 and doing so did not fix Roamio B's problem. I will try and swap A and B's position and see, like you say, if it's cable related or hardware. I will also reset my router. Keep you posted. Thanks.

Mark

Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Meater

OK I went ahead and swapped the location of Roamio A and Roamio B to see if wiring or connections were the problem...did not fix Roamio B. Roamio A in the swapped location could still transfer and stream between my Premiere but still only transfer between Roamio B. I'm leaning towards a hardware issue and now wondering how I can find a solution without purchasing a new Roamio. I can still transfer between all TiVo's but not having the streaming feature just sets me back a few steps in the seamlessness of DVRing.

Mark

Old 11-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
lpwcomp

This may or may not do any good, but it won't hurt. If you haven't done so already, set up all of the TiVos with fixed IP addresses and reboot everything.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
kherr

I had similar problem, I rebooted all the Tivos and it fixed it ...

kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Meater

I've ensured all Tivo's have a fixed IP address, rebooted all Tivo's, rebooted Router... no change. Roamio B still can only transfer and not stream. Hmmm.
Any other thoughts before I give up? Thanks everyone.

Mark

Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
HerronScott

Have any of them updated to the latest update (Roamio B maybe or perhaps just Roamio A and the Premiere?)?

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
tatergator1

As one final check, take B and hook it up via Ethernet directly to your router. See if you can stream to it. If that works, the issue may be isolated to the MoCA hardware in B. You could consider the feasability running Ethernet to B's permanent location.

Edit: just re-read your earlier posts and see you've already tried Ethernet. One final thought, on the System information screen, there's a line that shows various permissions for transferring, etc. per the TiVo servers. I forget the exact heading, but the text string will be something like i,i,i,a etc. how do the values compare between TiVo's?

Last edited by tatergator1; 11-03-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Meater

Scott:

All 3 TiVo's have been connected to TiVo servers multiple times in the last few weeks to try and resolve this problem. I will, however, verify that the system info shows the same software version. Thanks for the input.

Tater:

I will review the System info and compare amongst the TiVo's and get back to you. Thanks for the idea.

Mark

Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Meater

Hey Tater,

Just looked in the System Info menu...

The line you were referring to is the TiVoToGo: line.
On Roamio B = a,a,a,i
On Roamio A = a,a,a,a
On Premiere = a,a,a,a

So there's a difference there. I also confirmed that A and B had the same software version. Premiere was slightly different likely for Series 4 compatibility.

Ok, what now?

Mark

Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Meater

I just ran across this old thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509477

I'll keep doing some research and maybe Customer Service can change something on their end. But just to be clear re: using switches. Sure I have a few switches outside my main router but during troubleshooting, I've ensured that each TiVo is directly connected to my main router as Ethernet connected and am not currently using MOCA to eliminate other problem variables. Thanks everyone.

Mark

Old 11-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meater View Post

I'll keep doing some research and maybe Customer Service can change something on their end. But just to be clear re: using switches. Sure I have a few switches outside my main router but during troubleshooting, I've ensured that each TiVo is directly connected to my main router as Ethernet connected and am not currently using MOCA to eliminate other problem variables. Thanks everyone.

Mark
Don't get hung up on the Tivo doesn't support switches" portion of that thread. That "i" is most certainly the problem. Run through this support page for some things to try:

Multi-Room Streaming Troubleshooting

I think one other step that's not mentioned on that page is to change the DVR name of Roamio B, do some service connections on all the boxes until they show the new name, and then try to set he Video Sharing options from your Tivo.com account. Hopefully this exercise will set TivoToGo config to the proper values.

If that fails, you you'll have to go through Tivo Support until you can get it escalated high enough to someone that can modify the database values on Tivo's servers.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:

Mark
I would suggest logging into your TiVo account and checking the "Device preferences" for the offending TiVo. If both options are checked, unccheck them, force a connection to the TiVo service, wait for everything to complete, check them, force another connection, and see if the TTG flags change to "a,a,a,a".

You might also want to check your router and make sure that it sees all of the TiVos with the correct IP addresses and isn't connected to any of them via wireless.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
Meater

Ok thanks for everyone's ideas...

So with problem child Roamio B (a,a,a,i), I went to TiVo.com and deselected transfers for all 3 TiVo's, and renamed all 3 TiVo's, saved. Waited a few minutes, forced connection, looked in System Info and it changed to "i,i,i,i". OK, then I logged into TiVo.com, selected transfer boxes, saved, waited a few minutes, forced connection, and it changed it back to "a,a,a,i".
So that didn't fix it.

Looking into the router (I have ASUS RT-AC66U, awesome btw). My 3 TiVo's are there at their respective fixed IP addresses. But I'm noticing something...there are 2 other IP addresses with a generic name like "Tivo-xxxxxxxxxx" (x being numbers). Looking at their MAC addresses, it appears that both are merely one number off from Roamia A and Roamio B. For example... ".......:E8:17 and .......:E8:18" for Roamio B and "......:1C:6A and 1C:6B" for Roamio A. They all appear in the "Wired" category so it can't be an additional wireless connection. What in each Roamio (not the Premiere) is creating those additional IP addresses with nearly identical MAC addresses? I have no other TiVo devices wired or wireless on my network.

Tater: I'll try and just change the names and force connections before I try and change the transfer option.

Keep you posted.

Mark

Old 11-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ok thanks for everyone's ideas...

So with problem child Roamio B (a,a,a,i), I went to TiVo.com and deselected transfers for all 3 TiVo's, and renamed all 3 TiVo's, saved. Waited a few minutes, forced connection, looked in System Info and it changed to "i,i,i,i". OK, then I logged into TiVo.com, selected transfer boxes, saved, waited a few minutes, forced connection, and it changed it back to "a,a,a,i".
So that didn't fix it.

Looking into the router (I have ASUS RT-AC66U, awesome btw). My 3 TiVo's are there at their respective fixed IP addresses. But I'm noticing something...there are 2 other IP addresses with a generic name like "Tivo-xxxxxxxxxx" (x being numbers). Looking at their MAC addresses, it appears that both are merely one number off from Roamia A and Roamio B. For example... ".......:E8:17 and .......:E8:18" for Roamio B and "......:1C:6A and 1C:6B" for Roamio A. They all appear in the "Wired" category so it can't be an additional wireless connection. What in each Roamio (not the Premiere) is creating those additional IP addresses with nearly identical MAC addresses? I have no other TiVo devices wired or wireless on my network.

Tater: I'll try and just change the names and force connections before I try and change the transfer option.

Keep you posted.

Mark
The 2 "extra" IP addresses are for the built-in Streams.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #17
Meater

Sorry for all the updates...

It appears the 2 IP addresses/ 2 MAC addresses are for TiVo and built-in Stream...so that clarifies that for now...

Mark

Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
tatergator1

At least we've isolated the issue and can be pretty confident the Roamio B hardware is fine. As moyekj indicated in the thread you linked earlier, this is probably going to require escalation to Tivo Support and someone that can manually modify the permissions on Tivo's servers. Something is f'ed up and the usual routes don't appear to be working.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #19
Meater

I noticed another difference during my continued troubleshooting...

TivoToGo on Roamio A and Premiere always have an "a" in 4th position regardless of transfers on vs off. "a,a,a,a" or "i,i,i,a"

Roamio B either looks like "a,a,a,i" or "i,i,i,i"

So I think no matter what I do in no matter what order or no matter where Roamio B is placed in the network, I need to escalate this to higher up in Customer Support so they can look at the database and try to modify something or else I just need a new Roamio. Thanks for everyone's help.

Mark

Old 11-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
I noticed another difference during my continued troubleshooting...

TivoToGo on Roamio A and Premiere always have an "a" in 4th position regardless of transfers on vs off. "a,a,a,a" or "i,i,i,a"

Roamio B either looks like "a,a,a,i" or "i,i,i,i"

So I think no matter what I do in no matter what order or no matter where Roamio B is placed in the network, I need to escalate this to higher up in Customer Support so they can look at the database and try to modify something or else I just need a new Roamio. Thanks for everyone's help.

Mark
Especially since that 4th position appears to be specifically for streaming as it doesn't exist on my THD (or presumably on my TiVo 2 but can't check right now).

Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
Meater

After having spent an hour with TiVo support last week and gaining valuable insight into what my problem likely was (thanks to you guys), TiVo support was able to identify my "a,a,a,i" problem within 2 minutes. It turns out that Roamio B was not in the proper MRS (multi-room streaming) group on their side. The solution is for the backend techs to download changes to Roamio B with the proper settings. It will take 3-5 days when they get around to it. The rep said he hasn't ever had a feature be removed after it was working, but he's had new units need the change out of the box. Very strange. If you don't hear from me in 3-5 days, call this problem solved. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Mark

Old 11-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Especially since that 4th position appears to be specifically for streaming as it doesn't exist on my THD (or presumably on my TiVo 2 but can't check right now).
Yeah, S2s only have 3 letters, and not 4, in the TiVoToGo column as well.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote