TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

Stream Survey

Took a survey from TiVo today with regards to the Stream. Some of the questions asked were would I be interested in watching Stream shows on other devices such as Roku, Apple TV, PC's and game consoles. Some other questions were about streaming and downloading unprotected shows outside of the network. One that I really hope comes to fruition is downloading protected shows to a device. They made sure to state that if protected shows were downloaded to a device, it would be deleted from the TiVo.

Hopefully better things are coming for The Stream
Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Like Android support!
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpcgeek View Post
They made sure to state that if protected shows were downloaded to a device, it would be deleted from the TiVo.

I wonder if they could block it from being re-recorded as long as it's still on your device. Or if that would cause it to be deleted from the device.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

The copy once flag means it can only ever exist on one device at a time. They could technically move it, but they would have to delete it bit by bit as it was being transferred or delete it from the source before the transfer even started. If there is even a moment where you could watch it on both devices they'd be in violation of their CableLabs agreement.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
jcthorne

All they would have to do is flag it some way internally that its in transfer and cannot be played. Then delete when the transfer is done. Could be done between tivos as well.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The copy once flag means it can only ever exist on one device at a time. They could technically move it, but they would have to delete it bit by bit as it was being transferred or delete it from the source before the transfer even started. If there is even a moment where you could watch it on both devices they'd be in violation of their CableLabs agreement.

Dan

But nothing could prevent me from recording a protected HBO show on two TiVos and moving one to a device, right?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
But nothing could prevent me from recording a protected HBO show on two TiVos and moving one to a device, right?
Yeah, I would think that would be fine. Actually, there is no reason why you couldn't record that same protected HBO show to the same TiVo twice and only move one of them.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Actually, there is no reason why you couldn't record that same protected HBO show to the same TiVo twice and only move one of them.

that's what I was trying to say further up, but probably didn't word it correctly.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Yeah, I would think that would be fine. Actually, there is no reason why you couldn't record that same protected HBO show to the same TiVo twice and only move one of them.
Actually I think there might be an issue with that. I'm not 100% but I think the rules prevent them from using multiple tuners to record the same program multiple times. Although if they were recorded from different time slots then you could probably still get around that.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Actually I think there might be an issue with that. I'm not 100% but I think the rules prevent them from using multiple tuners to record the same program multiple times. Although if they were recorded from different time slots then you could probably still get around that.

Dan
Correct, you could not record the same show twice at the same time. But HBO repeats movies / series several times (usually a day). So getting two copies of the same show should be pretty easy.

If you have two TiVos you could record the same show at the same time.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote