TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
jeffw_00

Do I get SW updates before subscribing? What is latest SW update? (HDTiVo)

I know this is somewhere, but a search wasn't revealing.

So I got my HDTiVo, and i figured I'd use the free week before I subscribe. But I do need to be SW updated before the cablecards arrive. Will I get the SW updates before the CCards arrive without service? I've had it hooked up for 24hrs now and the SW revision is
8.1.7c2.01.2652

Is that the latest?

Thanks very much!
/j
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
RoyK

go to the menu Messages & Settings/Settings/Phone & Network and Connect to the TiVo service Now. When it finishes check the status at the top of the Phone & Network screen. If it says "Pending Restart" you have received the update. Restart your tivo to install it.

If it says "succeeded" instead of "Pending Restart" try it again. You should be able to force the download with two or three connects to the TiVo service at most.

Latest version is 11.0
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
trussrules

The most current version is 11 - the TiVo will upgrade automatically after several calls home. You can force those calls if you go to Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Phone & Network - > Connect to TiVo Service Now. Do that several times and you will end up with the most current software version.

However, there is a known bug with the most current software version and TiVo's that aren't subscribed. You can read more here:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=412742
trussrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
jeffw_00

Oooh - thanks for the heads up on the bug. I appreciate it.
/j
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
wjohna

Why did TiVo send me HD with v.9x software?

I spent 2-3 hours yesterday with support at Cablevision and TiVo trying to figure out why my TiVo wasn't tuning any channels beyond basic broadcast. A missing VOD menu led me to check my software version,which was v9.x. After forcing an update of the software (v11.x), everything is now working--all channels are being received and VOD menu is present.

My question is: Why would this unit be shipped with such dated software? It appears v11+ is not new (by maybe a couple years or so?). Not only did an apparently knowledgeable agent at TiVo not know to suggest the software update, but this would have saved several people a lot of time. I see several references online to others who had to force the same upgrade to get Netflix to work.

Big TiVo supporter, just curious.
wjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohna View Post
I spent 2-3 hours yesterday with support at Cablevision and TiVo trying to figure out why my TiVo wasn't tuning any channels beyond basic broadcast. A missing VOD menu led me to check my software version,which was v9.x. After forcing an update of the software (v11.x), everything is now working--all channels are being received and VOD menu is present.

My question is: Why would this unit be shipped with such dated software? It appears v11+ is not new (by maybe a couple years or so?). Not only did an apparently knowledgeable agent at TiVo not know to suggest the software update, but this would have saved several people a lot of time. I see several references online to others who had to force the same upgrade to get Netflix to work.

Big TiVo supporter, just curious.
TiVos aren't built to order. My guess is that TiVo had a huge (cost-effective) batch of units made early on, and now they're just shipping them from warehouse stock. To update a unit to the latest software would require pulling it from the box, connecting it, allowing it to download, then repacking it. Why go to all of that expense when the unit will update itself as soon as you connect it anyway?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The latest software is 11.0k (note the 'k'). TiVo has explained they don't try to install the latest update in shipped units, because it's easier and less confusing (for them at least). Unfortunately, if you don't force connections as described earlier in this thread, you can end up waiting a day or more before the update occurs. Let's face it, TiVo's aren't as user friendly as Apple products.

Probably obvious from earlier posts, but whether you have CableCARD installed has no bearing on getting software updates.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
SNJpage1

I have never seen my HD doing an update and never got any messages saying it did one. Does it do it all in the back ground with out any help from me and nothing saying it did one?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

It does it automatically usually in the wee hours and presumably while you're not recording anything, since a reboot is involved. You only need to force it by forcing connections then manually restarting if you are in a hurry.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Choose "Messages and Settings-->Account & System Information-->System Information" That will tell you the current version of your Tivo Software.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote